The Green Lockdown?

Penelope

Oxford has always been a "Special" place tbh - I used to commute through it - Bus from Brize Norton and then train from Oxford to Reading. Used to take a good 1hr 45 minutes  Then they done the Oxford Transport Strategy. I ended up buying a car and driving to Didcot - I could do the commute then in under an hour each way.

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

once more another turn of the screw in the control of the meek and compliant thick populace....as the polititicos head for their winter champagne palaces............

the wheel is turning...and comes forth the rise of the Luddites..........time for a reset

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

once more another turn of the screw in the control of the meek and compliant thick populace....as the polititicos head for their winter champagne palaces............

the wheel is turning...and comes forth the rise of the Luddites..........time for a reset

Very true, the last 2-3 years have outed many of the sheep.

54 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This has to be illegal, right 

Its only illegal if you think you're within the law, sadly all governments do not!

I grew up in Abingdon just to south of Oxford and did my apprenticeship in the city - it's place that holds many memories for me.

Oxford has had a strange relationship with the motor vehicles going back to the 1970s when the 1st Park and ride appeared.  A mate's father back then was chairman of the Oxford Traffic Committee and the guy didn't even have a driving licence. Additional irony in that the 1st MG sports cars were made in Longwall Street (close to the High Street) before production moved to Abingdon.

I guess the issue is that the historic centre of Oxford is quite compact with few options to build alternative-route relief roads because of inevitably blighting some historic view - i.e. Christchurch Meadows to the south.   They'd be better off banning all motor vehicles from the city centre instead of meddling in annoying half-hearted gestures.

Oxford is best visited by train!