Donald Trump (the man)

ditchman

I'm not sure what point it is your making?

Growth is very blunt measure, important to economist, but I suggest the average red-state, or even swing state voter, is not considering the federal growth rate or GDP.

'Gas' prices, groceries, availability of work, especially manufacturing jobs.  Yes, I know all of those are *linked* to growth, but again that's not the hot button issue.  Trump prioritised manufacturing and energy security, the dems appear to think both are dirty words.

And yes, every administration's outlook rides somewhat on the coat-tails of the previous' ones economic policy, there is lag in the system.  The most famous British example is New Labour enjoying good economic times when they first came to power in '97.  But I'm beginning to sound like certain members on here, only able to quote examples from last century.  Speaking of....

24 minutes ago, oowee said:

In the early 1950s, for example, annualised GDP growth rate periodically exceeded 10%.

Bit of a reach that....wonder what happened back then that caused >10% growth? 🤣

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I'm not sure what point it is your making?

Growth is very blunt measure, important to economist, but I suggest the average red-state, or even swing state voter, is not considering the federal growth rate or GDP.

'Gas' prices, groceries, availability of work, especially manufacturing jobs.  Yes, I know all of those are *linked* to growth, but again that's not the hot button issue.  Trump prioritised manufacturing and energy security, the dems appear to think both are dirty words.

And yes, every administration's outlook rides somewhat on the coat-tails of the previous' ones economic policy, there is lag in the system.  The most famous British example is New Labour enjoying good economic times when they first came to power in '97.  But I'm beginning to sound like certain members on here, only able to quote examples from last century.  Speaking of....

Bit of a reach that....wonder what happened back then that caused >10% growth? 🤣

My point being simply that despite the rhetoric politicians are unable to conjure up value (growth) in the short term. It would take consistent strategy and long term policy to make a shift in the economic dial. Short term tax cuts, interest rate nudges, policy choices (liz truss maybe an exception) make almost no difference whatsoever to economic prosperity within the term of an office. Further, Trump does not have it in him to develop an idea let alone deliver it. 

Trump prioritised manufacturing? How what did he do that made a difference? Saying it is one thing but to secure change takes time. 

Edited by oowee

Given the total muck up the prosecuter is making with the charges and attempts to get the case silenced - as in disallowing the protaginists to have their First Amendment rights to free speech nullified, I can't see Trump going anywhere but home in the near future.  We've now had 2 judges throwing the prosecuters arguments out of the window.  Given all of Biden's money you would think he could afford better legalese? (2nd judge appears to be sympathetic towards fact Trump cannot get a fair trial in DC).

Pushkin:cool1:

ive been reading all the erudite replies to this topic.....my take on this is slightly more simplistic even purile

the majority of trump voters....no nothing of macro -economics....%age increases....trade deals...politics.........they just like trump....becuse they understand him.....he uses words and awful grammer they understand and use themselves......

you wrap a good american lump of wood in the stars and stripes and teach it to howl "yeeee--hahhhhhhhh"......it will win a seat in the senate

his electorate see him standing up for what he belives in   ...andhe is prepared to go to prison for his beliefs....(thats not how we see it on this side of the pond)...........but that is what his voters see in him.....

i still rekon that is what will put him back in the white house

I see it as Trump is a billion air and a narcasist, he wants to be recognised and remembered as the best president the USA has ever had and he's rich enough not to care about singing a political lime, or feathering his own nest for future gain.

I think it ironic that it takes someone like Trump, who's rich enough and therfore motivated by something other than money or personal financial gain, to be a more honest and virtuous person than the rest of the political class.

23 hours ago, ditchman said:

He is going  to get in..................just watch (open mouthed)

nah, Trump will get ~163 million votes, but spaghetti-brained Biden or whoever they put forward in his place (Big Mike?) will get 196 million.  Only a few hardened conspiracy theorists will notice a slight problem with the arithmetic there.

23 minutes ago, serrac said:

nah, Trump will get ~163 million votes, but spaghetti-brained Biden or whoever they put forward in his place (Big Mike?) will get 196 million.  Only a few hardened conspiracy theorists will notice a slight problem with the arithmetic there.

mike Pence.............dont make me larf :lol:

he wouldnt even make it as an extra in a Barbi movie

Edited by ditchman

6 hours ago, Rewulf said:

A fine example of a woman if ever I saw one :lol:

Disclaimer, this is not a real picture of Michelle Obama.

No photo description available.

she's improved somewhat since then.............................

on a slight tangent .....i think the funniest photo EVER TAKEN was at Mandalas funeral....i think it was Cameron and Obama and swedish prime minister (dishy woman).....doing selfies in the stands ...and in the background was a very serious mechelle obama with a face like a slapped cod looking very disaproviongly on as it was supposed to be a serious event...........