Proof house result!!

retromlc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say I'm a tad confused - although it must be said that this is easily done - but I thought that there was only one steel proof - HP with the fleur de lys and anything else is nitro proof albeit at differing levels (putting to one side black powder) which includes STD steel but not specifically.

EDIT: Sorry, Dave we clashed but we do agree.

Edited by wymberley

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

but we do agree

And I agree as well. 

Standard nitro proof - allows lead and standard steel (subject to usual case length, loads etc. limits)

HP Proof (Fleur de Lis mark) - allows for HP steel loads (in addition to normal loads.  Very unfortunately it is often termed "Steel Proof" which is very misleading because it is a supplementary proof (i.e. in addition to and above nitro proof) which allows the use of HP steel.

47 minutes ago, retromlc said:

Well at least if I ever go to sell it I  can prove it's steel proofed. 

As others have said, it isn’t steel shot proofed unless it has a fleur de lys stamp on it.
ANY nitro proofed gun is capable of standard steel, as is yours. 
However, have a look at your chokes, Teague may have proofed them for steel? 

1 hour ago, retromlc said:

I emailed the Birmingham proof house today about my gun circa 1999, it was teague choked in 2002 and asked what the stamps and records reveal, emailed me very quickly to say STD steel and lead, result!!!

Yep! If it passed proof for lead after 1954 and the choke is less than a certain degree it'll be OK for standard steel. But what it won't be is "proofed for steel". There is a difference as others have said.

34 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yep! If it passed proof for lead after 1954 and the choke is less than a certain degree it'll be OK for standard steel. But what it won't be is "proofed for steel". There is a difference as others have said.

Standard steel can be used through any choke. 

I was told recently by a gun dealer that they were reluctant to take in part ex any gun without it being specifically steel proofed - with the fleur de lys. He said buyers wanted the "superior" proof mark. What he omitted to say is that this was never a feature when they were selling guns, without the fleur de lys.

It's like the emperor's new clothes.

22 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I was told recently by a gun dealer that they were reluctant to take in part ex any gun without it being specifically steel proofed - with the fleur de lys. He said buyers wanted the "superior" proof mark. What he omitted to say is that this was never a feature when they were selling guns, without the fleur de lys.

It's like the emperor's new clothes.

I'm just grateful we have people like BASC. 

https://basc.org.uk/a-joint-statement-on-the-future-of-shotgun-ammunition-for-live-quarry-shooting/

In consideration of wildlife, the environment and to ensure a market for the healthiest game products, at home and abroad, we wish to see an end to both lead and single-use plastics in ammunition used by those taking all live quarry with shotguns within five years.

Thanks for the replies, we all know any gun can shoot steel up to 1/2 choke, but it's an argument from a dealer to kick you in the trade-in nutz, "it's not steel proofed" and ill informed keyboard snipers influencing private individuals, but all I was saying is I have an email stating it, it's a result from that perspective. 

48 minutes ago, retromlc said:

Thanks for the replies, we all know any gun can shoot steel up to 1/2 choke, but it's an argument from a dealer to kick you in the trade-in nutz, "it's not steel proofed" and ill informed keyboard snipers influencing private individuals, but all I was saying is I have an email stating it, it's a result from that perspective. 

But it’s not “steel proofed” 

it’s nitro proofed like the majority of guns and can shoot any lead or standard steel loads (using correct chokes) as can any of the other nitro proofed guns. 

A “steel” proofed gun as mentioned by others has the fluer de lyse markings and can shoot the high performance steel loads.

all that email has told you is that your gun underwent a proofing procedure as required by UK law to allow it to be sold. 

40 minutes ago, Robden said:

Can someone, with real world experience and not anecdotal hearsay off the tinternet, explain please?  The difference between standard steel and HP steel and why it shouldn't be used with certain chokes?

TIA.

There is a guide here  https://www.aabrownandsons.com/prooftable.html

This is from A.A. Brown who are genuine 'true gunmakers' and it is a small business run by Robin Brown who is a 'hands on' gunmaker.

Like everything - there are different opinions - but this is from a genuine hands on gunmaker.

45 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is a guide here  https://www.aabrownandsons.com/prooftable.html

This is from A.A. Brown who are genuine 'true gunmakers' and it is a small business run by Robin Brown who is a 'hands on' gunmaker.

Like everything - there are different opinions - but this is from a genuine hands on gunmaker.

They start by stating there is much confusion regarding the use of steel shot, and they’ve simply added to it. 
Where to start unravelling this load of nonsense? 
BASC ( following consultation with cartridge manufactures one assumes ) and as far as I know Gamebore for one, have stated that all things being relevant with a nitro only proofed gun, ANY choke can be used with standard steel, including full.
AA Brown have stated nothing tighter than half, and even then scoring may occur within the choke. However, if you submit that same gun for HP steel proofing, you can still only shoot nothing tighter than half but now there’s no mention of scoring within the choke area! This is the same gun remember, made by the same methods with the same metal; the only  difference is it has now been tested to a higher pressure. What’s the point of having it steel shot proofed if there’s nothing gained? Also, you now have a steel shot proofed gun with which AA Brown advise you shoot even standard steel through nothing tighter than half! Is it me? Where is the logic? 
Not only have they rendered obsolete any tighter choked gun ( unless the alternatives are employed ) including trap guns, but it also means you may as well just shoot HP steel through your nitro only gun ( which I do ) as long as you don’t go tighter than half. Teague incidentally, recommend quarter. 

The real test will be when they ban plastic cups, I believe they protect the bore from scoring, if they put a std fibre wadd with steel you'll probably start to see damage, I watched a new Perazzi/bywell video and Perazzi now built their guns to take steel at extra full, they have added more metal for the pressure. 

21 minutes ago, retromlc said:

The real test will be when they ban plastic cups, I believe they protect the bore from scoring, if they put a std fibre wadd with steel you'll probably start to see damage, I watched a new Perazzi/bywell video and Perazzi now built their guns to take steel at extra full, they have added more metal for the pressure. 

No one shoots steel with a standard fibre wad. 

21 minutes ago, Scully said:

ANY choke can be used with standard steel, including full.

Any choke can be used - there is no 'rule' to say not.  But the Proof Houses (CIP) recommend not to use tighter than half and the gunmakers (such as AA Brown) follow that.  You are free to ignore that advice, just as you are free to shoot HP steel through a non "fleur de lis" proved gun.  Personally - I tend to follow recommendations and advice from institutions such as the proof house as they have much more knowledge and experience that I do!

The fleur de lis higher proof level (as you rightly say) simply tests at a higher pressure.  It gives a level of confidence that damage (probably mainly bulges) won't happen.

Its really 'horses for courses'.  A heavier, stouter build (and perhaps 3" chambered) gun was always intended for higher loads and so pressures.  A light game gun, built with minimising weight in mind will be at higher risk of damage.  Also - being light, it would probably not be all that pleasant to shoot with HP.

Surely the shot size has a bearing on this?  Also what about this pressure malarky?  Take a plastic cup, no lid, (like a wad) full of shot and squeeze the sides. What happens?    The shot doesn't pierce the sides. Like water, it will take the path of least resistance.....out of the open top.

All this reminds me of the 2000 millennium bug scare. On the stroke of midnight 31st December 1999, anything with a date and controlled by computers would go ape**** and shut down. Planes would fall out of the sky etc.  People spent fortunes trying to counteract this doomsday scenario. And what happened.....Naff all.