Not big numbers, but still most enjoyable

Old Boggy

I had previously decided that yesterday was to be my few hours out this week having seen a field been cut on Tuesday leaving a nice wheat stubble showing a few pigeons down feeding.

The ability to drive to the hide position meant that nothing need be spared regards to equipment and no hard slog carrying gear. I was able to take my swivel chair with backrest (Commander, I think it`s called), an assortment of decoys, hide poles, nets, gun, cartridges and of course a bit of food and plenty of water. I decided to try the whirly and be prepared to replace it with a flapper if necessary. It was left out for the duration.

This is a favourite spot of mine as it has a belt of trees giving shade from what was quite a blistering sun. Being set on slightly higher ground, the breeze was filtering nicely through the trees so making my hide position one of the most comfortable I`ve had recently with a lovely view over the marshes where I could see some distant plumes of dust where the combines were getting in the last of the wheat.

No sooner had I got set up than the first pigeon arrived which was missed in classic style. There was not a massive amount of pigeons around but sufficient to keep my interest up, with most arriving from behind taking me by surprise. Needless to say, I either had a bottle of water in my hand or some grub and fumbled to get a hurried shot off, some successful, others not so.

I missed some really easy ones but was compensated by a couple of real screamers high overhead. I even managed a right and left when two offered a fairly easy left to right approach.

My few hours out ended far too soon and I could have stayed much longer in those lovely surroundings, but domestic arrangements ensured that I was back home by a certain time.

I ended my short session with 14 and one lost (9 or 10 in the photo and the rest picked afterwards). The other photo shows the great view out over the marshes taken once I had packed up. I was set up by midday and back home by 3.30, so I suppose 3 hours of shooting pleasure.

I know that it`s not a big bag in comparison to some reported on here, but in terms of sheer enjoyment this was one of the best days out for me in the last few weeks. My last trip out alongside a rape stubble (now fully greened up with volunteer rape) saw just 5 in the bag when rain stopped play and saw a very soaked-to-the-skin pigeon shooter return home early, so making yesterday`s foray an absolute joy.

Thanks for reading.

OB

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

I killed 9 the other week in a hour or so but it was a truly frustrating  shoot as my new gun wasn't fitting me properly .I missed loads more and I ended in a right huff .

By comparison  3 days later I only shot 7 pigeon  in about the same time .but I virtually hit every thing I aimed at , as I'd fixed my gun fit and I was shooting straight  .much happier  and a smaller bag total .

It's not always about numbers .

Great result, I’m not interested in shooting big numbers unless the farmer is pulling his hair out and that’s not often. I had a similar session myself yesterday. Set up on the edge of a vast area of laid wheat, sun on my face, watching birds drop in all over the field. My decoys pulled enough within range to keep me interested. Shot a dozen but only picked 5. Plenty left for another day.

Very nice Chris , I was out yesterday afternoon and it was one of the nicest days we have had for ages , a real nice Summers day , I had left my gun at home as yesterday was a gentle look around type of day , I can fully understand what you mean by shelter and views , at our age it is nice to be out in the hot weather but getting some shade from a mature tree make the heat a bit more bearable , I enjoy the uplands this time of the year but the views down the marsh land take some beating , our marshes are pretty flat and some marshes I used to go on you could see 13 Windmills on a clear day and this was over a distance of seven miles .

Today they are getting the last fields of Wheat in and it always amaze me what a combine can do in 3 or 4 cutting days , after this week we will only have a few Spring barley and wheat fields plus a few Bean fields and I would imagine it will all be over by the coming Bank Holiday :good:

GOOD LUCK if you can manage to go again .      MM

Edited by marsh man

Great post and paints a perfect picture.

Sums up my feelings of what decoying woodies is all about. It’s not about numbers but more of being out there, enjoying the day and seeing things that’s the majority of non shooters do not see.

I very rarely take a photo of the bag, good or bad but always come back with a few pics of the scene, view and an occasional video of my companion retrieving or just sitting in the hide on lookout.

My journal is full of such outings

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

Very nice Chris , I was out yesterday afternoon and it was one of the nicest days we have had for ages , a real nice Summers day , I had left my gun at home as yesterday was a gentle look around type of day , I can fully understand what you mean by shelter and views , at our age it is nice to be out in the hot weather but getting some shade from a mature tree make the heat a bit more bearable , I enjoy the uplands this time of the year but the views down the marsh land take some beating , our marshes are pretty flat and some marshes I used to go on you could see 13 Windmills on a clear day and this was over a distance of seven miles .

Today they are getting the last fields of Wheat in and it always amaze me what a combine can do in 3 or 4 cutting days , after this week we will only have a few Spring barley and wheat fields plus a few Bean fields and I would imagine it will all be over by the coming Bank Holiday :good:

GOOD LUCK if you can manage to go again .      MM

Hi John,

I had a view of one rebuilt windmill to my left but not one of your Norfolk water draining mills, this was a stock mill for grinding flour. The original one was burnt down a few years ago whilst being renovated by the ‘Windmill Preservation Society’ !!!

The wheat stubble I was on will remain for a while as it will be down for spuds next year, so I should get a few more days there.

Just the beans and maize (biofuel) to get in now.

28 minutes ago, Humblepie said:

Great post and paints a perfect picture.

Sums up my feelings of what decoying woodies is all about. It’s not about numbers but more of being out there, enjoying the day and seeing things that’s the majority of non shooters do not see.

I very rarely take a photo of the bag, good or bad but always come back with a few pics of the scene, view and an occasional video of my companion retrieving or just sitting in the hide on lookout.

My journal is full of such outings

Thanks for your comments.

I must admit I don’t normally take photos of the bag as they are never that large, but like you I take the odd shot of the views etc. I try desperately to take videos of buzzards or the odd marsh harrier but am never quick enough to get the phone into video mode. A few weeks ago I had a marsh harrier come over my head no more than 3 metres up which would have made a cracking video, but I was far too slow.

OB