Leaving a car in a car park.

oowee

I have to leave a car in a multi storey car park for a while. Anytime from 1 month to 8 months. Its a Honda 1.6 diesel auto. How long should i be able to leave it without doing anything ie how long would i reasonably expect the battery to last with the alarm system on? 

If I take the battery lead off will it then be ok for 8 months or do I need to do anything else. Can i just put the lead back on and expect to start it? Would I be better leaving it connected and buying a battery jump start kit to get it going again when I get back to it? 

I am also in the RAC so I could just leave it and get them to jump start if it's all gone flat. 

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have to leave a car in a multi storey car park for a while. Anytime from 1 month to 8 months. Its a Honda 1.6 diesel auto. How long should i be able to leave it without doing anything ie how long would i reasonably expect the battery to last with the alarm system on? 

If I take the battery lead off will it then be ok for 8 months or do I need to do anything else. Can i just put the lead back on and expect to start it? Would I be better leaving it connected and buying a battery jump start kit to get it going again when I get back to it? 

I am also in the RAC so I could just leave it and get them to jump start if it's all gone flat. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYDRA-Fuelplus-Biocide-Treats-Additive/dp/B0747CRC3W/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2VUII5OK4PIFA&keywords=diesel%2Bbiocide%2Bfuel%2Btreatment&qid=1673881522&s=automotive&sprefix=Diesel%2Bbiocide%2Cautomotive%2C99&sr=1-5&th=1

Its worth treating your fuel tank with a biocide to stop the diesel getting ruined. I once had to have a very expensive tow in, fuel tank drain and clean out on a diesel vehicle not being used for a while. Boat owners with diesel motors will be familiar with this on Winter layups.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

My old Defender (no electronics) sits for months (garaged) and goes instantly .......... provided the battery is good.  Once the battery is a few years old, some are fine, others don't stay up.

My more modern BMW and Mercedes (both around 2005 models) have various bits of electronics (alarms, clocks, listening/monitoring for key fob and go flat after a time (been marginal after a month, but not a new battery).  They would last quite a while in the summer months, but less if the "start" has to be in winter.  My guess (and it is only that) is that you would be OK for 2-3 months, but I rather doubt 8 months would work.  Car type batteries are not designed to have low self discharge and there will be some (minor) drain from the car if you leave it connected.

Nothing technical to offer but are there any terms / caveats etc in your motor insurance policy which suggest that it would be prudent for you to notify your insurers of any significant changes to your stated normal overnight storage arrangements? As an example, if your car suffered damage they could try and refuse a claim on the grounds that the insured risk was generally overnight parked in a gated compound not 6 months in a public car park! 
Just a thought. 

18 hours ago, oowee said:

I have to leave a car in a multi storey car park for a while. Anytime from 1 month to 8 months.

Edited by Bobba

Thanks for the input. Some food for thought there. I think I will renew the battery as a starter for ten to make sure its as good as possible. Put additive in the fuel I have some already. I will also sp[eak to the insurer and see what they say. I may have to drive the car home and go down on the train leaving the car on my home carpark. The car park belongs to the marina is pretty secure but my insurer may have a different view :good:

I have a friend who leaves his BMW in his garage for up to 6 months at a time. I go and drive the vehicle to the airport to collect him. The car is now 5 years old and still the original battery. Last time I went for the vehicle, it just about started. After a good run, everything went back to normal. There are too many electrical gizmos to disconnect the battery. I borrow a jump start battery pack, just in case ! That may be a better option if at all possible  ?

Edited by Westley

On 16/01/2023 at 15:02, oowee said:

Hmm! I went to Nigeria in 2015 for two weeks. Because of the Presidential Elections and courts being closed I was there an extra two weeks. So away for four weeks and a couple of days. This in UK late Spring. Battery was flat in my Mazda 2 on my return. So I'd say two or three weeks in a car with a battery of average age and average capcity.

18 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Hmm! I went to Nigeria in 2015 for two weeks. Because of the Presidential Elections and courts being closed I was there an extra two weeks. So away for four weeks and a couple of days. This in UK late Spring. Battery was flat in my Mazda 2 on my return. So I'd say two or three weeks in a car with a battery of average age and average capcity.

Your battery was worn out! 
How come I could start a high compression diesel engined Peugeot after 2 years on it’s original 10 year old battery?