Prostate

Neverforget

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/06/2023 at 10:19, team tractor said:

My dads just had a result of 8 but told that’s nothing to worry about . Is that normal ?

All I can tell you is my own experience. I had no systems at all but had a routine PSA test which was border line high for a man of my age 71 at the time. That was 4.7 and they like it to be less than 5 for my age. Repeat testing monthly showed a gradual increase to 5.1. My doctor asked if I just wanted to keep an eye on it or proceed with a MRI scan.

I opted for the scan and it turned out I had cancer at the moderately aggressive level. I had my prostate out 17 months ago and seem to be ok cancer wise but continue to have a little bit of a problem with dribble but is not affecting my lifestyle.

My advice would be push for a MRI scan.

My dads just had a result of 8 but told that’s nothing to worry about . Is that normal ?

My PSA level was 7.3. Had a MRI scan then biopsy. They found cancer cells in all samples taken. Get you dad back to the gp, make some noise, anything above 6 needs checking out. 

On 04/06/2023 at 01:27, 39TDS said:

Cousins funeral on Monday, died of prostate cancer. 48, wife and young kid left behind as well as friends and family etc.

This happens all to often! NHS/gov will not fund a screening program, a tragic lose to save a few pounds!

See my posts from page Feb 3. John above is right in the sense that a stable level is important but I would counsel against putting faith and trust in a GP. Back in 2013, my PSA was 14 but the GP said nothing and didn't bother with regular follow up tests. 9 years later, with a PSA level of 2,293 I was diagnosed with advanced PC which had migrated to the base of my spine. Thankfully it had not become bone cancer and a CT scan showed my soft tissue to be clear. Nevertheless I am told that it's life limiting and, in the golden words of the Urologist: "It'll get you in the end".

Not content with ignoring my high PSA back in 2013, I now find that the GP blood test records show that on 24th January this year, one of the GPs accessed that record and deleted the PSA figure. Cover up perhaps! Not being one who gives up easily, I obtained the records from the path lab and there it is, April 2013 PSA level of 14.

My PSA is still falling and as of 3 weeks ago was 5.1.

I'll say again, do not trust your GP to give the right advice. Do your own research and you'll find that Serum PSA levels tend to increase with age. The normal level for a man over 70 is 4.5 - 7.5.

• 2 months later...

Well had my operation 5 weeks ago, yes there is after affects leakage from the bladder not my proudest moment I must say, but the cancer has gone and I can start living again 

not going to lie and sugar coat it, wasn’t a pleasant experience very uncomfortable and embarrassing but I’m on the mend ❤️🩹 

5 minutes ago, Neverforget said:

Well had my operation 5 weeks ago, yes there is after affects leakage from the bladder not my proudest moment I must say, but the cancer has gone and I can start living again 

not going to lie and sugar coat it, wasn’t a pleasant experience very uncomfortable and embarrassing but I’m on the mend ❤️🩹 

Had my operation 9 weeks ago and the cancer is gone, PSA levels are where the doctors want them to be. I too have the bladder control issues and embarrassing moments but it’s not going to stop me doing the things I want to do. I have an emergency pack in the motor. It does get easier as you relearn bladder control, it takes time. Good luck with your recovery, you are not alone.

5 minutes ago, Down South said:

Had my operation 9 weeks ago and the cancer is gone, PSA levels are where the doctors want them to be. I too have the bladder control issues and embarrassing moments but it’s not going to stop me doing the things I want to do. I have an emergency pack in the motor. It does get easier as you relearn bladder control, it takes time. Good luck with your recovery, you are not alone.

Thank you and good luck to yourself mate 

• 1 month later...

Glad the news was good. I've got an enlarged prostate due to my age I was told. I'm on Combodart medication but it's not that good. I still get the sudden urge to need to have a pee. A few weeks ago I was speaking to a Urologist who asked me how much fluids I drink. I told her that it wasn't a lot. She then said that drinking little can make the bladder weak which then informs the brain that you need to pee. I was told to drink more fluids, preferably water to ,'retrain' my bladder to hold more fluids before sending the signal. 

14 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Glad the news was good. I've got an enlarged prostate due to my age I was told. I'm on Combodart medication but it's not that good. I still get the sudden urge to need to have a pee. A few weeks ago I was speaking to a Urologist who asked me how much fluids I drink. I told her that it wasn't a lot. She then said that drinking little can make the bladder weak which then informs the brain that you need to pee. I was told to drink more fluids, preferably water to ,'retrain' my bladder to hold more fluids before sending the signal. 

Keep a close eye on it mate 

17 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Your urologist should know if you have BPH ( benign prostatic hyperplasia) which exists in virtually all men over 50. BPH is not considered a risk factor for PC but it does get worse with age as it begins to put pressure on the urethra. This leads to a weakened stream and failing to empty the bladder. BPH can also cause erectile disfunction and meds such as combodart or tamsulosin, whilst improving the stream, also have other sex related side effects.

The little blue pill is very popular among men with BPH who don't want to take tamsulosin or similar drugs.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just starting on the prostate check/tests etc today. I went to see the doctor this morning at 09.00 and a PSA blood test at 11.00 so now waiting for the doctor to ring with the results. The advice on the television about getting checked spured me on plus pressure from my wife and daughter.

Blood test yesterday and a message from the doctor this morning saying " your PSA test was normal"

So i will be starting some tablets to improve "flow". I have recently changed doctors and these are fantastic, getting a result less than 24 hours from the test is remarkable 👏 

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

" your PSA test was normal"

That's good news, but if you are concerned you should get it done regularly (I think it is once a year once you are over a certain age).

I get mine done regularly as my father had prostate cancer, spotted in a routine blood test, treated and he lived to a ripe old age and died 'with it' not 'from it'.

As well as the 'absolute value', any change is also a useful indicator.  As I'm sure your Dr. will have explained, the PSA test is only a 'useful guide', not a guarantee.

5 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Blood test yesterday and a message from the doctor this morning saying " your PSA test was normal"

So i will be starting some tablets to improve "flow". I have recently changed doctors and these are fantastic, getting a result less than 24 hours from the test is remarkable 👏 

hello, what are the tablets called because my gp recommended some but the notes mentioned about not being able to drive

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Thanks JD, i am sure that is what my GP mentioned for me if i have to get up at night to often but i was worried about the side effects for driving, 

I have been taking Tamsulosin for 3 months because i have a few big kidney stones, they do the trick of allowing a "good flow" i have noticed no side effects and ride the trike and drive the car on a daily basis.

Just now, welsh1 said:

I have been taking Tamsulosin for 3 months because i have a few big kidney stones, they do the trick of allowing a "good flow" i have noticed no side effects and ride the trike and drive the car on a daily basis.

thankyou, that is good to know in case i need this medicine 👍