My Year So Far

As I have previously stated in some replies to other members posts  it has not been a good start to the year. So the purpose of this post is to set the record straight as to my absence from the forum.

Following a long holiday in Greece I returned to  UK  to find the birds feeding on natural foods so I concentrated my efforts on catching some Zander from the local canals which have been in existence for over two hundred years and hold some quality fishing if you know where to go.

During these night time manoeuvres I noticed I was getting breathless carrying my gear, I put this down to being an old **** at 75. I only managed to catch fish up to 3 pounds much to the amazement of the hoard of lure anglers I met during my travels who seemed not to catch much at all.

On the 6th of December I collapsed at home with no warning with a temperature of 41 degrees and blue lighted to our local university hospital, I was diagnosed with pneumonia and anaemia and stayed in hospital for ten days . During which I had various scans, my breathlessness was put down as the oxygen level in my blood was so low that the muscles required oxygenated blood so the lungs had to work harder. The scans confirmed that I had a problem with my blood and bone marrow for which I’m undergoing daily tablets and weekly hospital sessions for the next nine months. All is fine and I feel fine in myself but the effects of the steroids and the chemo do affect my shooting.

My wife decided to buy me a belated Christmas present in the form of an electric Carp trolley to allow me to carry my gear around the fields. I’ve used it once so far  to good effect. Bunny_Blaster has taken me on his permission three times now with the results being 9 and 16 respectively. This is a farm with concrete roads allowing good access.

So yesterdays report, BB sent me a video of the field in the week with a good number of birds flighting on the rape, so I set up at 09.00 after putting a rope banger on a local farm but it was very windy and I think the hole string will be burnt out in a couple of hours. BB arrived at 09.30 and as we talked about our plans for the day I had two in the decoys , luckily I dropped them.

BB was on his quad so he decided to set up in the very large field to my rear/right the day was very hit or miss with long periods with no birds then one would appear from over the hedge behind me.

BB packed up at 16.00 with 24 birds , I think I was taking his birds as they came over the field. He had a couple of birds in my hide sharing the gun. As he left it started to rain and I had a downpour  but finally  packed up at 17.30 and picked up 48 birds . I thank BB for accessing his land and allowing me to take his birds. DB and Topgunners have been out during my layoff but have had one good day but not much more.

Well that’s  it , my consultant is happy with my progress and very positive attitude. My reason for posting is to make people aware that if you have a condition that suddenly appears get it checked out . If I had not collapsed I would have got worse without my knowledge, I feel a fraud as I feel basically OK , my attitude is that I will carry on doing what I want to do until I cant . The picture shows my birds laid out by order of " The Peaky Blinders" and BBs laid out "Norfolk Style" at my feet.

100_3641.JPG

100_3645.JPG

I know the feeling when for most of your life you have been fit and active and then something comes along and knocks you off your feet, I was knocked of my feet with polymyalgia, took 12 months of treatment to get me back to something like normal, okay now but still a little weak and the odd day of shoulder and arm pains but a couple of paracetamol helps.

Glad to see (with the help of friends) you are at least getting out and shooting a few, as you say its not been the best of years for pigeons but I have seen more pigeons about the last month or so, had a few good days on that field next to the M5.

Hope you make a full recovery and can get back to what you enjoy doing, shooting more pigeons.

All the best Dave

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

I know the feeling when for most of your life you have been fit and active and then something comes along and knocks you off your feet, I was knocked of my feet with polymyalgia, took 12 months of treatment to get me back to something like normal, okay now but still a little weak and the odd day of shoulder and arm pains but a couple of paracetamol helps.

Glad to see (with the help of friends) you are at least getting out and shooting a few, as you say its not been the best of years for pigeons but I have seen more pigeons about the last month or so, had a few good days on that field next to the M5.

Hope you make a full recovery and can get back to what you enjoy doing, shooting more pigeons.

All the best Dave

That’s very kind , I’m determined to beat this one way or another, thanks.

That's ok mate, I feel for you.

I do wonder just how long us old’uns (73) can carry on acting like we are still in our 30s, I do sometimes have visions of the farmer finding me face down on a field of rape with all my shooting gear still strapped to my body, think I will have to look at one of those powered trolleys.

I realise from the way that your post is written that you’re not looking for sympathy but…..im very sorry to hear of your recent struggle and sincerely hope you make a speedy and full recovery! I really enjoy reading of your exploits in the field and shall look forward to reading many more. Onwards and upwards pc 💪🏻

23 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I realise from the way that your post is written that you’re not looking for sympathy but…..im very sorry to hear of your recent struggle and sincerely hope you make a speedy and full recovery! I really enjoy reading of your exploits in the field and shall look forward to reading many more. Onwards and upwards pc 💪🏻

That’s the only way!!!!

37 minutes ago, old'un said:

That's ok mate, I feel for you.

I do wonder just how long us old’uns (73) can carry on acting like we are still in our 30s, I do sometimes have visions of the farmer finding me face down on a field of rape with all my shooting gear still strapped to my body, think I will have to look at one of those powered trolleys.

I’m still 18 in my head !!!!!

24 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

24 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

The only way:- my attitude is that I will carry on doing what I want to do until I cant .

Life is for living if you don't do it then you wont be able to do it. Stay as well as you can and if need be,manage whatever you have to try to do whatever you want. Where there is a will there is a way even if it's not quite the same as before.

Good luck.

I am about to embark on new adventures sailing my boat pretty much full time. If i don't do it now then who knows 😁

We can prolong getting old but we can't avoid it , we think at times we are invincible but we know we are not , I have been pretty fit for most of my life and in my younger days I could manage to cart off a field between 40 / 50 dead pigeons with not to much bother , then from around reaching 50 I had to cut down to a maximum of around 40 , then every five years or so I found I had to reduce the weight even more where now with being the same age as you I find 25 / 30 is more than enough to lift ,

Before your recent illness you would often report of carrying 50 plus back to your motor and then lay them all out for a photo before sacking them up again to go back into the motor , I knew I couldn't do that and I thought you were made of steel and much admired your stamina , not it seem that your body have told you to ease up a bit and hopefully the rest have done good , even now with you just been out all day would be just to long for me , four , maybe five hours would be my lot and now I do as much as I enjoy and what my body can cope with , I look at it as the best days are behind me and I do my best to enjoy whatever time I have got left , hopefully you are over the worst and can now see a daily improvement and the days will come back where we can read of your regular exploits of doing what you do best in controlling Pigeons .:good:

All the best  MM   ( John )