ditchman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Yes, but does she and the Ex Pat community make the local Spanish people feel unsafe in that area? I have watched a few programs on the Ex pat community in Spain and most seem to get on fine with the locals, ok, I dont think the local Spanish are that keen on a full English for breakfast. :)

I don't think the local Spanish like the British Ex pats very much. Come to that, I don't think I liked the ex pat community very much either.

They seemed remarkably shallow, selfish, people hard drinkers and hedonistic. Most significantly I don't think they really cared about Spain or the Spanish. They were there to please themselves

When we see others treating this country the same way. Just out for what they can get we shouldn't be surprised.

13 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I don't think the local Spanish like the British Ex pats very much. Come to that, I don't think I liked the ex pat community very much either.

They seemed remarkably shallow, selfish, people hard drinkers and hedonistic. Most significantly I don't think they really cared about Spain or the Spanish. They were there to please themselves

When we see others treating this country the same way. Just out for what they can get we shouldn't be surprised.

the difference is ....the Brits spend money and pay into the local economy..............

41 minutes ago, armsid said:

oowee henry d come and walk through Leicester (St Mathews) and see "integration" no one speaks English you will be looked on as an intruder to their community ask Dave G he was a taxi driver

Somalia central - 5 of them mugged me and less than two weeks later a gang of about 20 tried to scrag me out of the car but I spotted it coming, locked the doors and drove up a grass bank to vacate the dead end they tried to trap me in.

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Somalia central - 5 of them mugged me and less than two weeks later a gang of about 20 tried to scrag me out of the car but I spotted it coming, locked the doors and drove up a grass bank to vacate the dead end they tried to trap me in.

Sounds like Mogadishu!

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

the difference is ....the Brits spend money and pay into the local economy..............

Bit of a generalisation Simon, my cousin's husband (Iraqi) and their children all work and pay taxes, so contributing to the UK. As a senior educationalist in his own country he was in a highly paid UK job and he has now partially retired, his son is high up in food supply with a major supermarket chain. I'm not sure about the other son at this precise time but last year was employed and there daughter lives in Europe. 

14 minutes ago, henry d said:

Bit of a generalisation Simon, my cousin's husband (Iraqi) and their children all work and pay taxes, so contributing to the UK. As a senior educationalist in his own country he was in a highly paid UK job and he has now partially retired, his son is high up in food supply with a major supermarket chain. I'm not sure about the other son at this precise time but last year was employed and there daughter lives in Europe. 

@henry d Sorry buddy - but all you can ever quote is your cousin - repeatedly - I bet their ears must be burning. You will always get the exceptions and I am very happy that your limited experience in this space has been positive (it must be limited because it is all that you quote) but I bet you for every success story there are 20 that aren't.

Just now, henry d said:

OK then, the floor is yours. 

I don't need the floor - you have ignored @Dave-G above who has commented about his very own personal experience. I can say that I have been to areas in the UK where I have been an ethnic minority - in the singular. I do concur that there are immigrants that do integrate but there are a lot more that don't as can be seen in these areas. I am lucky in that I haven't experienced anything like @Dave-G has - but I have worked all over the country and have worked in areas where I again am a minority - and didn't feel safe in those areas. It isn't nice when you are in work as well and you are the only one speaking English when all the rest are speaking in an Indian language...

Please go on - I hand the floor to you now - time to don your rose tinted glasses

12 minutes ago, henry d said:

Some facts for you

So are they the 20 that aren't successful?

They are the ones that don't integrate - again - you ignore Dave G's comment above that doesn't suit your narrative instead trying to cherry pick.

That area where I worked was an area where the majority of people were from that region - again being an ethnic minority in our own country. Working with a team of 6 where their prefered language in a UK workplace was not English.

9 minutes ago, Penelope said:

It's what the 'progressives' always do, suits there narrative.

I love the word progressive in this context, whether they are talking about refugees, net zero or lgbt stuff, it's lefty induced 'progression' back to the stone age. 

2 minutes ago, discobob said:
18 minutes ago, henry d said:

So are they the 20 that aren't successful?

They are the ones that don't integrate - again - you ignore Dave G's comment above that doesn't suit your narrative instead trying to cherry pick

He's not cherry picking, he's deflecting as usual, we are talking about illegals and Channel migrants, most of which don't even get on the statistical radar, he doesn't like those arguments, so includes one with EU migrants and foreign students. 

5 minutes ago, discobob said:

They are the ones that don't integrate - again - you ignore Dave G's comment above that doesn't suit your narrative instead trying to cherry pick.

That area where I worked was an area where the majority of people were from that region - again being an ethnic minority in our own country. Working with a team of 6 where their prefered language in a UK workplace was not English.

Regarding Dave-G, have taxi drivers across the UK ever had the same experience from white British people?

OK, let's go through the rest. It was their preferred or primary language in a work environment where the majority (85% ish) spoke in their primary language. Do you think that they would do the same if the numbers were reversed? Of course not, languages and even dialects are nuanced so it will be easier to talk in a language that the 85% understands fully rather than get it wrong on occasion. 

What other instances do you want me to tell you about? My BIL's wife, Polish, worked in the UK for 20 years, speaks English and a couple of other languages, my Romanian neighbours in Scotland, he was a local bus driver, she had two small children to look after but worked part time in the local school as a support for learning assistant but was a veterinary nurse in Romania and needs to retrain for the uk. Both speak English and other languages. The Puga's from Portugal (friends from Scotland) Jo works for the council and she was a carer for their younger daughter who is on the autistic spectrum, all five speak English, Portuguese and Spanish very well. Now we live in tyneside and the local estate has one family, as far as I can tell as we've only been here 18 months, who are again Portuguese and speak English well and the adults work at the local parcel distribution centre and the young girl attends the local primary, their dog is called coco. Lastly a  Romanian fisherman, speaks English swear words fluently and others not so, but we respected each other when fishing just about shoulder to shoulder catching mackerel and herring, allowing each other to cast or give the nod, or point out where our lines were so we don't get tangled and at the time I was in the minority of white British compared to Romanian on South Shields pier, to me it wasn't a biggy.

I would suggest that if you engage faithfully with people they will respect and respond positively to you and just because someone speaks a different language it doesn't mean that they don't want to integrate.

21 minutes ago, henry d said:

I would suggest that if you engage faithfully with people they will respect and respond positively to you

I'd give that one a try on here sometime henry. 

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

just because someone speaks a different language it doesn't mean that they don't want to integrate

Who said they did? 

But let's be clear, it's a bit difficult to integrate into a country without a basic understanding of how to communicate with the indigenous population? 

14 hours ago, Bigbob said:

saw Rick Stein on this morning he did a week of charity lunches for a food bank in Cornwall raised 5K wonder why he didn't donate to the boat people landing on Cornwall's beaches LOL 

You don't get a lot of boat people in Cornwall.  The locals catch them and eat them 

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I love the word progressive in this context, whether they are talking about refugees, net zero or lgbt stuff, it's lefty induced 'progression' back to the stone age. 

He's not cherry picking, he's deflecting as usual, we are talking about illegals and Channel migrants, most of which don't even get on the statistical radar, he doesn't like those arguments, so includes one with EU migrants and foreign students. 

Another post he will definitely ignore as you have again exposed his nonsense. 

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Selective reading Dave? Have another browse...

Coming from the King of selective posting. 

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Those 'facts' would be about legal migrants who we get to check the credentials of? The topic is about 'channel migrants'

I believe I have introduced "pigeonwatch drift" into this when I mentioned about people who are mainly legal immigrants - although 2nd generation from what I could tell - who were speaking a foreign language at work in an UK based company....

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Selective reading Dave? Have another browse...

But as pointed out - these all sound like they are legal migrants you are relating to - they haven't come on a dinghy or clinging to the underneath of a lorry etc.

I do know loads - I am very welcoming - there is a lad (in his 30's) and Dad who come to our local shoot - he is your archetypal consultant - legal though - get on great with them and indeed make time to actually engage with them - then I have mates who are Turkish, Cypriot, Polish etc etc etc but these are all legal and have chosen this country for their home and are contributing. They more than likely speak their own language at home and no issue with that but I would imagine they speak English at work....However I do not live in areas like Blackburn, West Brom, Southall  or even Banbury. I did work from someone from Banbury when I lived down south - he told me that usually once a month he would have a knock on the door and on opening it would be someone from the local community offering to buy his house cash - so they can move their relatives in.

But they are not illegal immigrants. The majority of the illegals will disappear into the black economy even if they appear on paper and getting benefits. Again there will be some (a minority) who do want to do as the above but not the majority,

2 hours ago, discobob said:

I believe I have introduced "pigeonwatch drift" into this when I mentioned about people who are mainly legal immigrants - although 2nd generation from what I could tell - who were speaking a foreign language at work in an UK based company....

But as pointed out - these all sound like they are legal migrants you are relating to - they haven't come on a dinghy or clinging to the underneath of a lorry etc.

I do know loads - I am very welcoming - there is a lad (in his 30's) and Dad who come to our local shoot - he is your archetypal consultant - legal though - get on great with them and indeed make time to actually engage with them - then I have mates who are Turkish, Cypriot, Polish etc etc etc but these are all legal and have chosen this country for their home and are contributing. They more than likely speak their own language at home and no issue with that but I would imagine they speak English at work....However I do not live in areas like Blackburn, West Brom, Southall  or even Banbury. I did work from someone from Banbury when I lived down south - he told me that usually once a month he would have a knock on the door and on opening it would be someone from the local community offering to buy his house cash - so they can move their relatives in.

But they are not illegal immigrants. The majority of the illegals will disappear into the black economy even if they appear on paper and getting benefits. Again there will be some (a minority) who do want to do as the above but not the majority,

I had cause to work with some guys frae East Kilbride, We couldn't understand each other for weeks? lol.