Pups first boo boo

Rob85

So my Lab pup has reached 10 months old and just had her first boo boo, she had run past a bit of wire about a month ago and gave herself a scrap on her back leg and all was grand. She must have hit the same spot again and it burst open somehow. Took her to the vet tonight expecting stitches as she won't keep a dressing on.

According to the vet its pretty much beyond stitching and likelihood is it probably wouldn't have held up with her bouncing about as a mad pup so I've come away with an antibiotic injection and a 5 day course of antibiotics and instructions to clean with salt and water. I've added a pic of it just before cleaning tonight, I may even try to dress it again.

How does a vet bill of £47 sound for the consult, jab and course of antibiotics?

20220831_184145.jpg

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

So my Lab pup has reached 10 months old and just had her first boo boo, she had run past a bit of wire about a month ago and gave herself a scrap on her back leg and all was grand. She must have hit the same spot again and it burst open somehow. Took her to the vet tonight expecting stitches as she won't keep a dressing on.

According to the vet its pretty much beyond stitching and likelihood is it probably wouldn't have held up with her bouncing about as a mad pup so I've come away with an antibiotic injection and a 5 day course of antibiotics and instructions to clean with salt and water. I've added a pic of it just before cleaning tonight, I may even try to dress it again.

How does a vet bill of £47 sound for the consult, jab and course of antibiotics?

20220831_184145.jpg

Cheap as chips

I was pretty happy with the bill, I said its likely she will be back at some stage with more rips as her training and gundog career starts to take off 🙄

Shes turning out such a wonderful wee soul and despite being nervous of the vet...as her last time there in January was for a rather painful sounding microchip... she handled her wee jab without so much as a turn of her head.

Screenshot_20220831-201924_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Think your vet is very fair 👍🏻

Hate it when they get injured but it does happen.

Hope she’s back to 100% soon.  

Thanks, at 10 months she's a good while to go before she hits more involved training and working in the field so I'm not too annoyed at the temporary set back., really wanting to take my time with her.

• 2 weeks later...

£47 my vet would charge me more than that just to look at my dog I think you had a result don’t change your vet 

not a comparison but my lab swallowed a tennis ball the following operation cost me £5000 needless to say she is worth it to me and I would pay it again in a heartbeat to help her 

Needless to say there are no more tennis balls in my house

6 hours ago, holloway said:

That’s a very reasonable vet bill I would be happy with that .A consultation without the drugs would cost nearly that down here.

You can sometimes assess your own dog by behaviour etc as to the worth of insurance I have had dogs die in old age never having needed the vet never insured .

I've a springerXcollie and she has had vet attention once in her life apart from her first round of puppy jabs. Was during covid times when vet bills were going mad, I'm sure I read on here of people being charged £100 just to get through the door. Her bill including emergency appointment, injection, ultrasound and antibiotics came to little over £60. 

On a good note it seems the pups wound is healing up nicely, likely will leave a nice scar she can be proud of. My late spaniels nose was a tapestry of her time crashing through cover 😄

14 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

£47 my vet would charge me more than that just to look at my dog I think you had a result don’t change your vet 

not a comparison but my lab swallowed a tennis ball the following operation cost me £5000 needless to say she is worth it to me and I would pay it again in a heartbeat to help her 

Needless to say there are no more tennis balls in my house

Swallowed the tennis ball... I think if mine done that the kick in the ring she would get would have it back up the way it came in! Seriously though I couldn't imagine the panic over that one and as you say they are no doubt worth every penny we spend on them.

Worst I done was clearing my now wife's garden and javlined a big stick over the fence and their daft spaniel chased after and dived at it and managed to impale himself into the back of his throat, after the blood and carnage was cleared the vet just shrugged, gave an injection and said he would be best to take some time out and rest, that was about 20 years ago and think the bill was a nice 20quid

45 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Swallowed the tennis ball... I think if mine done that the kick in the ring she would get would have it back up the way it came in! Seriously though I couldn't imagine the panic over that one and as you say they are no doubt worth every penny we spend on them.

Worst I done was clearing my now wife's garden and javlined a big stick over the fence and their daft spaniel chased after and dived at it and managed to impale himself into the back of his throat, after the blood and carnage was cleared the vet just shrugged, gave an injection and said he would be best to take some time out and rest, that was about 20 years ago and think the bill was a nice 20quid

The worst bit about her swallowing the ball is I didn’t even know she did it she came out of the bracken in the woods looking all pleased with herself and it was only the next day when she was sick all the time that I knew something was not right by that time far to late 

Ive had this conversation quite a few times over the last few days, we will be spending a considerable amount more on one of our labs due to him being lame.

What we tend to forget is all the medical treatment that we receive ourselves is paid for through the NHS via our National insurance , if we were to pay for our treatment from the Dr or hospital visits most of us would not be shooting at much as we would like. Unfortunately our pets dont pay into this kind of service, the best we can do is make sure they have a decent insurance cover. 

14 hours ago, Dougy said:

Ive had this conversation quite a few times over the last few days, we will be spending a considerable amount more on one of our labs due to him being lame.

What we tend to forget is all the medical treatment that we receive ourselves is paid for through the NHS via our National insurance , if we were to pay for our treatment from the Dr or hospital visits most of us would not be shooting at much as we would like. Unfortunately our pets dont pay into this kind of service, the best we can do is make sure they have a decent insurance cover. 

I have had this conversation with others about vet bills and as much as there is some rip off merchants out there... like the vets who are backed by financial organisations... by and large I would say the price paid isn't as bad as you think once you break it down.

I paid for private consultations for my kids who required ENT surgery and the fee for the surgical consultation was £165 on its own for 5 minutes of the man's time!