Entice a magpie onto range after seen attacking lamb

Agriv8

12 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

After some ideas as farmer has watched a magpie poke the eye only on a poorly 2 day lamb.

I have never been able to get close enough so after some ideas on how I can get them close enough 

thanks Agriv8 

The only way I have ever drawn Magpies in close enough to shoot (air rifle) is to put bait down somewhere. When using my centrefire rifle (.204) I put bait out at around 100 mtrs and wait. 

Watch some " hunters vermin" utube vids he does alot of magpies .

Very very hard to control there numbers  they are 10 x smarter than crows in my experience .

And is why I never pass up an opportunity  to take a pica pica when presented  .

The lamb has been put out of its misery ( as was suffering before it had the eye removed)

would some crows decoys round the body be enough to entice them back in do you think ?

never seen them come down to the feed troughs like the crows .

Thanks guys my gut says once they have learnt this trick they need sorting as there are another 100 lambs due in next week or so !

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8

Get yourself suitably concealed having stopped on the way to the farm to buy a box of matches preferably in a wooden (not cardboard ) box from which you need to throw about half of the contents away. When you spy a bird in the area, rattle said box. If you can, keep hold of the lamb as bait. It is easier if you can get a bird from someone's Larsen.

Edited by wymberley

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Get yourself suitably concealed having stopped on the way to the farm to buy a box of matches preferably in a wooden (not cardboard ) box from which you need to throw about half of the contents away. When you spy a bird in the area, rattle said box. If you can, keep hold of the lamb as bait. It is easier if you can get a bird from someone's Larsen.

Wow never heard that one I will certainly give it a go. I gues this imitation of the magpie “chatter”

I have a Larsen but no decoy !

thanks for you help ! But happy for more suggestions 

Agriv8

I have shot lots of Magpies from the car and hide using a .22 rimfire or air rifle, they are suckers for decoys this time of year, I always keep a couple of frozen Magpie’s in the freezer and set them up in a grass field in an area that I have seen a few magpies, most times I will kill 3 or 4 but the best was 12 in one sitting.

I have tried plastic decoys but they are nowhere near as good as real birds, bit like pigeon shooting, dead birds work best. :good:

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

The lamb has been put out of its misery ( as was suffering before it had the eye removed)

would some crows decoys round the body be enough to entice them back in do you think ?

Thanks guys my gut says once they have learnt this trick they need sorting as there are another 100 lambs due in next week or so !

Agriv8

You should check out the kids toy box and pot a few marbles in your pocket for the next time you’re out 

blue or orange centres work best 

57 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Wow never heard that one I will certainly give it a go. I gues this imitation of the magpie “chatter”

I have a Larsen but no decoy !

thanks for you help ! But happy for more suggestions 

Agriv8

if you have a Larsen put a bit of straw in the bottom and a couple of eggs, you will catch magpies if the trap is suitably placed. :yes:

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Yes, I`ve used that ploy on a couple of occasions and I can vouch that it works quite well.

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Agriv8

If the carcass is left out, then one or two corvid decoys around it should work. I use Magpie decoys as well as Crows. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

magpie call, 35mm hard plastic film cannister, half a dozen 4mm ball bearing or 2ba nuts, it produces a sounds pretty close to a magpies warning call.

Another thing you could try is, setup a rabbit distress call in an overgrown area and wait, they are inquisitive birds.

19 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, another idea for a magpie chatter call is a 35mm film cannister with 22 air rifle pellets, keep adding pellets till you get the best sound,  hold in the middle and shake, once you have the right sound tape or glue lid

:lol:

I can hear the youngsters asking what the devil is a 35mm film cannister. They'd be better off scrounging a ERU cartridge cannister off TIGHTCHOKE if he has any left. :innocent:

Edited by wymberley

Setting up before dawn where the lamb carcase is, will get results, but for me, the Larson trap is a better and easier option, once you get that call bird. Once you start catching, move it around the farm, and it will keep catching. Keep the call bird, dry and fed, and you'll have success.👍

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I would reach out to anyone local for a dead bird, obviously you want to shoot them, but a dead bird lay with its wings out in your Larsen will bring them in quickly. 

What happens if you put the dead bird outside the larsen? :hmm:

One permission now long gone I used to walk the dog every day & sprinkle some peanuts on the ground in the corner of the field next to a small copse to attract grey squirrels, on shoot mornings I'd go earlier, sprinkle the nuts after setting up in a ready made natural hide. After a while Magpies would be waiting for me & come down once I had past by with the dog. I used stealth & took my time, I never let it become known as a dangerous place to avoid. Magpies are clever & learn quick but they only learn from what they see !!

So dropped the dead lamb near on of the feed troughs and set some crow decoys 2 corvids that took an interest in the carcass were dropped.

no sign of magpies until driving back down the lane a guess what in the 3 fields I don’t have permission to shoot over 5 magpies!

On the nuts I have topped up 2 feeders in the hope they will be tempted in ! I recall last year they we about when the greys were coming in !

Also looking at setting up 2 or 3 hides round the farm with a similar idea an old fella I was chatting to said you could go big game hunting but your quarry won’t be as canny as those magpies!

Thanks Ag

5 hours ago, THEINVISIBLESCARECROW said:

One permission now long gone I used to walk the dog every day & sprinkle some peanuts on the ground in the corner of the field next to a small copse to attract grey squirrels, on shoot mornings I'd go earlier, sprinkle the nuts after setting up in a ready made natural hide. After a while Magpies would be waiting for me & come down once I had past by with the dog. I used stealth & took my time, I never let it become known as a dangerous place to avoid. Magpies are clever & learn quick but they only learn from what they see !!

riv8 

I have most success with magpies shooting from the car .  They are not frightened/wary of cars , and you can get them within 20 yards if you put some nice enticing bait out.

I usually use a decoy next to the contents of a tin of dog meat or anything dead. You will need to keep the end of you rifle inside the car though.