National Identity ?

Rem260

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, old man said:

We seem to have slipped from something of value in and to the world to the rear end (rhymes with farce)? All in a few decades.

Yes the trajectory of our decline is this. HM Queen's first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill...a man who had lived a full life, fought in various wars, a scion of a famous ancestor and a world statesman. Her last Prime Minister was Liz Truss. An overgrown ex-undergraduate whose experience of life is what? 

Edited by enfieldspares

Regarding the decline that us grumpy old men like to lament, it's not just the UK. I'm currently at a public sector/medical conference and the level of political correctness is off the scale. Westernised countries are tying themselves up with this **** instead of actually progressing in any meaningful way. 

On 16/09/2022 at 20:44, Houseplant said:

Regarding the decline that us grumpy old men like to lament, it's not just the UK. I'm currently at a public sector/medical conference and the level of political correctness is off the scale. Westernised countries are tying themselves up with this **** instead of actually progressing in any meaningful way. 

This, this and more this!!!

I'm  English, I can trace my ancestry back to the 1500s from the Birmingham area and the 1700s from the Suffolk area but my name originates from an area in France and back to William The conqueror.  I was born about 5miles away and have worked in the vicinity for most of my working life. The  family have all been planted in the south east.  So I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as being English. Although I've been to lots of different countries abroad and have like being there, I am English.  Even years ago when I had to apply for passports or certs etc I  didn't put British.  I put English.  As for those who say that the country is going to the dogs should look back into history. People were absolutely dirt poor and lived on not a lot, children were malnourished and the general population were illiterate.  The things that we take for granted were unthought about not that many years ago.  when I was a kid there was ice on the inside of the windows like ferns.  And the other day there was some woman who was moaning about the fact that she couldn't afford to run her clothes dryer.!! And that was back in the hot period.  Heavens forbid.! The country is going to the dogs.

39 minutes ago, henry d said:

Compared to...?

What it is now.

Or is the current cultural construct not what you were referring to when you said now.

On 18/09/2022 at 13:01, henry d said:

It's a cultural construct, different now as in 1066 or any other era. If you don't like it, wait a while and it will change again. 

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

One things for sure, it matters. 

You only need look at what happened in Leicester the other day to know that when you have to different groups of people, with irreparable differences and different views, trouble will ensue. 

I saw the headline on Al Jazeera, glanced over it thinking it was India, then saw it was Leicester. ***!?

On 17/09/2022 at 05:37, enfieldspares said:

Yes the trajectory of our decline is this. HM Queen's first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill...a man who had lived a full life, fought in various wars, a scion of a famous ancestor and a world statesman. Her last Prime Minister was Liz Truss. An overgrown ex-undergraduate whose experience of life is what? 

There was a time when churchill,  ghandi and botha all were at Spion Kop. Amazing they left affected but not injured to forge 3 countries.

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

Racist -propaganda.

Exactly, everyone knows only whites can be racists. 

Racism between 2 non white factions or religions is a physical impossibility. 

Shame on whoever is reporting that there is any racial trouble in the peaceful city of Leicester 😏

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Racist -propaganda.

I'm not convinced, the wording used is a bit inflammatory, but the message in the article absolutely has merit. We are importing problems into our country and I don't believe that's racist to say, after all this country has plenty of its own idiots without importing other countries problems, which is just one of the many reasons uncontrollable migration is a very bad thing. 

What in the article do you disagree with? 

Edited by 12gauge82

58 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'm not convinced, the wording used is a bit inflammatory, but the message in the article absolutely has merit. We are importing problems into our country and I don't believe that's racist to say, after all this country has plenty of its own idiots without importing other countries problems, which is just one of the many reasons uncontrollable migration is a very bad thing. 

What in the article do you disagree with? 

Farage.