Black spot/temporary blindness caused by IR digital night scope use

army646

Hi does any one use an IR night vision scope and suffer from the ‘black spot’ temporary blindness in one eye effect when you have been looking through it for a while and then look elsewhere?

Is there any way to reduce this effect? I have read that placing an astronomy type ‘moon filter’ in the rubber eyepiece can help reduce the brightness without losing contrast. Has anyone tried this and did it work?

If I cannot do anything to reduce this effect, I am afraid I will end up selling the scope and going back to an ‘add on type’ with a screen, which will be a shame.

Any thoughts/ideas other than turning the screen brightness down to minimum and putting up with it?

For me, i use on the lowest brightness possible, i use thermal spotter on red monochrome with lowest brightness i can, then for the actual scope mounted NV being tubed its only on for the shortest time possible for the shot and to check the shots gone true. 

I do have a slight issue but far far less using red than any of the other colours, i find white hot or black hot the worst. 

15 minutes ago, army646 said:

Any thoughts/ideas other than turning the screen brightness down to minimum and putting up with it?

Are you searching/ scanning with the scope? A separate spotter using your opposite eye would probably help you.

6 minutes ago, Dougy said:

do have a slight issue but far far less using red than any of the other colours, i find white hot or black hot the worst. 

I always flick through the colours as I find different colours work better depending on the weather, but I never use white or black hot.

I am currently using it for spotting, but looking for an IR spotter (monocular) with a laser range finder. The sight in question is an ATN X Sight II HD 3-14x and I find the ‘green’ night mode a bit hard work. Also I find I need to keep the screen brightness at 2, 1 seems a bit too dark. I recon old age and ****ty eyes might be part of it!

What about the ‘moon filter’ option, any one tried it?

Edited by army646

4 hours ago, Scully said:

At the risk of appearing thick, are we talking IR as in ‘infra red’ or IR as in ‘illuminated reticle’? 

Night vision/thermal. When looking down at the digital image. 

I would imagine your pupil will be shrinking due to the light of the image you are looking at, then when you come off the scope ****** light from the moon can get into your eye. I get it from my thermal spotter but not my digex scope.

Yes it's a problem .I moved away from this type of nv for exactly  this reason .I felt it would damage the vision in my right eye over time .

5 years later and my right eyes vision is not as good as my left eye . So maybe this was a contributing factor .

I swapped to a screen type nv and never suffered black spot eye again .

I dont think there is a solution. 

56 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes it's a problem .I moved away from this type of nv for exactly  this reason .I felt it would damage the vision in my right eye over time .

5 years later and my right eyes vision is not as good as my left eye . So maybe this was a contributing factor .

I swapped to a screen type nv and never suffered black spot eye again .

I dont think there is a solution. 

A fella on the Agf had problems with his right eye using a Pard, think it was a 008 and he had to stop using it for a while, with on going treatment.

5 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Night vision/thermal. When looking down at the digital image. 

I would imagine your pupil will be shrinking due to the light of the image you are looking at, then when you come off the scope ****** light from the moon can get into your eye. I get it from my thermal spotter but not my digex scope.

Thanks. I have a Wraith, and already have a PVD in my right eye, hence the reason for asking. 

It sounds that I am not alone on this one. I think that an IR NV scope is not for me, so it looks like I will be going back to a screen type add on and a IR monocular spotter with range finding. It’s a real shame, don’t want to let it go after using it a couple of times!

Is anyone interested in an ATN X Sight II HD 3-14x piccatiny to 11mm rear extended mount, 32gb card, power bank & leads, stock bag, x2 new rechargeable batteries for the included IR torch and possibly charger.

It will make a superb scope for someone a bit younger than I, with youthful eyes that adapt a bit better to the changing light level. Anyone interested before I list it on here or the ‘Bay’.

let mo know and I will post photos either here or on the ‘other sales’ section

Now Iam going to sound thick Scully, what’s a PVD?

Hello, it's never a good idea to use a dedicated n/v sat on a rifle for spotting to long and it can cause an eye black out which you then need a few minutes to readjust eyes, I had this years ago with my L/R until I bought a night vision spotter but then I used with caution and did quick scans, 

12 minutes ago, army646 said:

It sounds that I am not alone on this one. I think that an IR NV scope is not for me, so it looks like I will be going back to a screen type add on and a IR monocular spotter with range finding. It’s a real shame, don’t want to let it go after using it a couple of times!

Is anyone interested in an ATN X Sight II HD 3-14x piccatiny to 11mm rear extended mount, 32gb card, power bank & leads, stock bag, x2 new rechargeable batteries for the included IR torch and possibly charger.

It will make a superb scope for someone a bit younger than I, with youthful eyes that adapt a bit better to the changing light level. Anyone interested before I list it on here or the ‘Bay’.

PM'd

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's never a good idea to use a dedicated n/v sat on a rifle for spotting to long and it can cause an eye black out which you then need a few minutes to readjust eyes, I had this years ago with my L/R until I bought a night vision spotter but then I used with caution and did quick scans, 

Not only that but why swing a potentially loaded rifle round a field as a spotter?? Not exactly a safe way to scan a field.

8 hours ago, army646 said:

PVD is a Posterior Vitreous Detachment; I hadn’t heard of it either until my optician told me I had one. 

It’s an age related degenerative condition and manifests itself as ( usually ) little black dots floating around in your vision. Once you know what it is it’s not a problem, I just don’t need any more black spots in there! 🙂

It's the same as looking at any bright light in a dark scenario, turn it down as low as you can still see by, and limit yourself to a maximum of 2 minutes .

The filters tend to degrade the image and I've never had any success with them.

I scan with thermal and shoot with ir , and don't have a problem in the main.

23 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Get yourself a night vision spotter, monocular/binocular , with a rangefinder the cost goes up , or look at these a LE 32 weaver mounted, 

I get easily affected by near eye screen devices and consider them as having a 'no smoke without fire' aspect, who knows what long term deterioration they may be causing. Even as kids we were taught not to sit too close to a TV.

Heads up screen types are better for me where the screen is about 10 inches from the eye.