I/c for driven pheasant

keeper96

Evening all, 

sorry if this has been done to death! 

my go to gun is bored I/C in both barrels which for my usual shooting is ideal, mostly walked up with the odd stand here and there. 

i’ve been invited to a good day up in Scotland later in the year where the majority of drives show 40yd+ birds. 

I will move to a heavier cartridge than usual, probably a 30/32gr 5 but will I be under gunned with my open chokes? 

thanks

jamie 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

Evening all, 

sorry if this has been done to death! 

my go to gun is bored I/C in both barrels which for my usual shooting is ideal, mostly walked up with the odd stand here and there. 

i’ve been invited to a good day up in Scotland later in the year where the majority of drives show 40yd+ birds. 

I will move to a heavier cartridge than usual, probably a 30/32gr 5 but will I be under gunned with my open chokes? 

thanks

jamie 

The simple answer is yes you’ll be under gunned - that is if the birds are genuinely 40 yds plus. Sometimes a little ‘artistic licence’ is applied to the height of pheasants (?!). IC is only 5 thou or thereabouts - American skeet basically. You might just get away with 35 to 40 yards with heavier cart’s, but beyond that you’ll be struggling. 

Your bound to get a mixed bag of opinions here, but really 5 thou for the high stuff….???

I have hit and killed an odd high pheasant (and I mean genuinely high) with a quarter choke, but not many. I used to have a gun with fixed 1/4 and 3/4 chokes. Occasionally in the heat of the moment I selected the wrong choke. As a cartridge patterning geek, I can assure you they were only killed by a fluke pellet. 

Again, I would ask, are the birds on this shoot really true sky scrapers? If not, you might get away with your familiar gun

8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Be interested to know which estate. Most whilst showing high birds will have more moderate on all the drives so it is a case of picking the birds you are comfortable with. You will soon find out and can shoot accordingly but I would stick with what you are used too.

I’d love to tell but the lad organising it keeps things close to his chest, sorry mate! 

I’m certainly looking forward to it though!

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

Your bound to get a mixed bag of opinions here, but really 5 thou for the high stuff….???

I have hit and killed an odd high pheasant (and I mean genuinely high) with a quarter choke, but not many. I used to have a gun with fixed 1/4 and 3/4 chokes. Occasionally in the heat of the moment I selected the wrong choke. As a cartridge patterning geek, I can assure you they were only killed by a fluke pellet. 

Again, I would ask, are the birds on this shoot really true sky scrapers? If not, you might get away with your familiar gun

I’ve never been before, it was described as good with some higher birds and knowing the bloke his “good”is anything around 40yrds 

definitely not talking Whitfield standards though 

12 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

I’d love to tell but the lad organising it keeps things close to his chest, sorry mate! 

I’m certainly looking forward to it though!

I’ve never been before, it was described as good with some higher birds and knowing the bloke his “good”is anything around 40yrds 

definitely not talking Whitfield standards though 

Patterning your gun / cartridge at 50 yards would really help you a lot. Think it would be an eye opener. 

Whatever you do - have a great day. Sounds marvelous!

37 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Also as the beaters move down through the slope, the birds should be less extreme

With respect, have you been on a quality pheasant shoot?  
If the shoot is run professionally it is more likely that the beaters will be pushing the birds up hill to flush from the higher slopes.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

If the shoot is run professionally it is more likely that the beaters will be pushing the birds up hill to flush from the higher slopes.

This. Or at least this is how we always do it, even on those drives which are naturally already high. ‘Stops’ are used to prevent birds walking downhill. 
To the OP. Personally, and speaking with the benefit of experience, you’ve selected a good load, just forget about your choke. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yes many  - and on testing topography at that. Lots of different scenarios are possible as you point out. Some slopes are beaten lengthways also, to fly birds across guns on lower ground. I think with respect you’re getting hung up on semantics here though. Basically, birds are frequently of variable height - whatever the system of beating. 

Pattern is key as no6 have enough penetration to be effective to 50 yards.

If you can source them a 36g no6 would be best for pattern but are not soft shooting through a SxS, then 32g no6.

Fired through IC, A 32g No5 has about the same number of pellets in the pattern at 40 yards as the 36g no6 at 50 yards or 32g no6 at 45 yards.

If you’re feeling under gunned at the moment it’ll probably play with your mind and end up spoiling your day 

that said 32 gram 5 is about the most you want to be shooting out of a ss in any quantity and probably 30 gram 6 will be more comfortable 

or borrowing a mates gun for the day 

your a guest so it’s not like it’ll cost you a fortune if you don’t hit anything but I do understand the concern for wounding stuff at long range 

just my thoughts 

of