Oystercatcher

harrycatcat1

At a hotel we stayed in recently Dunston Hall there were what sounded like oystercatchers on the golf course south of Norwich.  They were very illusive but finally caught sight of them last night. I didn't believe that they would be so far from the coast but I googled this....

Oystercatchers are typically found near coastlines, estuaries, and shorelines rather than inland areas. They are specialized shorebirds known for their long, orange bills. While they may occasionally venture a short distance inland to forage or to nest in coastal grasslands, they primarily dwell in coastal environments. The exact distance they occur inland can vary depending on factors such as habitat availability and the specific species of oystercatcher.
This message has been generated by Nova - download it for free:
https://novaappai.page.link/wp3fKzbNrLTGFh5r6

I didn't know that there were different species of oystercatcher. Have you seen them inland?

Screenshot_20230709_194413_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_194431_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_194448_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_194453_Gallery.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

Yup. Numerous examples of them nesting well inland. The map below is breeding season sightings. They can crop up anywhere inland really. I know they've bred regularly in Berkshire and Northamptonshire, and the Northern moorland areas have regular successful breeding pairs. For the Eurasian Oystercatcher, I wouldn't say they're quite as coastal-bound as that description would suggest, and I think the BTO data backs this up. They're more common on the coast, for sure, but there are plenty of inland areas they'll happily live on and exploit.

We only have one species of oystercatcher in the UK, but there are about a dozen in the genus. They're all basically alike, just varying amounts of black and white!

image.png.ab932f4d286f59a5a0fba402ef9ac439.png

48 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yup. Numerous examples of them nesting well inland. The map below is breeding season sightings. They can crop up anywhere inland really. I know they've bred regularly in Berkshire and Northamptonshire, and the Northern moorland areas have regular successful breeding pairs. For the Eurasian Oystercatcher, I wouldn't say they're quite as coastal-bound as that description would suggest, and I think the BTO data backs this up. They're more common on the coast, for sure, but there are plenty of inland areas they'll happily live on and exploit.

We only have one species of oystercatcher in the UK, but there are about a dozen in the genus. They're all basically alike, just varying amounts of black and white!

Well I never 🤔 everyday is a school day. Thanks for clarification 👍 

I’m about 35 miles inland as the crow (or oystercatcher) flies and they’re a common sight and sound around here.  They nest on the rocky banks of the river, a few years back, one made its nest on top of a huge pile of aggregate that was piled up in a layby- it always made me smile when I drove past.  I don’t know much about them, but I like the fact that they’re easily recognisable by either sight or their distinctive call.

We have a pair nest every year on a flat roof of some shops over the road from us,don't know how they manage with the local gulls(thanks to the school kids throwing food round) crows and now a growing band of magpies.used to be two pairs but just the one the past couple of years.

13 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

See them quite regularly on a big gravel pit, just to the north of London and have seen them inland in a number of locations.