Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know the debate on calibre 177 vs 22 is pretty much never resolving but I find .25 never bought in on said debates, now being a man having owned sub 12 guns for 40 years and have a liking for all size's I'm now totally taken with the bumble bee of flying lead that is the .25 it suites me and where I shoot, so what are your thought's? have you owned sub 12 .25?, why do many not consider it that much (this is a good thing more guns for me then!) all opinions are welcome and if your going to be scathing about it just at least be funny! 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, villaman said:

I have a BSA supersport .25 , but only takes the rhino pellets , might fit another barrel, I believe BSA lighting .25 fits 

I have a supersport with a .25 later barrel all modern pellets fit, but its a bit of a job so sell it to me it sound like a burden for you 😁

So as a calibre what are you thoughts? what do you use the gun for? what ranges?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've been tempted a few times but not yet, I tend to read loads of threads every now and then,  I'll get one some day.

Do it! it's the most fun your have with tweed on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a .25 bsa ultra  

Because I've not had one yet .

Do I think it will be great .er no .not really .I'm not even a fan of .22 cal in sub 12 .or even fac .

There is a monumental step up in performance when you go .25 over .22 or .177 in fac .but thatslinked to a huge hike in energy also .

But limited to sub 12 the heavy .25 s are much too slow for my liking .

I admit .they could be of some use boshing ferel pigeons in a barn but beyond that I see no practical  use .

Still want an ultra though .

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the. 25 ultra I've looked at, but there never close by when they come up, I like the idea for say feeder shooting so a fixed range,  they might be slow but there going to hit with a fair slap.

When other guns have come up they tend to have a lonnnnnnnnnnng barrel so put me off.

And the fact they don't come up for sale often second hand makes me think they must be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At 20 grn's your at or close to 500 fps but the pellets CSA has more drag, ho I think I just found a BSA "SS" carbine in .25...might need some rhino's or make a sizing die

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

I have a supersport with a .25 later barrel all modern pellets fit, but its a bit of a job so sell it to me it sound like a burden for you 😁

So as a calibre what are you thoughts? what do you use the gun for? what ranges?

No gun is a burden 😁 only used it for targets . I also shoot .25 FAC @72 ftlbs , so a bit of difference between the two . Personally every collection should have sub 12 .25 in it , that’s a good enough reason to have one 😂

Edited by villaman
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

I know the debate on calibre 177 vs 22 is pretty much never resolving but I find .25 never bought in on said debates, now being a man having owned sub 12 guns for 40 years and have a liking for all size's I'm now totally taken with the bumble bee of flying lead that is the .25 it suites me and where I shoot, so what are your thought's? have you owned sub 12 .25?, why do many not consider it that much (this is a good thing more guns for me then!) all opinions are welcome and if your going to be scathing about it just at least be funny! 😁

It's all .455 Webley vs 9mm Luger almost! LOL! But what must be remembered is that a miss is a miss and the lighter flatter .177 and .22 are more forgiving of misestimation of range. But, yes, for someone shooting rats in a backyard no more than fifteen or twenty yards or squirrels up a tree the same height then I'd reckon that .25 "pill" is very effective medicine. As you right say it suits you where you shoot and that's what matters far beyond armchair ballistic experts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had a BSA in.25 only used it for plinking, great fun. I enjoyed the ease of handling and loading the larger pellets.

 It would of been okay in and around outbuildings but sub 12lbs couldn't think of any other use, for my capabilities.

Edited by redial
Link to post
Share on other sites

The ultra .25 is very nice my mate has one, and agreed  Villaman every collection should have one! I think of this calibre best at pistol ranges as said, I have at most 15 yards to play with at home and if I gain permission at a local wood its very closed in so again favours a short range heavy hitter if there is anything in there to eat! if not another place to shoot, also I'm kind of done with long gun's in the main and a short range gun is better I consider to be handy so its a bore that suits a carbine well in my thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a .25 supersport when they first came out, the bore was tight and I was limited to using rhino pellets, although bsa pylarm .25’s worked ok, but at the time I only managed to source them once and only bought one tin of 200 unfortunately. I used the supersport to good effect shooting ferals and rabbits around industrial units and factories. For that purpose it was good. Some years later I bought another .25 air rifle just for the nostalgia of it really. It was cheap enough and it seems to work with any .25 pellets I care to feed it. Having said that, I tend to stick with marksman as they’re not too heavy. I used to keep it in the back of my truck and because of that, it’s been used to take quite a lot of vermin. It hardly sees the light of day now though.

3DAFDFA2-1F81-4F26-90AB-E36FC3682065.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2021 at 10:13, Rimfireboy said:

I had a .25 supersport when they first came out, the bore was tight and I was limited to using rhino pellets, although bsa pylarm .25’s worked ok, but at the time I only managed to source them once and only bought one tin of 200 unfortunately. I used the supersport to good effect shooting ferals and rabbits around industrial units and factories. For that purpose it was good. Some years later I bought another .25 air rifle just for the nostalgia of it really. It was cheap enough and it seems to work with any .25 pellets I care to feed it. Having said that, I tend to stick with marksman as they’re not too heavy. I used to keep it in the back of my truck and because of that, it’s been used to take quite a lot of vermin. It hardly sees the light of day now though.

3DAFDFA2-1F81-4F26-90AB-E36FC3682065.jpeg

is that an old 3-9x40  Bushmaster scope? looks exactly like mine. got a lot of use in its day😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stu64 said:

is that an old 3-9x40  Bushmaster scope? looks exactly like mine. got a lot of use in its day😊

Go to the top of the class stu.....😁👍

 

 

 

 

4EC4D35A-A38D-48DF-B800-F63C22AFC1CC.jpeg

Just now, Rimfireboy said:

Go to the top of the class stu.....😁👍

 

 

 

 

4EC4D35A-A38D-48DF-B800-F63C22AFC1CC.jpeg

Also 5 shot group using marksman pellets and a tin can both at 25 paces...

EA0CDC81-4BD9-48E7-A84F-1100A086E39C.jpeg

244864AE-1BC3-4095-B60B-EC766D5A10B1.jpeg

74837FC0-5182-489D-B780-8E472A033B9C.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

Love the way they beat the hell out of tins, what's the rifle Rimfire I kind of recognize it.

Striker, one of the first ones, t’was only £100 new so cant go wrong really. They were made to run at about 20ft lb, so all they did was put a weak spring in to get ‘em down to 12ft lb. so what you get is almost zero cocking resistance and a long and lazy lock time. Could do with short stroking and a stiffer spring really to improve the cycle, but I’ve got enough to do....😀👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

.25 sub 12ftlbs very underrated in my opinion as long as you keep the range down. Max 25 yards is best.

I picked up this BSA Ultra SE CCS in .25 a few years back secondhand. It's a keeper and I've just invested in a spare magazine. 

It is very accurate and slams rodents.

In the extreme I have a FAC .25 FX Crown which deals with vermin further out. 

 

 

      

bsau1.jpg

bsau2.jpg

bsau3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not had a complaint yet from a tree rat that the Webley Mosquito pellet from my AA S200 Mk2 is inadequate.  Obviously the .03 difference is not worth swapping my rifle.  You spend your money as you wish but these discussions only add to the manufacturers and suppiers bank accounts.  YES, I am a grumpy old eviction of wind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

.25 sub 12ftlbs very underrated in my opinion as long as you keep the range down. Max 25 yards is best.

I picked up this BSA Ultra SE CCS in .25 a few years back secondhand. It's a keeper and I've just invested in a spare magazine. 

It is very accurate and slams rodents.

In the extreme I have a FAC .25 FX Crown which deals with vermin further out. 

 

 

      

bsau1.jpg

bsau2.jpg

bsau3.jpg

That’s a nice little rifle Nigel, have you tried it with any heavier pellets? My spring powered .25 likes the ftt’s but the superdomes hit with a right wallop even at 12ft lb, it’s just the trajectory that gets you😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have not had a complaint yet from a tree rat that the Webley Mosquito pellet from my AA S200 Mk2 is inadequate.  Obviously the .03 difference is not worth swapping my rifle.  You spend your money as you wish but these discussions only add to the manufacturers and suppiers bank accounts.  YES, I am a grumpy old eviction of wind.

But how many shotguns and different calibre rifles do you own?? 🤔🤔😉

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

.25 sub 12ftlbs very underrated in my opinion as long as you keep the range down. Max 25 yards is best.

I picked up this BSA Ultra SE CCS in .25 a few years back secondhand. It's a keeper and I've just invested in a spare magazine. 

It is very accurate and slams rodents.

In the extreme I have a FAC .25 FX Crown which deals with vermin further out. 

 

 

      

bsau1.jpg

bsau2.jpg

bsau3.jpg

Very nice, if one pops up locally I'd be more than tempted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...