Polling day

Bigteddy1954

5 minutes ago, GHE said:

Personally, I cannot support any party. Both Labour and Conservatives have some policies that I agree with and others that I don't, and in my own area even if I wanted to support Labour it would make no difference, even a monkey wearing a blue rosette would win - and has! Actual democracy can only exist in marginal seat.

Back in 1887 Lord Acton wrote that " Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely" and I think that the current government has proved this to be true, it's time for a change even if the replacement is far from perfect.

Which leaves us with Labour, because I see no point in voting for the Liberals, Greens or anyone else that cannot win.

But, as a shooter, I worry that Labour will be even worse for us than the conservatives.

The only reason the smaller parties don't win is the media construct that if you don't vote conservative, labour will get in and if  you don't vote labour the conservatives will get in, when their policies are with few exceptions going to be almost the same failing policies and as the media are happy with this arrangement as they represent the controlling powers reflected in ther larger parties.

In truth, if the disaffected and those who don't vote, voted Reform (for instance), both Labour and the Conservatives would suddenly find themselves in a three way fight everywhere.

Smaller parties can not win and therefore nothing will change, if you keep voting for the same large party to keep the other large party out or dont vote.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

The only reason the smaller parties don't win is the media construct that if you don't vote conservative, labour will get in and if  you don't vote labour the conservatives will get in, when their policies are with few exceptions going to be almost the same failing policies and as the media are happy with this arrangement as they represent the controlling powers reflected in ther larger parties.

In truth, if the disaffected and those who don't vote, voted Reform (for instance), both Labour and the Conservatives would suddenly find themselves in a three way fight everywhere.

Smaller parties can not win and therefore nothing will change, if you keep voting for the same large party to keep the other large party out or dont vote.

It's why we need some form of PR, so every vote counts. 

How many seats did UKIP get with 13 million votes, and how many did the SNP get with far less.

At least with PR people can actually vote for who they want, rather than voting to keep Labour/Cons out.

Edited by Newbie to this

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

i feel your pain........................just out of interest who would you vote for ....or is that just a too personal question

I have voted Tory all my life but never again.  I will vote for Reform in the GE assuming they field a candidate in my area.  Thursday I had the choice of the main three and a Green candidate which was no choice at all.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

It's why we need some form of PR, so every vote counts. 

How many seats did UKIP get with 13 million votes, and how many did the SNP get with far less.

At least with PR people can actually vote for who they want, rather than voting to keep Labour/Cons out.

i wonder if i will ever live to see it ?

2 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Thursday I had the choice of the main three and a Green candidate which was no choice at all.

The local council elections are about local issues and local representation.  I would (and did) vote for the person who I feel best able to address local matters. 

I had a choice of 3 this time - the (nominally Tory) incumbent who lives in the ward and is very 'visible' and attends lots of local events etc., a Lib Dem who I had never heard of and sent no leaflet/information round, and a Green who again I had never heard of and sent no leaflet/information round.  The Tory incumbent won with (comfortably) more votes than the other two put together.

Before the present person, we had a (loosely Tory) Independent, who was returned many times until he retired and again lived in the ward and was very 'visible' locally.

Things do change though - apparently our council now even has one Labour member (out of 43 I believe) and I think that's a first!

On 05/05/2023 at 18:21, Yellow Bear said:

And then you look at Wales which the labour party are holding up as an example what should  be achieved and the Tories start to look good again.

On 05/05/2023 at 22:32, Lloyd90 said:

Prepare for a Labour Government. 

Now for the “if you think this lot are bad, just wait to see how bad it is under Labour” posts! 

Yellow Bear has hit the nail on the head, what has Labour done for Wales in the 22? Years of continuous control??????

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, could we not ask that for the last 50 years or from the end of WW 2 🤔🤔🤔

Most probably,  but I thought someone had said 22 years on the thread?

I don't doubt a change is coming,  but I like others don't expect anything to improve with labour, that's because I work for a living though.

53 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Yellow Bear has hit the nail on the head, what has Labour done for Wales in the 22? Years of continuous control??????

The Cons have had 13 years in power now. 

At what point is them saying “Oh but it would be soooo much worse under …” going to get boring? 

Giving Billions to their mate, scandal after scandal, blunder after blunder … 

Im just sick of them now as I imagine so are many others. 

Anyone but the current lot! 

Just now, Mice! said:

Most probably,  but I thought someone had said 22 years on the thread?

I don't doubt a change is coming,  but I like others don't expect anything to improve with labour, that's because I work for a living though.

Hello, maybe Mr Starmer will surprise us if labour win the next election 🤔🤔

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

At what point is them saying “Oh but it would be soooo much worse under …” going to get boring? 

Im just sick of them now as I imagine so are many others. 

Anyone but the current lot! 

You I and many many millions of UK citizens 🤔 

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, maybe Mr Starmer will surprise us if labour win the next election 🤔🤔

You I and many many millions of UK citizens 🤔 

He couldn’t be much worse tbh. 

I always work for a living but haven’t exactly flourished under the Tories but have seen the impact of significant cuts to multiple services, whilst watching them hand their mates billions. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sounds just like all parties for the last 70 years.

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, maybe Mr Starmer will surprise us if labour win the next election

He wont be there, if he wins the left will oust him for their puppets.  Nothing Starmer did would surprise me. If we are talking about scandal let us remember those swept under the carpet by the  lefty MSM e.g. leader and deputy(who denies being there) of labour party filmed at a party during lockdown, rampant antisemitism root and branch.

4 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I include Labour in this as well.

This Einstein misquote is very apt.

The definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

They may be the same party but as we have seen lots of changes in MP’s and leaders. 

Same with the Cons, The Conservatives under Cameron is/was nothing like the party under Johnson etc. 

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Right, but it only seems to me its the last couple of years where things like the roads have started to fall apart, so we pay top Whack for fuel which is taxed massively but the the roads are a mess, fuel crisis gets blamed on Russia and interest rates rise a tiny amount throwing everyone in to a panic.

Which ever gov are in power will hand there mates contracts for whatever,  that's just the way things work and always will.

If Labour do get power I just don't see anything changing or improving,  benefits will increase giving those on a lower income less incentive to work, and then voting Labour to keep the benefits,  it's just wrong.

3 minutes ago, Genghis said:

Solely from a shooting perspective, Labour have made numerous indications over the past year that they want stricter gun control. The Tories have not.

Most gun law changes / restrictions and bans have come in whilst the Tories have been in power. 

Don’t kid yourself. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

They may be the same party but as we have seen lots of changes in MP’s and leaders. 

Same with the Cons, The Conservatives under Cameron is/was nothing like the party under Johnson etc. 

Are they though, sure Corbyn is gone, but.........

Be truthful with yourself.

There is little to no difference between the two main parties. They will both **** the country and screw over the working masses, to pay for their **** ups and virtue signalling.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Most gun law changes / restrictions and bans have come in whilst the Tories have been in power. 

Don’t kid yourself. 

I’m aware of that. I’m also aware that most of the Tories from 97 are now either dead or retired.

Neither party is ‘pro-shooting’ as a whole, but when one party is actively calling for tighter restrictions and one isn’t, then it’s obvious which one not to support.

50 minutes ago, Genghis said:

I’m aware of that. I’m also aware that most of the Tories from 97 are now either dead or retired.

Neither party is ‘pro-shooting’ as a whole, but when one party is actively calling for tighter restrictions and one isn’t, then it’s obvious which one not to support.

Either of them would throw us under a bus at a moments notice if they think it would score them a cheap publicity win. 

Looking at the impact on the entire country for everything just sick of the current lot. 

On 06/05/2023 at 09:29, Stonepark said:

This!

I'm doing exactly the same and will vote reform if possible. A vote for labour or the tories is a vote for the status quo. If we want change, we need to vote for it.