Just something about these hills

Dave at kelton

24 minutes ago, London Best said:

Not being awkward, but “the horizon” is ALWAYS as far as the eye can see!

Yes I have to agree with you L B , it's just the way we express these facts :lol: , would you believe the horizon is just over 3 miles away if you were standing on the beach , mind you that would be depending on how tall you were :hmm:

Looking at Dave's lovely mountains , if we had just one it would be a major tourist attraction and would bring good money into the county, and you would see that from just about anywhere Norfolk .

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Yes I have to agree with you L B , it's just the way we express these facts :lol: , would you believe the horizon is just over 3 miles away if you were standing on the beach , mind you that would be depending on how tall you were :hmm:

Looking at Dave's lovely mountains , if we had just one it would be a major tourist attraction and would bring good money into the county, and you would see that from just about anywhere Norfolk .

We are in Derbyshire, although not the really hilly part. But we have a hill three miles away from which, on a really clear day, you can see Stoke on Trent, 50 miles away. Not that anybody would want to look at Stoke on Trent.

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

We are in Derbyshire, although not the really hilly part. But we have a hill three miles away from which, on a really clear day, you can see Stoke on Trent, 50 miles away. Not that anybody would want to look at Stoke on Trent.

Hello, I am sure there will be PW members who live in or around Stoke on Trent find your post offensive 🤔 saying this according to reports I live in the 23rd worse place to live in UK, 🤔 oh thankyou for posting those nice photos Dave 👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I have only been up to Scotland once and that was to a C L A Game Fair at Crieff in Perth , rather than just go to the fair we spent a week touring around and I can fully understand why Dave moved up there , we went just beyond Inverness and ran out of time as we were going to the fair the following day , the scenery along the West side was outstanding as well as the scenic routes around the Lochs , also the local people were very friendly , in fact more so than some of my fellow residents , we tend to be a bit more reserve with strangers , alright once we get to know them but it can take a fair bit of time before we let them in  , all in all it was an excellent holiday and time we got back we had covered about 1200 miles , mind you some of that was going round in circles :lol:

I have also been up to your neck of the woods at Chatsworth a few times and I must admit that area also take some beating , stunning countryside .:good:

33 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I have only been up to Scotland once and that was to a C L A Game Fair at Crieff in Perth , rather than just go to the fair we spent a week touring around and I can fully understand why Dave moved up there , we went just beyond Inverness and ran out of time as we were going to the fair the following day , the scenery along the West side was outstanding as well as the scenic routes around the Lochs , also the local people were very friendly , in fact more so than some of my fellow residents , we tend to be a bit more reserve with strangers , alright once we get to know them but it can take a fair bit of time before we let them in  , all in all it was an excellent holiday and time we got back we had covered about 1200 miles , mind you some of that was going round in circles 

I have also been up to your neck of the woods at Chatsworth a few times and I must admit that area also take some beating , stunning countryside .:good:

Scotland is my favourite place in the world. I have paddled almost all of the major rivers, climbed a few of the mountains and looking forward to taking my sail boat around the west coast. 

Whilst most of the place has been truly welcoming I have had some very questionable receptions. Not least was a pub (?) close to Spean Bridge that had a saltaire and red hand flag hanging in the bar. 

41 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I have only been up to Scotland once and that was to a C L A Game Fair at Crieff in Perth , rather than just go to the fair we spent a week touring around and I can fully understand why Dave moved up there , we went just beyond Inverness and ran out of time as we were going to the fair the following day , the scenery along the West side was outstanding as well as the scenic routes around the Lochs , also the local people were very friendly , in fact more so than some of my fellow residents , we tend to be a bit more reserve with strangers , alright once we get to know them but it can take a fair bit of time before we let them in  , all in all it was an excellent holiday and time we got back we had covered about 1200 miles , mind you some of that was going round in circles :lol:

You are right, Scotland, particularly the West Coast, is pretty much unsurpassed anywhere. 
Saying that, Norfolk is one of my favourite counties, proper rural. 
My ancestors hailed from the fens of Lincolnshire. We all have webbed feet and I upend in the bath every night.

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Scotland is my favourite place in the world. I have paddled almost all of the major rivers, climbed a few of the mountains and looking forward to taking my sail boat around the west coast. 

Whilst most of the place has been truly welcoming I have had some very questionable receptions. Not least was a pub (?) close to Spean Bridge that had a saltaire and red hand flag hanging in the bar. 

The sailing around the West coast and the islands is incomparable. 
I was privileged to spend a holiday doing exactly that in 1979 on a Rival 38. 
Watch out for Corryvrecken! We sailed through, but on a neap tide if I remember correctly.

Delighted you all like the photos. My experience is that the Scots have been overwhelmingly welcoming. As was put to me soon after we moved “ All anyone worries about is that you are a decent person, are prepared to work and pay your bills. The latest car, watch or fancy house are irrelevant”

On 17/01/2023 at 08:19, London Best said:

OI, less of that. Stokies are brilliant buddies.

Super photos thanks Dave, shame about the destructives in control?

Edited by old man

On 17/01/2023 at 12:25, Dave at kelton said:

Delighted you all like the photos. My experience is that the Scots have been overwhelmingly welcoming. As was put to me soon after we moved “ All anyone worries about is that you are a decent person, are prepared to work and pay your bills. The latest car, watch or fancy house are irrelevant”

My first contact I had with the Scotch folk was more than 60 years ago when the men came Herring fishing down to Yarmouth and the women came as well to clean and box the Herring , these women were legends down here , they were all ages and worked like trogons , built like gladiators and could gut the fish quicker than you could count , it was reported they could gut over 60 a minute , most of them had plasters over the end of there fingers where the knife slipped and to keep the salt out when they salted the fish when they were being boxed up.

The men were the same , worked six days a week and always had Sundays off , you always knew the Scotchmen as they had dark two piece suits and a dark coloured gurnsey on and would normally be in a small group , possibly the crew .

When I went on holiday to Scotland we never knew where we would end up each day so we booked up b and b wherever we ended up and not once did we have any problems , if they were booked up they would ring round and find you somewhere , as total strangers they treated us like family and couldn't do enough to keep us happy , lovely people and I hope they are still the same , hopefully one day I will go up there once again .

Heh!!! Isn't the UK overall just a great place to live....at the moment...give it 25 yrs and it will be....well I can't say here because the Mods will leap on me from a high poimnt.

The UK is so diverse. I have hunted and shot over Caitness and the West Cioast. Mull of Kyntyre and South Esk for salmon. Lake District for pheasant and roe and stags, Devon and Cornwall for sea and fresh water fish, Norfolk for pheasant and best of all partridge with a foray on the Wash for geese, not to mention Wales where I ran a pheasant/partridge shoot for seven years and also shot grouse , snipe, woodcock etc etc etc  in both north and south.   Been to a few places overseas but always more than happy to return to these shores.  How long it will last is anybodies guess.