MODERN CARS

DUNKS

Are a over complicated pain in the neck.

My 17reg Kuga has three windscreen washer jets. Two of which have stopped working. I could not even get the things off. Local ford agent wants £93 to replace the none working ones. They can not be unblocked. Checked online and the "heated" jets cost £36 each from Fords. cant see any aftermarket ones. Gone are the days when you just attacked a blocked jet with a needle and all was good.

39 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Are a over complicated pain in the neck.

My 17reg Kuga has three windscreen washer jets. Two of which have stopped working. I could not even get the things off. Local ford agent wants £93 to replace the none working ones. They can not be unblocked. Checked online and the "heated" jets cost £36 each from Fords. cant see any aftermarket ones. Gone are the days when you just attacked a blocked jet with a needle and all was good.

Hi. 

Have you tried blasting them with an airline backwards or up the pipe. 

5 minutes ago, mellors said:

Hi. 

Have you tried blasting them with an airline backwards or up the pipe. 

There is a none return valve in the jets which apparently fails and blocks the unit making it a design fault which ford wont admit as this then would be a warranty claim so they just say "blocked jets" which is not.

24 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Often wish a simple car was still available like 30+ years ago. None of the expensive stuff that is designed to fail and cost is thousands! Something without electric Windows,power steering,air con,electric mirrors,abs,ESC,computer controlled engine,etc etc.

Oh I wish to 👍

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I'd get rid of that kuga  before it really costs you .

"Blocked jets " is very small fry compared to what's coming .

Friends all got them, no problems but all manual boxes. Bomb proof Transit engines

12 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Friends all got them, no problems but all manual boxes. Bomb proof Transit engines

My goodness .you think  the 2.0 ltr diesel transit  engine .is bomb proof ?.

The faults start around 40 k . Unfortunately  it's the same engine as in the ranger . The 1 ltr petrol  ecoboost  is another ford disaster  .

Good luck with that .

27 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The faults start around 40 k . Unfortunately  it's the same engine as in the ranger . The 1 ltr petrol  ecoboost  is another ford disaster  .

Good luck with that .

2 pals of mine have had a ranger each and they have spent more time in the garage than on the road

The last issue was the engine going bang - got it back - went to fuel up and a spring snapped  !Not good 

4 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Often wish a simple car was still available like 30+ years ago. None of the expensive stuff that is designed to fail and cost is thousands! Something without electric Windows,power steering,air con,electric mirrors,abs,ESC,computer controlled engine,etc etc.

Ah this hardy perennial: The kind of people who desire such a vehicle are invariably not the kind of people who buy new cars. Guess what, manufacturers don’t make cars according to the desire of second or third owners.

There isn’t actually a market for a ‘simple to repair’ car, people who buy new cars don’t want to be repairing them at all, they want to drive them.

7 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Ah this hardy perennial: The kind of people who desire such a vehicle are invariably not the kind of people who buy new cars. Guess what, manufacturers don’t make cars according to the desire of second or third owners.

There isn’t actually a market for a ‘simple to repair’ car, people who buy new cars don’t want to be repairing them at all, they want to drive them.

No one has to repair and service their own cars,even me,garages have always been available! Cars are made now for the people with plenty of spare cash for all the expensive electrical repairs and faults after a few years. Of course that doesn’t affect the wealthy either as they simply buy new again!

21 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Good luck with that .

And then, when you get past that lot the suspension issues start kicking in. Ask me how I know!

Oh dear Oh dear. What a sorry mess but I was motoring when if your car even got to 40.000 you were lucky, they either rusted away or you had it in for a rebore  new pistons and big end shells after enjoying miles and miles of 30/40 bhp motoring. My last two motors did well over 100.000 without bother.

Going back to the windscreen washers, the washers on my Honda CRV stopped working, which was due to a black sludge from cheap washer additive, during the winter. I traced the plastic piping back from the jets and located a Tee piece fitted on the bulkhead. I then made up an adaptor from hose pipe connectors and plumbing fittings bushed down to 8mm pipe size. Then by warming the end of some washer plastic piping, got that to 'stretch' over the 8mm pipe. I now connect this to the washer system and a hose pipe, using water pressure to blow either way from the Tee piece. Cleans the system brilliantly.

The failure on my car "and others" is not really a blockage but a failure of the none return valve in the washer jet unit. Ford wont accept this as it would mean a warranty claim. Instead they insist its debris in the line and therefore caused by dirty fluid.