DPF on pickups

countryman

I am fed up with DPF problems , my last pick up was an Isuzu D max and that was a nice truck ruined by it, I make a lot of short trips and that truck would need to re gen every week sometimes twice, the oil level would go up at a dangerous rate very quickly needing a lot of oil changes.  

3 hours ago, countryman said:

I am fed up with DPF problems , my last pick up was an Isuzu D max and that was a nice truck ruined by it, I make a lot of short trips and that truck would need to re gen every week sometimes twice, the oil level would go up at a dangerous rate very quickly needing a lot of oil changes.  

They can be a pain but I'm not sure what it has to do with your oil level? Or oil changes? It's just a catalytic filter in the exhaust that collects the soot that is common from diesel engines under some conditions where combustion is incomplete. When they fill up to a certain level the ECU will inject additional fuel late or outside of the cycles to raise exhaust temperatures. When the filter gets hot enough the soot burns off. Some ash is left behind for impurities of from the engine oil and eventually the filter will be full of ash and need replacing.

Cars with a diesel engine and DPF that are mainly used for short trips can have an increased oil level because the DPF regeneration process gets cut short during those short trips. The use of biodiesel only exacerbates the problem.20 Jun 2022

https://lifeonfour.co › car-talk › wh...

Engine Oil Level 

It is well documented about increase of the engine oil as a result of problems with the DPF , Volvo dealer's recommend not filling the oil to the maximum to help, Landrover had lots of problems with the new 2 litre engine when it came out as people didn't understand. You need to check oil levels regular and never stop the engine if a regen is ongoing.

I think some of the more modern diesels have solved the problem of oil dilution, instead of performing additional injection pulses during and after ignition in the combustion chamber there is an additional injector which sends fuel directly to the dpf to burn off the fuel thus reducing the risk of fuel getting into the oil

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Screwfix didn't have any, Morrisons was £27.50p so went to Toolstation and this was the last one 😳 

Well for future reference if it’s of any use you can get it on Amazon for £22.50 (the first one I saw) with free delivery 😉

Edited by Spr1985

10 hours ago, hod said:

Dpf and egr removed off my 2012 Amarok and ecu reprogrammed a couple of years back. Smells like the bowels of an old ferry when you drive off, but problem free. Bit of a FU to the environment mind you… 

I have herd of people doing this but does it not cause a problem when it’s MOT time.