Welsh lockdown

captainhastings

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Right lets get the ball rolling again. Whats classed as exercise fishing? walking around with a gun? as long as you stay local.
All because he lets folks go on the lash and holiday makers in. Me and my mate work all week dont mix and just enjoy out free time with the guns in the open. All down the pan again 

Agreed - was looking forward to going NWSS on Saturday as it was shut last Saturday - but that is down the pan now

5 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Right lets get the ball rolling again. Whats classed as exercise fishing? walking around with a gun? as long as you stay local.
All because he lets folks go on the lash and holiday makers in. Me and my mate work all week dont mix and just enjoy out free time with the guns in the open. All down the pan again 

You & your mate sound like extras from deliverance 😀

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Please see BASC advice which covers the point

Thank you Dave and ****** 😞

Welsh ‘firebreak’ lockdown 23 October to 9 November

A two-week Welsh ‘firebreak’ lockdown will take effect from 6pm Friday 23 October until Monday 9 November.

Everyone in Wales will be required to stay at home. Exceptions will be for exercise, for critical workers and where working from home is not possible. No gatherings will be permitted with people you do not live with either indoors or outdoors.

During the lockdown period it would be a reasonable excuse to continue carrying out essential bird or mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock with the landowner’s permission. It would not be a reasonable excuse to take part in recreational shooting activities such as target shooting, game shooting, and wildfowling.

More details will follow once the regulations have been made and published.

51 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

A real ******. Been praying she doesn’t do the same here in Scotland. We are managing to keep going on all fronts but are starting to see shoot days cancelled as guns can’t travel. For me that means no picking up!

This must be a nightmare for people who run the shoots , we used to get a lot of teams that come over from France , Belgium , Germany and Holland , sadly not this year , I have now got my doubts weather we will see the season finish without any lockdowns like Wales are now going through .

Our shoots have been butchered for the season but at least they are only small fry. My son's godfather puts down 95,000 birds in mid Wales. He will be losing 6/7 days with this two week lockdown. They are  mostly 500 bird days so it is hard to get more days in the week or more birds in a day during the rest of the season. 

Edited by WalkedUp

6 minutes ago, marsh man said:

This must be a nightmare for people who run the shoots , we used to get a lot of teams that come over from France , Belgium , Germany and Holland , sadly not this year , I have now got my doubts weather we will see the season finish without any lockdowns like Wales are now going through .

Yep that’s the score for the estate I work on. Just had two days this week cancelled

Drakeford was always going to be the first to lockdown.The man is afraid of his own shadow.Wales was the last to come out of the lockdown Inthe summer.We have had localised lockdowns for weeks that have done nothing. There are areas of Wales that will have been in some sort of lockdown since early September.Goodness knows what the ""Welsh Government" will do after the next two weeks.Watch this space.We might as well put the guns away until mid November,if we are lucky.

7 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Our shoots have been butchered for the season but at least they are only small fry. My son's godfather puts down 95,000 birds in mid Wales. He will be losing 6/7 days with this two week lockdown. They are  mostly 500 bird days so it is hard to get more days in the week or more birds in a day during the rest of the season. 

One of our shoot members sadly died last year , he had deep pockets and used to take his son the width and breadth on some of the top game shoots in the country , when I asked him one day what did he think the best one was he said without giving it a thought one in Wales , he showed me the catalogue that the shoot give out and it certainly look top class , can't think of the name of the shoot but Wales have got a very good reputation amongst game shooters for some class shooting , lets hope they soon get back to some sort of normality .

I don’t want to mention his shoot by name but it’s probably the same one. I was fortunate to shoot there a few years ago and without a doubt one of the best experiences of my life. The food and drinks were fantastic. The whole day was brilliant. The terrain is fantastic and fortunately my form was uncharacteristically good that day. 

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

One of our shoot members sadly died last year , he had deep pockets and used to take his son the width and breadth on some of the top game shoots in the country , when I asked him one day what did he think the best one was he said without giving it a thought one in Wales , he showed me the catalogue that the shoot give out and it certainly look top class , can't think of the name of the shoot but Wales have got a very good reputation amongst game shooters for some class shooting , lets hope they soon get back to some sort of normality .

Bewtts Hall?

13 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I normally have no issue with big bag days but in the current climate I worry whether there is a market for the game. I know some smaller shoots that are having to give the birds away. I know there have been rumours in the past of big shoots burying the bag and if it wasn’t happening in the past I suspect it is now. 

It was a brave or foolhardy man who put down 95,000 birds this season when there was a strong likely hood of how things would pan out. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

I normally have no issue with big bag days but in the current climate I worry whether there is a market for the game. I know some smaller shoots that are having to give the birds away. I know there have been rumours in the past of big shoots burying the bag and if it wasn’t happening in the past I suspect it is now. 

It was a brave or foolhardy man who put down 95,000 birds this season when there was a strong likely hood of how things would pan out. 

You can start another topic if you want to go down the ‘rumour’ path of buried birds, where you can explain your ‘suspicions’ at length, if that’s all you have, but ANY estate spending that sort of money is in serious business and should be equipped for the storage of those shot birds, as are the dealers. 
There are always other avenues available rather than dumping, but you’ve heard rumours and have your suspicions. 
Lost revenue of six or seven days is regrettable but the numbers of birds accrued over those days is insignificant from a total of 95,000. 
If a days shooting is cancelled it follows that there won’t be any game to collect. 
I’m a little puzzled why you think in the present climate there would be no market for it. 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

You can start another topic if you want to go down the ‘rumour’ path of buried birds, where you can explain your ‘suspicions’ at length, if that’s all you have, but ANY estate spending that sort of money is in serious business and should be equipped for the storage of those shot birds, as are the dealers. 
There are always other avenues available rather than dumping, but you’ve heard rumours and have your suspicions. 
Lost revenue of six or seven days is regrettable but the numbers of birds accrued over those days is insignificant from a total of 95,000. 
If a days shooting is cancelled it follows that there won’t be any game to collect. 
I’m a little puzzled why you think in the present climate there would be no market for it. 

I said ‘rumour’ as I don’t have any evidence of it. I have been told by others but in the absence of hard evidence eg photos it is just that -  A rumour. I hope it is an unfounded rumour as I would not frequent anywhere that was proven to do so. 

As I said small shoots who would normally sell excess game to a game dealer have told me that the game dealers they normally use are not taking any more game in due to lack of demand with restaurants being closed, or serving fewer covers. 

15 minutes ago, AVB said:

I said ‘rumour’ as I don’t have any evidence of it. I have been told by others but in the absence of hard evidence eg photos it is just that -  A rumour. I hope it is an unfounded rumour as I would not frequent anywhere that was proven to do so. 

As I said small shoots who would normally sell excess game to a game dealer have told me that the game dealers they normally use are not taking any more game in due to lack of demand with restaurants being closed, or serving fewer covers. 

Yeah, plenty of rumours and suspicion, but that’s all it is.
If anyone wants to name a guilty estate or shoot I’m all ears. 

I don’t know of any game dealers refusing to take game, even at pennies per bird or for free, restaurants aren’t their only outlet. 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Amazingly no person has blamed Brexit for all of this..... YET

They certainly would have done if things weren't just as bad in Europe. 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I'd say this year would be a great time to get people eating game, if we believe all we're told people will be struggling so if the game can be given out free or at process cost, the positive reaction would make a welcome change