Trap stock browning 525

Gerry78

Last year I bought a new browning 525 sporter lovely gun but me being a tall sod I’m finding the stock a bit low when at the clays if that makes sense I recently shot my friends trap stock browning and it felt a lot better Wanted advice can I buy a trap stock and get it fitted to the 525 any suggestions ??

4 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

If your shooting trap. Buy a dedicated trap gun. A sporter will never replicate a trap gun, adjustable stock or not.

I think this is good advice. There are some reasonably priced guns about and you would shoot better with a dedicated trap gun

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

Why keep the gun at all if it doesn’t come up right?

Yes good point but to be honest most of my guns aren’t a 100 percent that don’t come up right to my cheek as I’m a tall *** The reason I keep them is that there multi chokes need them for steel shot (ducks) Most of the trap models I’ve borrowed to shot are 3/4 Full I think 🤔 you can get trap guns with multi chokes I’m just gonna buy a dedicated TRAP model 👍👍

Just now, Gerry78 said:

Yes good point but to be honest most of my guns aren’t a 100 percent that don’t come up right to my cheek as I’m a tall *** The reason I keep them is that there multi chokes need them for steel shot (ducks) Most of the trap models I’ve borrowed to shot are 3/4 Full I think 🤔 you can get trap guns with multi chokes I’m just gonna buy a dedicated TRAP model 👍👍

Not to mention the amount of money I’d lost 😞 trading the sporter in 

1 hour ago, Wylye said:

Go and buy a Miroku MK38 trap. Get the best one you can find for about £850, it will be fine.

This…..

1 hour ago, BlaserF3 said:

Browning 525 Trap One is the way to go, multichoke too.

….or indeed this. Both better options than your sporter in my opinion. 

The dedicated trap shooters tend not to favour multi choke guns. Although the best guns for fast trap (Perazzi - imho) have a multi choke bottom barrel so I don't know really. I know it's easier to sell a fixed choke trap gun rather than a multi. Each to their own I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Wylye said:

The dedicated trap shooters tend not to favour multi choke guns. Although the best guns for fast trap (Perazzi - imho) have a multi choke bottom barrel so I don't know really. I know it's easier to sell a fixed choke trap gun rather than a multi. Each to their own I suppose.

The wonderful Winchester Diamond Trap Guns were the same. Multi-choke bottom barrel and fixed full in the top.

It was to allow for the quicker shooters to use a more open choke.

When you are 'at the clays' what discipline are you shooting  ?  IF it happens to be a trap discipline,  then OK,  buy the trap gun. The new model MK38 Trap, is multi choked. IF you are using the gun as an all rounder, then get an adjustable comb fitted to your sporter.

I shoot trap maybe 6 times a year, usually as part of an 'all rounder'. My Trap gun is a Franchi Barrage trap that I paid less than £200 for. 30" fixed choke (tight) barrels, adjustable comb and stepped rib. Great tool for the job at the right money.

11 hours ago, Westley said:

When you are 'at the clays' what discipline are you shooting  ?  IF it happens to be a trap discipline,  then OK,  buy the trap gun. The new model MK38 Trap, is multi choked. IF you are using the gun as an all rounder, then get an adjustable comb fitted to your sporter.

I shoot trap maybe 6 times a year, usually as part of an 'all rounder'. My Trap gun is a Franchi Barrage trap that I paid less than £200 for. 30" fixed choke (tight) barrels, adjustable comb and stepped rib. Great tool for the job at the right money.

Westley It’s DTL Only 1 or 2 shoots a month the reason I posted was I borrowed a friend’s trap gun and my score went up due to the stock being higher on my cheek my browning sporter is all right for game as usually I’m snap shooting in the duck&pigeon hide It seemed to me I was able to concentrate more using the trap model on the clays as I felt I wasn’t dropping my head lower for my eye to line up with the gun if I’m explaining this right I’m certainly thinking now of buying the mk38 keep it just for clays thanks for the reply 👍👍👍

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Westley - £200 for a Franchi barrage - bargain.

Yes, I thought so too Gordon. Couple of small bits of wood missing from the back edge of the forend, but I can live with that. The gun shoots exceptionally well. It has a lovely red line down the centre of the top rib, which makes it easier to find in a gun rack  !  😀 

7 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Westley It’s DTL Only 1 or 2 shoots a month the reason I posted was I borrowed a friend’s trap gun and my score went up due to the stock being higher on my cheek my browning sporter is all right for game as usually I’m snap shooting in the duck&pigeon hide It seemed to me I was able to concentrate more using the trap model on the clays as I felt I wasn’t dropping my head lower for my eye to line up with the gun if I’m explaining this right I’m certainly thinking now of buying the mk38 keep it just for clays thanks for the reply 👍👍👍

Trap= rising targets. 
Duck&pigeon hides very often = dropping targets.