"cant be bothered food"

ditchman

16 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Had ketchup sandwiches yesterday.

'Luxury! There were a hundred and fifty of living in a shoebox in the middle of the road'.  :lol:

Never tried ketchup sarnies, had sugar ones when i were a youngen. They used to crunch when you bit into them. Don't think I could stomach them now.

Sausage, chips and egg an all time winner for sure, sausage mash and beans also a great quick scoff. Got to be a good pork sausage though, not the watery slugde garbage.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

sausage egg & chips today...........just really fancy it for a change 

Was a childhood favourite when at the seaside (Broadstairs, Kent) everyone else in the family had FandC 🤭🤣 Only cook it for myself now maybe once every couple of years.

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

When I was a little boy during the last war my grandmother would cut a threequarter inch slice of bread, spread it with beef dripping and then sprinkle sugar on it. I think that is where I got my sweet tooth from and lost all of my teeth before I was twenty.

Yes, my grandfather always had beef dripping on bread, but no sugar.  Salt and freshly ground black pepper.  As an aside beef dripping is lovely instead of butter for beans on toast.

We were more or less brought up on a Sunday morning with egg and bacon with maybe some beans , yes we did have sausage's fairly regular and maybe we got used to the early ones but it might just be my taste buds are not the same , to me today's sausages are not as tasty as the ones we were brought up with , we have tried several small village butcher shops and the majority are fine but I wouldn't crave for them week in and week out. 

My favorite breakfast was after getting up early and roaming about the marshes for a few hours and then coming across a nice little ring of field mushrooms , these were carefully put in the game bag ( postman's bag ) and were stuck in the frying pan with a few rashes of fresh bacon and a couple of new laid large eggs  as soon as I got back home , as for beef dripping ? , yes we had a fair bit of that , we used to buy it from a small butcher in the town who had won countless medals for pork pies , the beef dripping came in a little White dish , while there we would also buy some Savory ducks , a few slices of Haslet ( Pork and Sage meatloaf ) and a nice fresh Pork Hock , tell yer , we didn't do that bad living in the sticks :good:

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

We were more or less brought up on a Sunday morning with egg and bacon with maybe some beans , yes we did have sausage's fairly regular and maybe we got used to the early ones but it might just be my taste buds are not the same , to me today's sausages are not as tasty as the ones we were brought up with , we have tried several small village butcher shops and the majority are fine but I wouldn't crave for them week in and week out. 

My favorite breakfast was after getting up early and roaming about the marshes for a few hours and then coming across a nice little ring of field mushrooms , these were carefully put in the game bag ( postman's bag ) and were stuck in the frying pan with a few rashes of fresh bacon and a couple of new laid large eggs  as soon as I got back home , as for beef dripping ? , yes we had a fair bit of that , we used to buy it from a small butcher in the town who had won countless medals for pork pies , the beef dripping came in a little White dish , while there we would also buy some Savory ducks , a few slices of Haslet ( Pork and Sage meatloaf ) and a nice fresh Pork Hock , tell yer , we didn't do that bad living in the sticks :good:

for sausages try carters in acle and speak to andy the owner....he is the one who does alot of leatherwork what i spoke about

My guilty secret/can't be bothered food is tinned kippers. Seven minutes in a pan of boiling water,  serve with bread and a poached egg. You can't tell the difference ( not true) but worth the compromise as there is no smell or fiddly bones to sort out

Edited by yates

On 29/10/2022 at 18:55, bruno22rf said:

OMG - I used to love bread and Dripping, the jelly "stuff" was sublime. Best quick snack now has to be Haslet with Wholegrain Mustard on Home Baked Bread.

I always thought you was into 'bottoms' 🤣

My grandfather would dig a hole in the dripping and then get a teaspoon and scoop it out. YES!

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My grandfather would dig a hole in the dripping and then get a teaspoon and scoop it out.

Must be generational; my grandfather was known as the "dripping miner" because he did exactly that - except I only remember him using a knife (so he could spread it).

8 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Salad cream butties are for the warmer months.

Nah. I live on the Lancashire (Fylde) coast. Heating goes on in December whether it's needed or not 😂🤔. Mind you, wife is laid up with a broken leg after being kicked by a horse last week and is complaining of feeling a bit nish 🤢 And at 66 1/2 I've just been told I'm type 2 diabetic so the butties may well be another avenue of pleasure that has been closed