Cartridges prices

On 07/02/2023 at 21:45, moondoggy said:

Is it just cartridge prices, or is the cost of cartridge reloading materials going up by the same amount?

Just wondering if reloading will become worthwhile again?

Reloading materials in very short supply and look on most sites and the majority are out of stock. What they have has increased considerably in price. Those of us reload big bore are really struggling.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes price increases are annoying, my own personal circumstances I shoot rifle & shotgun. sold .308 rifle silly prices for ammo , don't shoot as much c/f ammo as I once did, shotgun side I shoot a bit less clays now to reduce costs , don't shoot that many boxes of cartridges on local farm shoot over season to make a great deal of difference . I have taken up airguns again a few years ago to reduce costs but even pellet prices have nearly doubled over last few years

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

When?

It’s in play now unfortunately mate, stock already getting hoovered up at the old prices. Average £30 per thou increase. Taking the P and no doubt pricing people out of the game now for sure. The old lads had already dropped their shoots down to 75 birds to counter increasing costs, will no doubt see that drop to 50. Grounds are already feeling the pinch this will only add to it. 

I agree, it's going to curtail a lot of shooting.

I've just come off the phone from my new RFD, I've ordered 2000 x 21gram x8s Comp X for me for clays, 2000 Superfasts for my son for clays and just 1 slab of High Pigeon. I'll see what he's got in stock for .410 when I go in, but he only stocks 1 brand.

I'll review the cost again when I run out next.

29 minutes ago, Wylye said:

We look at these prices with horror but it’s not having much effect on shoot entries. Barbury, Hangmanstone and Gunsite have all had over 200 entries at their recent shoots. So where is the tipping point? £350 - £400 per thousand?

You have to also consider that this latest price hike hasn’t come into effect yet, with most shooter stockpiling shells prior to the increase. We’ve known about this hike for a good few weeks now. Let’s see how this plays out once the nice energy price increase comes and interest rates rise yet again. Of course the sponsored shooters won’t feel the pinch, it’s those on a pension or with limited income that will suffer which is a real shame as this is a fantastic sport/hobby, it’s also kept many sane through absolutely bonkers times that we’re living in. 

Edited by TK421

18 minutes ago, Rupert said:

200 at Catton last Sunday, East yorks no spaces,Swinton same im not seeing any effect yet at CPSA shoots. I bet the English,British be sold out with a waiting list. Jet Hall doing Fitasc at £80 and its packed. 

Weekends on the motorway just as busy. 

As mentioned in my previous post these prices haven’t hit yet. Time will tell. Also consider catton was a selection Shoot so will and does attract a lot of sponsored shooters. If you’re of the mindset that these prices won’t affect the industry and are welcomed I think you’re in the minority. I for one am sick of these price hikes. Cartridge prices have pretty much doubled in the past few years. People will inevitably reduce shooting or worse still stop shooting altogether. Plenty of shoots have seen a reduced foot fall on practice days etc, of course registered shoots will still attract punters, but registered shoots 1 Sunday a month for each club alone will hardly  prop up the rest of the industry. Like it or not the reality is this will happen and no doubt more price rises still to come.  

For every outgoing shooter there is new blood coming in at todays price point. Im just not seeing the reduction yet at the shoots i attend,same faces,same names on the scoresheet week in week out. Last sundays shooters were on the back of the last increases and in the coming months i may not see some of those names. I hear the noise about the costs but am drinking coffee with the same faces every sunday.

11 minutes ago, Rupert said:

For every outgoing shooter there is new blood coming in at todays price point. Im just not seeing the reduction yet at the shoots i attend,same faces,same names on the scoresheet week in week out. Last sundays shooters were on the back of the last increases and in the coming months i may not see some of those names. I hear the noise about the costs but am drinking coffee with the same faces every sunday.

What you have to consider is everyone has a limit, I genuinely want the industry to survive. No point charging a fortune for cartridges if there’s nowhere left to shoot them. How many shoots have disappeared? How many new shoots setting up? Of the new ones how many attend? My worry is exactly what your said in your comments, Same faces every Sunday, it’s when that stops we have a problem, same applies for practice reduced numbers attending and reduced number of targets shot, resulting in less money for the clubs. We will see clay prices increases next and CPSA entry fee increase as well. Last time I was at Hodnet they said practice had dropped off completely. You can guarantee prices won’t come down that’s for sure. 
regarding new shooters, I’m not seeing any, if I do you see them maybe once. 
let’s hope it doesn’t have a negative impact, my fear is it will, every single person I spoke to about it said the same thing. It’s getting too expensive, they’ll either shoot less or stop all together. Neither is desirable for the industry end of. 

Edited by TK421

13 hours ago, TK421 said:

It’s in play now unfortunately mate, stock already getting hoovered up at the old prices.

its mad how people are running about buying up cartridges at 250 a thousand thnking theyre getting good value for what was 180 2 years ago. clay shooting is gettiing a double whammy. clays keep creeping up too

8 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

its mad how people are running about buying up cartridges at 250 a thousand thnking theyre getting good value for what was 180 2 years ago. clay shooting is gettiing a double whammy. clays keep creeping up too

It’s out of desperation to keep the costs down and more importantly for the love of the sport, pretty sad that it’s gotten so expensive. 
of course the industry sees its fair share of wealthy participants, all you have to do is take a look around the car park on any given comp day at some of the cars parked up, so for some an extra £100-£120 per thou increase over the past few years isn’t a lot. Reality is the sport is made up of a mix from all walks of life, the industry needs them all to grow, and grow it must if it’s to survive. Seeing the odd new face isn’t enough, couple that with the hate the sport gets, the negative press, the ban on lead, noise pollution and continued politics and added bureaucracy surrounding licensing etc.. the price of cartridges is just the tip of the iceberg unfortunately. 

New Faces, at Swinton on Saturday for 100 esp  there were minimum 100 entries,cant be exact as some may be hidden.from that pool of shooters there were 6 that were starred against there classification- awaiting classification. Shot less than 300 targets at Registerd shoots Probably all chuntering about costs but stepping up with there monies never the less. 

Price rises aren't just limited to the UK and are like everything else mainly due to Ukraine and how the West is sanctioning Russia at this point and supplying Ukraine with munitions.

By excluding inexpensive Russian gas from the EU market, both gas for plastic and chemical production, gas for heat energy and gas for electricity production is 3x more expensive than it was pre-covid.

In addition arms and component manufacturers are being paid basically whatever margins they want for munitions components (brass, powder, primers, bullet heads, etc) and therefore with limited production capacities are focusing on the military contracts and production to the dearth of civilian shotgun\rifle cartridge manufacturers.

The powder charge for a 155mm artillery shell is roughly 2.5kg and Ukraine is firing 2000 rounds a day (5 tons a day, 35 tons a week, 1820 tons  over the last 12 months) and who knows how many tank shells, motars, small arms rounds etc. are fired each day and have to be produced.

Until Ukraine is defeated and the sanctions are removed from Russia, the price rises are going to keep coming.

29 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Price rises aren't just limited to the UK and are like everything else mainly due to Ukraine and how the West is sanctioning Russia at this point and supplying Ukraine with munitions.

By excluding inexpensive Russian gas from the EU market, both gas for plastic and chemical production, gas for heat energy and gas for electricity production is 3x more expensive than it was pre-covid.

In addition arms and component manufacturers are being paid basically whatever margins they want for munitions components (brass, powder, primers, bullet heads, etc) and therefore with limited production capacities are focusing on the military contracts and production to the dearth of civilian shotgun\rifle cartridge manufacturers.

The powder charge for a 155mm artillery shell is roughly 2.5kg and Ukraine is firing 2000 rounds a day (5 tons a day, 35 tons a week, 1820 tons  over the last 12 months) and who knows how many tank shells, motars, small arms rounds etc. are fired each day and have to be produced.

Until Ukraine is defeated and the sanctions are removed from Russia, the price rises are going to keep coming.

I get all this but as mentioned in my earlier, regardless prices won’t come back down, making it bit of a moot point really. All these companies  especially the energy companies are showing record profits  I just don’t buy the BS anymore. First it was price increase from covid bandwagon. Now it’s Ukraine. End of the day we all suffer in this sport due to nothing more than greed from every aspect. The decision is wether we put up with it and pay the price. 

59 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I get all this but as mentioned in my earlier, regardless prices won’t come back down, making it bit of a moot point really. All these companies  especially the energy companies are showing record profits  I just don’t buy the BS anymore. First it was price increase from covid bandwagon. Now it’s Ukraine. End of the day we all suffer in this sport due to nothing more than greed from every aspect. The decision is wether we put up with it and pay the price. 

Stop moaning and go shooting.

5 hours ago, Robden said:

Agreed. Friend payed £239 for 1000 F blacks 7.5s.

That is a good price, i cant remember F blacks being that low for a long time. The F blues were £239 for ages.

Not that i ever use them, but ive just looked on Just Cartridges site who are a bit stiff  on there prices;

F blacks 28g plastic  8.5  £299.

F blues 28g  7.5   £289.

Edited by mpmilo