Talk me into a PCP?

wildfowler.250

So here’s my dilemma. I’ve a HW77K which is fine. I can shoot grey squirrels off a feeder with it and close range rats etc.

What I struggle to do is (repeatedly) is head shoot crows/woodies etc further out. Now I’m by no means a bad shot and feel like the pellet on pellet accuracy with a pcp should make this a lot more achievable?

I’m really tempted by the hw100. Is there any reason not to get one? Everyone seems to go air arms.

Is there much difference between a .22 and a .177? My only comparison would be that I find the flatter trajectory calibers in CF rifles a lot easier. Over airgun range, is there much in it?

Lastly, dive bottles. Am I going to hate pumping the gun back up to full? My head and wallet say that a pump would be easier than driving back and forth to the gun shop or are they totally impractical?

I feel like I would get use out of a pcp but it’s just a bit daunting the whole field. I’ve got plenty other CF rifles but they seem to be in their own little world when it comes to refills and options etc.

Thanks!

If you have a local range that rents rifles for range use, go and shoot a few…..you’ll not need anyone to convince you in my opinion, in fact you’ll likely be straight down the gun shop or online looking for the best deal you can find 👍🏻

AA S200 break barrel woll shoot far better than you can.  If your not happy with your rifle then that would be my choice.  You do not mention distance.. A pigeons head is quite a bit smaller than a tree rat.

I have a PCP and use a dive bottle to top it up. but rue the day I sold my AA S200 177.  Carefull shooting from a good rest at targets at set ranges  measured with a tape will give you the hild over etc.

Edited by Walker570

A quality  pcp will help your accuracy  and consistency  at greater distances  than even the best springer .

.177   100 % . if your after head shots its all  about accuracy  and in sub 12 .a 177 will out shoot a .22 all day long .

Choose a jsb 8 4 grn or 10.34  grn and enjoy the flat trajectory and superb accuracy  .

The hw100 is a fantastic gun, awesome reliability, great accuracy, really quiet, but a poor shot count compared to others. In sub12 ft lb .177 is my preferred choice and has no problem knocking down rabbits out to 60 yards. personally i only use it for hunting so shot count does not matter to me, i use 3 mags then i pump it back up again, takes around 50 pumps. cant be ***** with bottles/testing/refilling/bomb in the boot 😅

30 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

A quality  pcp will help your accuracy  and consistency  at greater distances  than even the best springer .

.177   100 % . if your after head shots its all  about accuracy  and in sub 12 .a 177 will out shoot a .22 all day long .

Choose a jsb 8 4 grn or 10.34  grn and enjoy the flat trajectory and superb accuracy  .

Sums it up nicely. 

1 hour ago, wildfowler.250 said:

I’m really tempted by the hw100. Is there any reason not to get one? Everyone seems to go air arms.

Which ever gun you choose people will say get something else, you just need to handle a few different guns to see which you like.

Something small like an Ultra wouldn't take long to pump, but depending on how much you shoot a bottle lasts a long time, my four litre was filled last year I think, possibly 18 months ago?

PCP accuracy is simply outstanding when you do your bit.

https://airgunforums.co.uk/threads/air-arms-s200-mrk-3-177-complete-kit.26727/#post-419081

I'm not saying this would be my choice, Nev loves his, but there are good deals out there on full kits, the price of a new quality PCP would be double this.

Your other option could be look at FAC air, using 22 you'll get a cheaper gun, better range and flat shooting 

Cheers guys, already very helpful!

So I’ve already narrowed it down to .177 as it definitely seems to be the popular choice on here.

Pump wise, is there a “best pump” ? Do they tend to be brand specific or does a weihrauch pump work well for say, an air arms?

Happy to look into the air arms range as well as they do seem popular. I could go new which would give me a warranty although seems daft with so many second hand options about.

Hello,many years ago I use to pump up my falcon PCP and then a AA 410  and it was not to difficult, just kept it topped up after every time out ratting, now for the price of a decent pump you can buy a electric pump 12/240 volt which. many air rifle shooters are buying, I stick with my air cylinder that still has 3 years test, 7 ltr, cost £165, I would suggest you decide on your PCP rifle and take it from there, also depends on shot count, you maybe lucky and find a complete kit second hand, your be talking around a £1000 for a 510 and charging gear,where a gamo GX 40 around £400, and the latter get good reviews, there's lots of PCPs out now to make your choice, I would find a RFD that stock a good selection of PCP s and see how you get on finding the right one, if there's on that's right you might find S/H or as mentioned new and warranty, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Don't do it...

Put the practice in with the springer and maybe a good clean and a tbt kit. I've seen and know people that head shoot things at 50 and 60 yards.

Springers are just as accurate as pcp's , the shooter is the governing factor.

My pcp was and continues to be the most expensive piece of shooting kit in my cabinet. And least picked up. And whilst they make easy work of pest control they do it in a mind numbingly boring way,  just my opinion, but if you didn't want opinions you wouldn't have asked to be talked into buying an infernal puffergun.

Lol.

My own litttle space gun is a gunpower stealth in .25 490cc bottle is a bit of a mission to pump but shot count is epic, not the most refined gun but lots of add ons if wanted and packs down into a laptop like case and accuracy is very good, but saying that manthing is quite right spring guns can be super accurate.

A pcp is definately worth getting, I've had & still got a variety of different types, each have good / bad points. The AA S400-410 & HW100 are both a good choice. .177 vs .22 is a debate that will never end, I use both & had both in FAC also. I tend to prefer .22 As for pump vs tank, tank for me & I'll add nothing wrong with a pump but go for a small carbine & top up as often as you can rather than trying to fill from empty. If your happy with your springer but doubt has crept in why not invest in a good service & tune to smooth the action ?

Hi, all the above advice is good, and yes a well shot springer can be just as accurate as a pcp ,( the same as a 1959 Morris Oxford will get you to London, the same as a 2023 Aston Martin, its just easier in the Aston).

I tried a cheap pump, of 'tinternet' and it didn't  last long at all , so bought a Hill's pump (British made) and its been very reliable over the past few years . 

So much so that I only use my air bottle, when my ancient back is giving me jip .  

A BSA  Scorpion se .177 is the same as an Ultra with a longer barrel and air tube , Very underrated. and as accurate as you can be. 

6 hours ago, Longbower said:

Hi, all the above advice is good, and yes a well shot springer can be just as accurate as a pcp ,( the same as a 1959 Morris Oxford will get you to London, the same as a 2023 Aston Martin, its just easier in the Aston).

As pcp are the old tech your analogy is the wrong way round matey.

Pcp were pre yank civil war iirc but the tech has moved forward like we have from the Morris to the Aston. Lol

Agree about the pump being great and the Scorpion being under rated though.

6 hours ago, Longbower said:

Yeh , the minute i posted i knew i would be wrong . Thats why i dont post any more .

😅😅 keep posting 👍

I laugh when lads say springers are just as accurate as PCP, sorry but a pcp is accurate despite the shooter, mix in a good pellet,  scope and practice and your onto a winner.

You have be very consistent with everything with a springer, so why make things harder?