Gun fit

Scully

45 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have just watched an interesting and informative short ( 20 mins ) film by TGS Outdoors regarding a friend of Johnnys having a gun fitted by William Powell. 
Well worth a watch in my opinion. 

Have you got the link please as would like to watch it because I have 3 12g U/Os all different yet seem to shoot the same ( sometimes well and other times not so well )with them all but what I do think makes a difference is winter bulky clothing compared to summer attire

8 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Have you got the link please as would like to watch it because I have 3 12g U/Os all different yet seem to shoot the same ( sometimes well and other times not so well )with them all but what I do think makes a difference is winter bulky clothing compared to summer attire

Can’t make the link for whatever reason. 🤷‍♂️

Just look for TGS Outdoors on YouTube. It’s called the ‘8 Month Pheasant Hunt’. 

Edited by Scully

8 minutes ago, tonyshooter said:

That interesting, as a pal of mine says the best money he spent on shooting was to have his gun fit measurements taken at Holland and Holland ( who actually had a 2 for 1 offer on at the time ) hence he was measured for SXS and O/U guns.

I bet that cost a few quid

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nice one, cheers

1 hour ago, Scully said:

No cannot find anything like that on their site, can you copy and paste the web address bar?

37 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Good value! A person would spend many times that figure on wasted cart’s if the gun doesn’t fit them. 

I think half the value is the confidence it gives you, knowing the top people have said it is right.

Edited by London Best

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think half the value is the confidence it gives you, knowing the top people have said it is right.

Personally speaking, not many guns fit me straight off the gun rack as I’m quite tall. The one size fits all just doesn’t work for me. I had my first fitting at Dixon and McNoughton in Edinburgh many moons ago. It was such a revelation to suddenly shoot with a gun that actually fitted - night and day. I agree though, confidence that it’s right is a major factor too. 

On 29/01/2023 at 19:14, Fellside said:

Good value! A person would spend many times that figure on wasted cart’s if the gun doesn’t fit them. 

I would agree, I've been thinking about this topic and think I should get myself measured but London is a way from Blackpool and I don't really go down there anymore, surely there must be a quality place in the North West, does anyone know of such a place?

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

I would agree, I've been thinking about this topic and think I should get myself measured but London is a way from Blackpool and I don't really go down there anymore, surely there must be a quality place in the North West, does anyone know of such a place?

IF you find one, let me know, I have spent 60 years looking  !   🙄

I ended up at Westley Richards in Birmingham in the early 80's. Things have not improved since.  Although my shooting certainly did after gun fitting.

Edited by Westley

On 02/02/2023 at 13:41, mgsontour said:

I had a SBS fitted by the Yorkshire Gun Room, they have a try gun then it was sent with the measurements to Elderkins.  It came back spot on.