Are We Wrong to Restrict Arrivals from Africa?

TIGHTCHOKE

From an AOL article;

A total of 61 people who arrived in the Netherlands on two flights from South Africa on Friday (26th Nov) have tested positive for coronavirus and are in isolation as the world seeks to contain a highly transmissible new coronavirus variant.

Further tests are under way on the travellers who arrived at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport to establish if any of them have the new Omicron variant of Covid-19 that was first discovered in southern Africa.

The variant’s swift spread among young people in South Africa has alarmed health professionals. In just two weeks, it has turned a period of low transmission in the country into one of rapid growth.

Two planes arrived in the Netherlands from Johannesburg and Cape Town shortly after the Dutch government, along with other nations around the world, on Friday imposed a ban on flights from southern African nations following discovery of the Omicron variant.

The Kennermerland local health authority, which is responsible for the testing and isolation operation, said in an update on Saturday that the people who tested positive must quarantine for seven days if they have symptoms and five days if they are symptom-free.

The 539 passengers who tested negative were allowed to return home or continue their journeys to other countries.

Under government regulations, those who live in the Netherlands and are allowed to return home must self-isolate for at least five days.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

We are punishing Africa for doing the right thing. We should have stricter travel tests, mask wearing etc. No point shutting the door when this variant is already on 3 continents and many more countries. Particularly annoyed as only last week I bought two tickets for SA in May. Mate is in Botswana and will have to take the long way back. 

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know fast or slow the end result seems to be the same   ive tracked  the blurb from different countries   once it gets hold  kiss your backside  goodbye  lockdowns prolong the inevitable until the medics can cope  its a stalling measure    there is no answer until it leaves  as pandemics do    if you are belligerent  take your chance         if you are cautious  you have a chance       im not afraid     something is going to kill me    not today       

It cant be long before the thing is lifted. The varient has already spread. I have a mate in quaranteen now having come back and having to spend two weeks in a Hotel (£3700 for two sharing). It sounds like prison. I need the restriction gone before May otherwise I can't go out for the pigeons 🙂 

On 27/11/2021 at 18:00, oowee said:

We are punishing Africa for doing the right thing. We should have stricter travel tests, mask wearing etc. No point shutting the door when this variant is already on 3 continents and many more countries. Particularly annoyed as only last week I bought two tickets for SA in May. Mate is in Botswana and will have to take the long way back. 

Yes. Unlike the Chinese who kept quiet about this disease for as long as possible.

During the lockdowns we had we still had 20/30 students a week coming in from Africa , China etc all students had to do was take a clear test before they left isolate for 14 days when  the came . Did it work not a hope a test in Africa the same as one here apparently not , then you cant dump a student on a campus in a strange country no food etc and expect them to stay in a room for 2 weeks LOL. The best one i got involved in was a African  student arrived on campus in the morning  caught a bus into town  got shopping came back didn't know his way about wandered all over campus till he found his accommodation and we got him in his kitchen with 6 other students . Later the lot tested positive 

Maybe we should close borders but that means to everybody no exceptions but i reckon its too late Covid is here to stay  we no look to look at preventing it spreading further