Pigeon shooting time

That depends on how much noise you think you will make.? 

Consider the wind direction also .it makes a huge diffence . A silenced gun is better and more considerate than a 12 b ou if you want to get out early .

Personally. I try not to use any loud un modded gun before 9 am  most days . And especially  on a Sunday. 

Thanks my thorts too 

This morning while in bed at home at 10 past 7  all he'll starts  now to be fair it's not a problem for me it's  I just no at some point to day I'm going to get some complaints and a bit stuck as to why so early 

And sorry that's country life I'm afraid dosent work any more

Edited by did i miss

No clay shooting start around here on a Sunday till 10 am and even then people moan , if you have got any concerns at all then give it a miss , sound is far more noticeable on a Sunday with the lack of traffic and anybody living nearby wouldn't be very happy if they are having a lie in and constantly disturbed by gun fire , so rather trying to get around it just give it a miss and try and pick a weekday , even then try and keep as far away from houses as possible to advoid seeing a Blue light coming towards you . :good:

45 minutes ago, did i miss said:

Thanks my thorts too 

This morning while in bed at home at 10 past 7  all he'll starts  now to be fair it's not a problem for me it's  I just no at some point to day I'm going to get some complaints and a bit stuck as to why so early 

And sorry that's country life I'm afraid dosent work any more

It can be a pain and also bad PR shooting early morning - but early is when the pigeon feed - and if they have found a piece they like they will cause untold damage 

I shoot crows - and they tend be very early risers

We had a few complaints and i politely told the people of the damage being done and the alternative to us been there would be a gas gun - every day of the week. We agreed the disruption for a morning a week is better 

Just now, jall25 said:

It can be a pain and also bad PR shooting early morning - but early is when the pigeon feed - and if they have found a piece they like they will cause untold damage 

I shoot crows - and they tend be very early risers

We had a few complaints and i politely told the people of the damage being done and the alternative to us been there would be a gas gun - every day of the week. We agreed the disruption for a morning a week is better 

If i am to be shooting close to a house or two i pop in and advise of such - sometimes take a bottle and a few pigeon - And make sure i ring the police and advise them too

47 minutes ago, marsh man said:

No clay shooting start around here on a Sunday till 10 am and even then people moan , if you have got any concerns at all then give it a miss , sound is far more noticeable on a Sunday with the lack of traffic and anybody living nearby wouldn't be very happy if they are having a lie in and constantly disturbed by gun fire , so rather trying to get around it just give it a miss and try and pick a weekday , even then try and keep as far away from houses as possible to advoid seeing a Blue light coming towards you . :good:

Totally agree to try to avoid Sundays. Being retired, like many on here, I now only shoot weekdays, but can fully appreciate others who work can only shoot at weekends, so perhaps limit it to Saturday or a silenced gun with the wind away from houses etc. 

3 minutes ago, jall25 said:

If i am to be shooting close to a house or two i pop in and advise of such - sometimes take a bottle and a few pigeon - And make sure i ring the police and advise them too

Whilst I agree to making yourself known to nearby householders, I don`t agree with informing the police. I believe that to be a slippery slope we need to avoid at all cost.

OB

22 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Totally agree to try to avoid Sundays. Being retired, like many on here, I now only shoot weekdays, but can fully appreciate others who work can only shoot at weekends, so perhaps limit it to Saturday or a silenced gun with the wind away from houses etc. 

Whilst I agree to making yourself known to nearby householders, I don`t agree with informing the police. I believe that to be a slippery slope we need to avoid at all cost.

OB

Each to their own OB - but having been on the end of a couple of call outs - having my morning ruined - not to mention the deployment of resources - I feel it is a sensible precaution where shooting may disturb people

2 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Each to their own OB - but having been on the end of a couple of call outs - having my morning ruined - not to mention the deployment of resources - I feel it is a sensible precaution where shooting may disturb people

I think that`s the crux of it. Maybe I`m fortunate that my shooting generally is well away from houses, but if I do shoot within gunshot (sound, not range) I, like you make the householders aware of my intentions. As said previously by Ultrastu, the wind direction makes a terrific difference to noise travel, so should always be borne in mind.

Whilst I know that it`s not a legal requisite, I avoid shooting anywhere near public footpaths. Again I may be fortunate that the land I shoot has very few if any footpaths.

I therefore sympathise if you have had instances of a couple of call outs, so can fully appreciate your angle on this.

OB

Round here there's no Clays on a Sunday before 1000, even 0955 and complaints are logged. First shot is normally timed to the Church Bell.

On my perm it's 0830 any day although due to the amount of current damage by crows, I've just made an agreement for a pre dawn start on one pre agreed day. That allows me to inform the farm and them to inform anyone they feel the need to.

50 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I think that`s the crux of it. Maybe I`m fortunate that my shooting generally is well away from houses, but if I do shoot within gunshot (sound, not range) I, like you make the householders aware of my intentions. As said previously by Ultrastu, the wind direction makes a terrific difference to noise travel, so should always be borne in mind.

Whilst I know that it`s not a legal requisite, I avoid shooting anywhere near public footpaths. Again I may be fortunate that the land I shoot has very few if any footpaths.

I therefore sympathise if you have had instances of a couple of call outs, so can fully appreciate your angle on this.

OB

We have only just got over the thread where the police were called and removed the guns from Pigeon shooters who were carrying out a leagal service , the guns have now been returned to the Pigeon shooters and a post mortem is in progress as to why they were called out in the first place .

Shooting near houses is like waving a Red flag in front of a Bull , kids are on holiday and on a nice day they would be playing in the gardens , if a strong wind carry the shot and fall harmlessly on a tin roof you can expect a visit from the law , winged birds is another concern , more so if one fall into a garden , the best thing the op can do is to go and put a couple of scare crows up near the damage area and hope he can divert them into a safer area where he will be drawing less attention .

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there will always people complain like village newbees and church bells, if it is land that you regular shoot get a silenced shotgun

You can buy a cheap single barrel 12 Baikal , cut the barrel if it is full choke and fit a 10 inch hushy silencer , just remember fibre wads only

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

If I’m close to housing (as in a couple of fields away), I just avoid the morning altogether. Not worth disrupting church services and people having a relaxing morning. Just my personal approach - each to their own and every situation will be slightly different. The last time I did this. I shot from 12:30 till about 7 ish and had over a hundred pigeons. If the shooting is worth while - 7 or so hours is a good outing. Good luck, hope you have a great time. 

The only time I tend to get up early is for the crows over fresh drilled crop in October .when the winter wheat goes in .then sun up is around 7 am  and I like to be in my hide .if near houses I will shoot hushpower .410 and move up a gear at 9 am to hush 20 b .

If I'm well away from houses .I may shoot 12b un modded from 7am but will still consider wind direction as this sound can travel many many miles over hill and Vale. 

I hear my nearest clay shoot on a Saturday  morning which is 3miles away  with 2 valleys and a huge hill ridge between us . - WHEN the wind is in the right direction .

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I hear my nearest clay shoot on a Saturday  morning which is 3miles away  with 2 valleys and a huge hill ridge between us . - WHEN the wind is in the right direction .

You’re lucky. 
Some Sunday mornings I can hear three clay shoots within three miles. 
It gets on my T. I. T. S. and I’m a long time shooting man.
And I’m over 70% deaf. 
No wonder the public don’t like it/complain.
I

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, London Best said:

You’re lucky. 
Some Sunday mornings I can hear three clay shoots within three miles. 
It gets on my T. I. T. S. and I’m a long time shooting man.
And I’m over 70% deaf. 
No wonder the public don’t like it/complain.
I

Why not bring a rule in where they don't start till mid day on a Sunday ,or at worse do away with Sunday shooting , we cannot go wild fowling on a Sunday and yet they can shoot Pigeons and clays all day long  ,  these complaints are here to stay and will only get worse as new houses get nearer and nearer to the clay pigeon clubs .

26 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Why not bring a rule in where they don't start till mid day on a Sunday ,or at worse do away with Sunday shooting , we cannot go wild fowling on a Sunday and yet they can shoot Pigeons and clays all day long  ,  these complaints are here to stay and will only get worse as new houses get nearer and nearer to the clay pigeon clubs .

Wrong solution.....

34 minutes ago, marsh man said:

It is a rare opportunity to say the game shooters should support the clay side. There are many arguments used on here around one voice, don't give up an inch as they'll take a mile etc.

I appreciate most work monday to friday so that only leaves the weekends. I think more evening shoots would be good but then you have the kids going to bed as an argument. There is, sadly, no good time to propose as an alternative. I am also keen not to give up sunday shooting as (I have been told more than once) it's a slippery slope downhill giving in.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

You want a rule that further restricts shooting?

Ultimately, if you give in to public demands for less shooting, they will just re-adjust their expectations so that they won't be happy with the new arrangement, and then demand even less shooting. Rinse and repeat until there's nothing left. The best approach has always been to get more people into shooting, and telling the rabid anti-gunners to take a running jump.

Edited by Smudger687
Typo

If everyone shot on a Sunday it would be wildly known that Sunday is gun day .and become accepted as it once was  .

Let's do that .

What your proposing is that I should give up my recreation time for someone else's . Why is thiers more important  ? .I doubt it is .

I accept that giving up Sunday shooting is the wrong solution and it was aimed at the clay shoots where the new builds are getting nearer and nearer to there grounds , by starting at say 12 pm I would had thought you would get less complaints and maybe one or two people who have just moved in come and have a look and could end up being new members .

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I accept that giving up Sunday shooting is the wrong solution and it was aimed at the clay shoots where the new builds are getting nearer and nearer to there grounds , by starting at say 12 pm I would had thought you would get less complaints and maybe one or two people who have just moved in come and have a look and could end up being new members .

But that interrupts my roast dinner time..... ;)

I think that is where a different lens should be put onto it. It's a new build getting closer, so people buying should be told "there is a shoot next door, you may hear lots of claps and bangs during the day most days" rather than the shoot stopping because of the houses.