I am off to protest: 20mph Wales

discobob

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s a flyover in Caernarfon where we live it says 20 mph one way and 30 mph the other way only about 400 yards long pointless .

waist of money could have gone to hospitals or air ambulance or some other need thing doctors schools ambulance service anything but that pointless 20 mph.

11 hours ago, discobob said:

Well, today I went on the Convoy between Wrexham and Bangor - travelling at 30mph. It ended up with around 300 cars. 
At the same time a convoy was going the opposite way and the same was being replicated down South Wales

And you can guess how much mainstream media coverage this has had??

Nadda!!

As you practically confirmed what a waste of time that was and a big inconvenience to all those behind them. Would you please let the organiser know that using French tactics of inconveniencing everybody that agrees with you doesn’t help the cause. Why not go and park 300 cars outside the Senedd. But then driving all the way down to South Wales at 30 or 70 mph  would be hard work and a massive inconvenience to the 300 north Wales protesters.

Must be more constructive ways.

what are they going to do next, glue themselves to the A55, let’s hope if they do, they only get hit at 20 mph😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, steve1066 said:

As you practically confirmed what a waste of time that was and a big inconvenience to all those behind them. Would you please let the organiser know that using French tactics of inconveniencing everybody that agrees with you doesn’t help the cause. Why not go and park 300 cars outside the Senedd. But then driving all the way down to South Wales at 30 or 70 mph  would be hard work and a massive inconvenience to the 300 north Wales protesters.

what are they going to do next, glue themselves to the A55, let’s hope if they do, they only get hit at 20 mph😂😂😂

Did I expect it to do anything - not really - but if you don't then nothing for certain happen. However, I do feel that this is a wake up moment for Wales along with the 450,000 signatures on a petition that the WA will ignore as well...

The Assembly is happening. As well as other protests......

59 minutes ago, steve1066 said:

It raised the protest profile as it was posted in many local papers, and national ones, it was reported on the news by MSM, so it wasn't a waste of time.
The new 20mph changes are farcical, it was very badly thought out, labour leaders in charge of it have lied using spain as an example which has been shown to be skewered by lockdown, the roll out is a disaster with varying speed limits depending on which way you are driving, roads that quite obviously should stay at 30 or 40 are now at 20 causing people to break from 60 to 20.
In my town if you come in one end the limit is now 20, if you come in the other end it is 30, this is not a good thing to have seeing as we are a ferry port with a lot of traffic passing through a few times aday.

Labour only a few weeks ago told all departments they had a 900 million shortfall, and yet have pushed ahead with this, the cost is estimated at 33 million but will probably be twice that, and the continuing loss to the welsh economy projected to be in the billions.

Under labour our health service under performs, in fact all our social services are in a poor way compared to england, this money could have paid for a lot of doctors and nurses.

But if comrade dripford says it must be so then the masses should cower and obey.
Labour should be the party of the people not the dictatorship we find ourselves in.

And we can see by the protests and the petition the labour idiots in charge of this are trying to roll back on their hard line trying to say that local authorities can change things, (knowing full well the criteria makes that difficult), the dissent against them has shaken them and they realise the people of wales can vote against them and will. 

It will not reduce emmissions.

journy times will be increased

And looking at real statistics it won't save the lives being touted by dripford and his cohorts

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Did I expect it to do anything - not really - but if you don't then nothing for certain happen. However, I do feel that this is a wake up moment for Wales along with the 450,000 signatures on a petition that the WA will ignore as well...

I don’t have an issue with your reasons, I totally accept them as I am not happy with the 20 mph either. It’s just I feel driving at 30 on a road pretty well designated as a 70 in most parts won’t bother Dripford at all. 

10 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

It raised the protest profile as it was posted in many local papers, and national ones, it was reported on the news by MSM, so it wasn't a waste of time.
The new 20mph changes are farcical, it was very badly thought out, labour leaders in charge of it have lied using spain as an example which has been shown to be skewered by lockdown, the roll out is a disaster with varying speed limits depending on which way you are driving, roads that quite obviously should stay at 30 or 40 are now at 20 causing people to break from 60 to 20.
In my town if you come in one end the limit is now 20, if you come in the other end it is 30, this is not a good thing to have seeing as we are a ferry port with a lot of traffic passing through a few times aday.

Labour only a few weeks ago told all departments they had a 900 million shortfall, and yet have pushed ahead with this, the cost is estimated at 33 million but will probably be twice that, and the continuing loss to the welsh economy projected to be in the billions.

Under labour our health service under performs, in fact all our social services are in a poor way compared to england, this money could have paid for a lot of doctors and nurses.

But if comrade dripford says it must be so then the masses should cower and obey.
Labour should be the party of the people not the dictatorship we find ourselves in.

And we can see by the protests and the petition the labour idiots in charge of this are trying to roll back on their hard line trying to say that local authorities can change things, (knowing full well the criteria makes that difficult), the dissent against them has shaken them and they realise the people of wales can vote against them and will. 

It will not reduce emmissions.

journy times will be increased

And looking at real statistics it won't save the lives being touted by dripford and his cohorts

Totally agree with you bud.

Out of 70,000 people living in North wales only 300 turned up. Sounds if more people in the South were more aware than those in the North.

What did your local highways dept say when you questioned the 20 one way and 30 the other.

19 minutes ago, steve1066 said:

Out of 70,000 people living in North wales only 300 turned up

Short notice - lot of people work Saturdays in the North - never saw any signs of any other (non-convoy) drivers getting peeved off - lot of support along the way from the side and on bridges....

Some cars had a number of passengers in - I didn't - my wife was working....

Hats off to you for actually doing something about it. I'm afraid I'm guilty of being in the this is totally wrong but too busy brigade. If everyone was more like you, this country would be alot better 👏👏👏

52 minutes ago, amateur said:

But will the majority of the Welsh change their vote, and will the minority of the English change their's when they see the negative effects of a Labour administration?

No.

But then I believe we all need to change our vote, neither labour or the cons have the answer. No current major party stands for the average working/ex working person, we need to change that or accept labour and Conservatives alike will do nothing for the majority of the UK population. Labour will help benifts cheats, lazy and migrants, the torys will help the rich and themselves.

Edited by 12gauge82

Short notice - lot of people work Saturdays in the North - never saw any signs of any other (non-convoy) drivers getting peeved off - lot of support along the way from the side and on bridges....

Some cars had a number of passengers in - I didn't - my wife was working....

Well I was on the opposite side of the road when I passed the demonstration, and from where I was sat I think part of your 300 cars consisted of a majority of vehicles trying to get into North Wales for a day out and to boost the tourist economy.

I think if the other cars had realised what was causing the back up then you may have had a few horns and fingers in frustration.

Don’t get me wrong Discobob, it is commendable that you put your money where your mouth is. Just think personally it’s the wrong thing to do and all ready forgotten.

I mentioned to my wife yesterday that the 20 mph is a inconvenience but what if one of my family have their life saved because of it, would I be still be as critical and was I being selfish signing the on_line petition.

2 hours ago, steve1066 said:

Totally agree with you bud.

Out of 70,000 people living in North wales only 300 turned up. Sounds if more people in the South were more aware than those in the North.

What did your local highways dept say when you questioned the 20 one way and 30 the other.

So far despite a local community member telling me he would take it up nothing has happened , the same as this being reported ,placing new signs so they can be seen, a week ago the council were told.(there are two 20mph signs there)

PXL_20230924_161801077.jpg

59 minutes ago, steve1066 said:

Well I was on the opposite side of the road when I passed the demonstration, and from where I was sat I think part of your 300 cars consisted of a majority of vehicles trying to get into North Wales for a day out and to boost the tourist economy.

I think if the other cars had realised what was causing the back up then you may have had a few horns and fingers in frustration.

Don’t get me wrong Discobob, it is commendable that you put your money where your mouth is. Just think personally it’s the wrong thing to do and all ready forgotten.

I mentioned to my wife yesterday that the 20 mph is a inconvenience but what if one of my family have their life saved because of it, would I be still be as critical and was I being selfish signing the on_line petition.

Well, one of the guys I was waiting with to join the convoy had become a new dad the week before. He got a phone call to tell him his wife was going to have an emergency caesarean (live and death type of thing) and he was at work at Flint - he had a hell of a job dealing with 20, and it took him much longer to get to the hospital... Thankfully they both came through......

Or the guy who said he would rather be hit at 30 as more chance of dying quickly unlike his Dad who was hit and trapped by a car going slowly and trapped and crushed and he watched him die from the injuries over the next few days - that is as such word of mouth - might not be true but it is plausible.

What if one of yours lost their life because of it? An ambulance takes too long (but yep this is Wales so that is a norm) or it takes longer to get to hospital. If you and yours know the green cross code your safety levels will improve dramatically.

What about the parking around schools - our previous councillor (independent) was trying for years to get yellow lines put on the main road (that services 3 schools) via a TRO and got nowhere - then he lost his seat to labour (funny we have a labour council as well) and she doesn't give two hoots about it.

What about our lane which is a public footpath, shared surface, single width and a safer route for schools (the lane was tarmac'd under this 3.5 years ago) and we now have vehicles flying up it at up to 60 mph - and there are entries and side roads with poor vision and a kid could come running out. Despite numerous complaints they have done jack on it - in fact I wrote and told them prior to the work commencing but they ignored it.

Deaths in Wales have plummeted on the roads over recent years - with a lot of them being on a Sunday afternoon and concern two wheels and an engine between the legs.

As I have said recently, the places where you need to do 20 are usually the places where at that time you can't do 20 so it is self regulating