Favourite Meat

Duckandswing

Just laid here with the dog waiting for me tea to cook, which is baby back pork ribs. Got me think which meat is my favourite.

I certainly each more pork than anything else. I do love a lamb dinner and a good steak.

I also eat a fair amount of game.

I do eat chicken, usually as a curry etc.

I’d say pork is my favourite.

I could definitely give up chicken.

What about everybody else?

used to be lamb...........but now is chicken...there is nothing to compare with than a proper free range chicken..that has been allowed to roam...and ushered into the chicken coops at nightfall....fed on a diet of fat hen from the sugarbeet fields...seeds from the ceral cleaner...good pullet fodder..and scratching about for grubs... from an old boy down the road...that is roasted

it seems that a chicken is far more open to being cooked in so many different ways..

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

used to be lamb...........but now is chicken...there is nothing to compare with than a proper free range chicken..that has been allowed to roam...and ushered into the chicken coops at nightfall....fed on a diet of fat hen from the sugarbeet fields...seeds from the ceral cleaner...good pullet fodder..and scratching about for grubs... from an old boy down the road...that is roasted

it seems that a chicken is far more open to being cooked in so many different ways..

I’ve never eaten a chicken the like of which you describe. I bet it’s delicious.

I would have said beef - but these days gout means I have had to become a bit more cautious about diet in respect of things that elevate the risk of gout attacks.  Hence I eat less red meat and more chicken. 

So, favourite = beef.  Most frequently eaten = chicken (and turkey).  I enjoy game, pigeon and venison, but now only eat occasionally (game meat is a high gout risk).  I enjoy pork (and love ham, sausages and bacon). 

Lamb, duck, goose is only an occasional for me as they were never great favourites.  In particular, I don't like pink lamb.

Sika venison (from a hind) followed by rare beef then lamb would be my choice. Eat venison and other game around 4 nights a week. 

No meat I don't like but am not a fan of liver or kidneys. Deer heart sliced thin and fried is fantastic.

15 hours ago, Duckandswing said:

I’ve never eaten a chicken the like of which you describe. I bet it’s delicious.

he was faily well known in the village and the local area..........used to see his birds roaming the fields....he used to be the cowman on the farm ...then he retired and the farmer gave him the right to live in the bungalow free of charge and help him with his chickens...the old boy virtually brounght the farmer up as a young boy ...so he was consided family............the food inspecters tried to close him down (EU regs)......he just moved his chickens ....you had to put yer order in as he only prepared about 20 / week......

the only way i could describe the chicks was they were the equivilant of the Welsh lamb left tograze on the marshes...that sort of quality..............there is alot to be said about raizing food the old way........

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

My favourite is a beef steak,,,, specifically rib-eye 😁 But any meat I enjoy, lamb especially. Also chicken, as has been said, it's an extremely versatile 'meat' 😋

i think the nicest looking steak is indeed rib-eye............unfortunatly for me i cannot abide the taste..........my steak is rump

6 hours ago, London Best said:

Strange because to me deer heart tastes just like liver, and I don’t like liver.

I don't like liver at all and have tried many types including sika the morning I have shot it. Just can't get a taste for it. Think it reminds me of school dinners.

I don't get the same taste from deer heart although I have only ever eaten sika heart. I would say that some pigeon has a more livery taste than the deer heart I have tried. Possibly it depends on what they have been eating?

5 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

I don't like liver at all and have tried many types including sika the morning I have shot it. Just can't get a taste for it. Think it reminds me of school dinners.

I don't get the same taste from deer heart although I have only ever eaten sika heart. I would say that some pigeon has a more livery taste than the deer heart I have tried. Possibly it depends on what they have been eating?

I agree pigeon can taste like liver sometimes. 
Venison-wise I have tried heart from Fallow, Roe and Muntjac only and they all taste much of a muchness to me. I have not tried heart from a Red deer and I have only ever shot one Sika, and did not get to eat any of that.

Edited by London Best

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

well cooked mutton roast.................been decades since i had on of them...its what fresh made mint sauce was made for

Have never had mutton but think I would like it. Very hard to find in any butcher I know. Not sure I have ever seem it for sale.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I agree pigeon can taste like liver sometimes. 
Venison-wise I have tried heart from Fallow, Roe and Muntjac only and they all taste much of a muchness to me. I have not tried heart from a Red deer and I have only ever shot one Sika, and did not get to eat any of that.

I had never tried heart but some of the men I shoot with were always saying how good it was.I only tried it in the last few years and to be honest was very apprehensive going on my dislike of liver and kidneys but I can honestly hold my hand up and said it was lovely.  A very meaty flavour but no liver taste from it. I gave some of the first ones to my sons and told them it was pieces of steak and they never questioned it. Any time I had cooked liver before everyone complained about the smell in the house and then complained more about the taste.

53 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Have never had mutton but think I would like it. Very hard to find in any butcher I know. Not sure I have ever seem it for sale.

most decent butchers will get it for you ..if you order it up...........i cant think of any butcher that stocks it frozen or otherwise..........i have the same problem with oxtail