Anyone know anyone who has (a) died (b) died before their time due to Covid?

Mungler

Speaking to a mate today and he pondered ‘you know what, I know a lot of people and I talk to a lot of people and I don’t know of and have not been told of, anyone dying of Covid’.

Then it struck me that the was true of me but I reckon I know and speak to a lot more people than my mate, who himself is not a hermit.

Now, I run a small business with somewhere between 30-40 staff including part timers. We’re a close knit firm and I know everything there is to know about the people I work with and their stories and interactions, and I would go as far to say that I don’t know anyone who knows of anyone dying of Covid. I know people who have had it (both young and old) and I know of a 70 year old who needed 1 week on oxygen but who is right as rain now and 2 foreign holidays down that road.

So, I ask all on here does anyone know anyone (first hand knowledge please and not bloke down the pub or the local paper said a bloke etc) who has died of Covid and whether there was consensus that the death was before their time? Eg if you had a 90 year old Uncle constantly in and out of hospital last year and who got Covid and passed this year, then the report of ‘my uncle got it and died’ really does necessitate the additional context.

Sorry in advance for the blunt topic I’m still ordering the thoughts in my head about all this.

Edited by Mungler

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No.  I know 11 people, one a child who have all tested positive.  Of that number the first two back in March, both male one in his 30s the other around 50 were the only two to have symptoms that meant they ended up in hospital and both Drs, both re overed.  The rest didn’t really have any severe symptoms and one a few no symptoms.  It makes me wonder if we weren’t in Covid times whether they simply would have just felt they were off colour so to speak and one or two just wouldn’t have had a clue.

Edited by Sian
Forgot to actually answer yes or no.

I know quite a few folk who’ve had it locally, and I live in a very rural area, but only one person who has died from it and she was 94.
There were another two in town who brought it back from Italy right at the beginning of the the first lockdown, but I didn’t know them. 
The 94 year old lady went into hospital for a routine op’ and contracted it whilst in there. The mind boggling bit about it for me though, is that one of her daughters was allowed to be by her bedside, knowing she had it, and she contracted it and ended up in IC for two weeks!  I know them both very well; the daughter has made a full recovery. 
The daughter holds no animosity towards the hospital as she knows 94 is a bloody good innings anyhow! 

I think I hold the record on here, I know eleven including my OH's cousin who have died. Several former work colleagues according to the retirees website, a couple of my former customers, plus my old next door neighbour who only ever went down to the paper shop and back.

My mate died in a care home early on, he was recovering from a stroke but otherwise in reasonably good health. It sounded like  C-19 but I don't know if he was ever tested.

my ex wife's cousin has just come out of hospital, for a while i thought she was going to be number twelve. Interestingly, she was probably the oldest on her ward when she was in there and she is 43. She is far from recovered, although covid free now, she has still got a lot of problems. 

Edited by Vince Green

Me, the wife and daughters had it and we were asymptomatic.

My friend who, like me is in his early 50s with no ill health issues spent 4 weeks in hospital and another friend of 59 again with no health issues died in hospital from it.

Its Russian roulette, nobody knows how it might affect them.

My wife is a nurse in a general hospital,  they currently have 90 patients with CV19 on wards and are run off their feet.

Edited by Goldfish

I got quite a large network from days in the City. I don't know anybody who died. My wife's social network appears even bigger. She doesn't know anybody who has died. I know of two people in the UK who have had it, and one in the US. Quite a few suspected cases at children school but all turn out negative.  

Weird isn't it how some people know plenty, others so few. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

The 94 year old lady went into hospital for a routine op’ and contracted it whilst in there. The mind boggling bit about it for me though, is that one of her daughters was allowed to be by her bedside, knowing she had it, and she contracted it and ended up in IC for two weeks!  I know them both very well; the daughter has made a full recovery. 
The daughter holds no animosity towards the hospital as she knows 94 is a bloody good innings anyhow! 

Yeah, I’m going to have a guess that the ‘daughter’ to whom you refer is in her late 60’s to 70’s. Just an interesting thing about terminology because if you hear ‘daughter’ you think 20 years of age and under.

My mother died this week.

She went into hospital from a care home, she was diagnosed with a kidney infection and treated accordingly. However, whilst in hospital, she contracted COVID and passed away day before yesterday. She was 94.

I can’t say if she would have pulled through if she had been younger.

If she had not been admitted to hospital, she may be still alive. Who can say?

6 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Yeah, I’m going to have a guess that the ‘daughter’ to whom you refer is in her late 60’s to 70’s. Just an interesting thing about terminology because if you hear ‘daughter’ you think 20 years of age and under.

Yeah, she must be around 65 I would say.  It was touch and go for a while apparently but she has been left with no ill effects. 

Edited by Scully

7 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

My mother died this week.

She went into hospital from a care home, she was diagnosed with a kidney infection and treated accordingly. However, whilst in hospital, she contracted COVID and passed away day before yesterday. She was 94.

I can’t say if she would have pulled through if she had been younger.

If she had not been admitted to hospital, she may be still alive. Who can say?

That’s a shame, you have my sincere condolences. 

Fortunately no deaths but of the 8 cases I know of 2 came close (one 40ish and one 60 ish) and 2 others were hospitalised (again one 40ish and one 60 ish).  Of the four, two are suffering long term effects as are two of the others.   None of the 8 had any major heath problems that I know of  and the age range was 35 to IIRC 67.

Add to this both my daughter and I had what the medics(respiratory consultant) suspect was covid 19 back in January and suffered ongoing effects (aching joints and fatigue), daughter until late summer and mine continue occasionally.   It is these ongoing issues that could be the major ongoing problem for people and the health service sadly not the deaths.

Elder daughter's office manager's mum, middle-aged, no underlying problems, dead.

A school-gate mum at my younger daughter's kid's school, 30's, supposedly no underlying issues, dead.

All of my next door neighbour's overly gregarious family (house full of visitors, in and out of other neighbour's houses all the way through both lockdowns), self isolated once diagnosed, all recovered.

With our risk profiles (over 70, diabetes for me, high blood pressure for her) my wife and I have avoided mixing, have all our shopping delivered and have, so far, avoided it.

I'm just waiting for the jab to arrive