Live animal exports to be banned

old'un

Following on from a thread on Lab meat and seeing the news this morning on the ban of live animals exports to Europe for slaughter, I am just wondering how this will hit UK farming and do we still have the capacity to slaughter and process such numbers, also what will be the conditions the EU will want for the UK to export processed meat to them?

This can be done as we are exiting the EU at the end of the month. I see that already some farmers are complaining that it'll hit them financially. Well we've taken back control and if they, the farmers, don't like it then let take their farms and move to the EU. Or I've no doubt that as many of them voted Brexit as farmers they'll understand that as they've sown the seed they can now reap its harvest. Or maybe they should have thought beyond the nonsense that was being peddled on the side of a big red bus otherwise known as the law of unintended consequences.

Edited by enfieldspares

48 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

This a great news...you not have to look at the videos of uk livestock being exported to North African hovels (having come via Europe) to be abused by savages and you’ll be disgusted how they treat animals so anything that reduces this is good. 

I get the animal welfare bit, but if UK farmers carry on producing the same head of live stock it will need to-be slaughtered in the UK, do we still have the capacity to slaughter and process that amount of meat? Plus storage.

Is it possible we will see a growth in such businesses?

1 hour ago, oscarsdad said:

This a great news...you not have to look at the videos of uk livestock being exported to North African hovels (having come via Europe) to be abused by savages and you’ll be disgusted how they treat animals so anything that reduces this is good. 

Well said 👍👍👍

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, old'un said:

I get the animal welfare bit, but if UK farmers carry on producing the same head of live stock it will need to-be slaughtered in the UK, do we still have the capacity to slaughter and process that amount of meat? Plus storage.

Is it possible we will see a growth in such businesses?

The lamb market for one relies on exports to countries such as France and to a lesser degree Gremany, a market that wants live, not frozen/chilled lamb.

And yes, you are right, UK slaughter houses would not be able to cope with the numbers. The price fluctuates weekly and in many cases daily for home consumption due to the processing capability of UK slaughter and cutting houses. 

I don't know how many UK lambs end up in Africa or the Middle East but The EU say 10% of total EU lamb production is exported there, with, by far, the greater number going to the Middle East.

One thing to remember is that with a lamb costing say £100 at a UK market and loosing weight and therefore money on a daily basis if not fed and watered properly, it makes uneconomic sense for UK exported live lambs to be treated with anything but the best welfare standards. 

18 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

The lamb market for one relies on exports to countries such as France and to a lesser degree Gremany, a market that wants live, not frozen/chilled lamb.

And yes, you are right, UK slaughter houses would not be able to cope with the numbers. The price fluctuates weekly and in many cases daily for home consumption due to the processing capability of UK slaughter and cutting houses. 

I don't know how many UK lambs end up in Africa or the Middle East but The EU say 10% of total EU lamb production is exported there, with, by far, the greater number going to the Middle East.

One thing to remember is that with a lamb costing say £100 at a UK market and loosing weight and therefore money on a daily basis if not fed and watered properly, it makes uneconomic sense for UK exported live lambs to be treated with anything but the best welfare standards. 

Charlie, I think I have seen posts from you indicating you are involved with farming, apologies if I have it wrong.

If correct, perhaps you can tell me/us, that if we are unable to export live animals to the EU and they will not except frozen/chilled, where will your market be for such?

It is perhaps not as gloomy as I paint.

France as an example, import New Zealand lamb in reasonable quantities, so there is a market and bearing in mind shipping from NZ takes some 6 weeks we have that in our favor. I hope and believe, that given time the EU market will accept and become accustomed to buying chilled lamb carcases from us rather than live. It would certainly create employment in the UK and with investment in slaughtering here is something that I feel will happen, it will just take time to kick it into gear. It would also go some way towards evening out price fluctuations caused by slaughterhouse capacity.

I see UK meat exports to the EU crashing in the New Year until the logistics of export sort themselves out and with that in mind, I have been selling lambs furiously for the past month + so as not to get caught out.

Thanks for that Charlie.

I realise that the prices for lamb in the shops do not reflect what you get at market, but once we are processing our own meat which way are prices likely to head in the UK?

Also why is there not more Hogget available in the UK, cooked correctly the flavour is so much better, if you like the taste of lamb that is.

5 minutes ago, clangerman said:

price of meat spoiled the taste for me freezers full of game and venison taste all the better for costing nothing won’t be buying meat again until the ridiculous prices drop 

True, but you must admit a nice bit of lamb with mint sauce takes a lot of beating. :drool:

I think down in the short term, then rallying to best current prices once markets and the ability to kill sufficient are established. 

I think Hogget comes down to Jo public's taste. The modern  young housewife, if I'm allowed to use that expression these days, prefers a less strong tastes. 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Thanks for that Charlie.

I realise that the prices for lamb in the shops do not reflect what you get at market, but once we are processing our own meat which way are prices likely to head in the UK?

Also why is there not more Hogget available in the UK, cooked correctly the flavour is so much better, if you like the taste of lamb that is.

We call them "wedder"  basically mutton but with much more flavour and more fat[which helps] than lamb. we will have a couple of freezer's full soon.  Traditionally we cant finish lamb on the islands and ours are fattened on the mainland, except those intended for home consumption.😉 Recently a buyer from down south has been buying all the mutton he could get, to be served in posh restaurants.. I stopped keeping sheep a few ago but we are still eating the descendants of our original flock 👍 

Edited by islandgun

As I've said be careful what you wish for and the law of unintended consequences. The proposals encompass animals, horses and poultry. It is but a short step from this to Johnson's "eco warrior" nearest and others having the bright idea of suggesting extending this to imports as well as export. And then. later, but is suits no doubt their agenda the transport of live gamebird poults and ducklings within the UK and/or a ban on the import of live gamebird poults into the UK from the EU.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

As I've said be careful what you wish for and the law of unintended consequences. The proposals encompass animals, horses and poultry. It is but a short step from this to Johnson's "eco warrior" nearest and others having the bright idea of suggesting extending this to imports as well as export. And then. later, but is suits no doubt their agenda the transport of live gamebird poults and ducklings within the UK and/or a ban on the import of live gamebird poults into the UK from the EU.

Why do you assume you are somehow more enlightened than everyone else who voted for brexit? 

18 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I think that this is excellent news but I hope than we insist that none of our killing is done halal style.from Auntie. 

+1

I think there's little doubt if the vast majority of the general public was asked, they'd agree with this. 

23 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I think that this is excellent news but I hope than we insist that none of our killing is done halal style.from Auntie. 

Absolutely we should...it should be specifically labelled if killed with that barbaric Mumbo jumbo so that those of us who object to it can avoid it. It should be the exception not the norm that in a British shop meat is halal - the sooner packham and his mates go after this practice rather than targeting country sports the better. 

18 hours ago, oscarsdad said:

Absolutely we should...it should be specifically labelled if killed with that barbaric Mumbo jumbo so that those of us who object to it can avoid it. It should be the exception not the norm that in a British shop meat is halal - the sooner packham and his mates go after this practice rather than targeting country sports the better. 

Very well said. ....could not agree more on all counts.