Red696

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Westley said:

My clay shooting guns only have the safety on when i clean them, the safety then goes OFF,  before the gun is put in the cabinet. My game guns have auto safety catches because it is part of my gun mounting to be pushing the safety OFF as the gun is mounted. As Scully says, very few shooters of either clays or game, display correct safety when removing a gun from its slip.

May I ask why you put the safety off when putting your clay guns back in the cabinet after cleaning or have I misunderstood exactly what you mean.

OB

1 minute ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Nothing wrong with an auto safety if you have a good memory to use it every time,I sometimes use a side by side gun on clays and soon get the safety catch habit.Many years ago I used a Miroku game gun while shooting in the Wales Sporting and Skeet teams,no problem at all.

Exactly!

If you all learnt to shoot properly then the safety catch is part of your gun mount.

On most O/U's I have come across ,and thats a lot , the safe holds the inertia block back so it does not engage the hammers . Very few block the triggers as well or instead .

There are a number of ways the safe is pushed back  . I cant remember how the Laurona operates . Many guns will need some amount of stripping down to remove the push rod or activating mechanism , so its not always a simple matter of taking the stock off and pulling a bit off .

Jesus, some holier than thou attitudes by members who should (but probably don't while casting the illusion that they do) know better... 

OP wanted to know how to disable an auto safety and not a berating in the non use of a safety catch. 

IMO a gun is either broken or dangerous. There is no in-between, safety catch included. 

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

May I ask why you put the safety off when putting your clay guns back in the cabinet after cleaning or have I misunderstood exactly what you mean.

OB

No you haven't.  Many years ago when I was shooting Competitions,  I was on my way to a DTL comp at Llandegla.  I had left early enough to be there on time but got delayed by traffic on route. I arrived at the ground with about 10 minutes to spare before my time to shoot. Peg 1 I'm first to shoot , close gun called 'PULL'  .....nothing. The safety catch was on which was a lost target   !

It has NEVER happened again  ! Why do I need the safety on, when the gun is in the cabinet  ?  I also check it is OFF before I slip the gun to take it out.

On 02/10/2023 at 10:51, Red696 said:

Had my first clay lesson yesterday and one of the first recommendations from the instructor was to look at disabling the auto safety on my gun.

Does anyone have knowledge of how to do this on a Laurona?  

I have to admit to hating auto safety’s on my air guns and it is something I disable on purchase as a personal preference.  I’m hoping this does not descend into a for and against thread.

If you are mechanically minded I would think by stripping the gun from the stock and then moving the top lever across a few times you could see what is pushing the safety on, then its a case of working out how easy/difficult it is to remove it, don’t know the working of your Laurona but would think its a push-rod.

You could remove the stock and put up a few pictures, someone may have the answer/know-how.

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Exactly!

If you all learnt to shoot properly then the safety catch is part of your gun mount.

I’m not referring to how easy or difficult it is to slip off a safety catch, so I fail to see what relevance the ‘if you all learnt to shoot properly’ comment has. 
I’m referring to what purpose an auto safety has; what is it for and why do some folk think they are necessary? Anyone? 

Edited by Scully

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I’m not referring to how easy or difficult it is to slip off a safety catch, so I fail to see what relevance the ‘if you all learnt to shoot properly’ comment has. 
I’m referring to what purpose an auto safety has; what is it for and why do some folk think they are necessary? Anyone? 

Belt and braces.

I have never suggested (or even dreamt) that anyone should rely on such a device, even with intercepting sears. 

Today, if someone goes to a clay ground for lessons they are not taught to shoot. They are taught to hit a clay pigeon. Ignore the safety catch, it is not necessary. Mount the gun. Point it at the spot where the target will appear. 
Fire the gun and break the target. Anyone who does that and thinks they have been taught to shoot is seriously deluded.

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

Belt and braces.

I have never suggested (or even dreamt) that anyone should rely on such a device, even with intercepting sears. 

Today, if someone goes to a clay ground for lessons they are not taught to shoot. They are taught to hit a clay pigeon. Ignore the safety catch, it is not necessary. Mount the gun. Point it at the spot where the target will appear. 
Fire the gun and break the target. Anyone who does that and thinks they have been taught to shoot is seriously deluded.

That’s not an answer! Belt and braces against what? 🤷‍♂️
What is the purpose of a safety on a shotgun? 
If you don’t believe anyone should rely on such a device then why are you defending the use of one? 

You’re wrong about clay grounds and learning to shoot; any coach worthy of the name includes safe handling of a gun as well as a myriad of other information, which ultimately gives them the best chance of hitting the target. 
As most guns are made with an auto safe anyhow, instruction HAS to include the use of one; as annoying as that is, it just has to. 
How are those who don’t shoot clays taught to shoot? What are they taught that clay shooters aren’t? 

I'm with Scully on this. I don't see the point of auto safety. If people want to use the safety facility, they could just put the safety on before loading and push it off before firing. It just seems unnecessary.

The first thing I told my lads and grandson, when taking them shooting for the first time was about the dangers of a loaded gun. Only load it when you are in an appropriate place - i.e. clay shooting cage. Assume it can go off at any time and make sure you are pointing it where it will do no harm, in the event it did go off.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Belt and braces.

hahaha…. I must have imagined the first hour of the lesson which was on nothing but gun safety, not a cartridge or clay in sight.  The following 3 hours were all about reinforcing that safety, or did I imagine that as well?

2 hours ago, old'un said:

If you are mechanically minded I would think by stripping the gun from the stock and then moving the top lever across a few times you could see what is pushing the safety on, then its a case of working out how easy/difficult it is to remove it, don’t know the working of your Laurona but would think its a push-rod.

You could remove the stock and put up a few pictures, someone may have the answer/know-how.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve contacted a Gunsmith today and the set up on these means it is a little more involved and once done not reversible.  Think I’ll stick with it as it is and if I continue at the sport I’ll be upgrading to a non auto safety gun.

Just shoot with whatever suits you auto or non auto it's down to your personal preference nowt to do with anyone else. My own preference is auto safe and regadless if I shoot non auto or auto. the safety catch only ever goes off just before I shoot and always put back on even if I didn't fire the gun.

16 minutes ago, B725 said:

Just shoot with whatever suits you auto or non auto it's down to your personal preference nowt to do with anyone else. My own preference is auto safe and regadless if I shoot non auto or auto. the safety catch only ever goes off just before I shoot and always put back on even if I didn't fire the gun.

This. 
Except that I never see anyone with a non auto-safety ever touch it!

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

This. 
Except that I never see anyone with a non auto-safety ever touch it!

Well you say that, or rather ‘this’, but still haven’t explained why you’re such an advocate of auto safeties given that you state no one should rely on such a device! 
Nor have you explained what purpose it serves, nor what the difference is regarding the methods of learning to shoot between clay shooters and game shooters. Do you know? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

It does, and equally makes no sense. It still doesn’t answer what purpose the safety on a shotgun serves! 🤷‍♂️

Stop being so awkward! 
It is obvious that an auto safety provides an extra level of safety that a manual safe simply does not have. 
The link provided by B725 explains it very well.

Edited by London Best

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Stop being so awkward! 
It is obvious that an auto safety provides an extra level of safety that a manual safe simply does not have. 

It offers an opinion BUT doesn’t answer my question.  
Your efforts to hijack my thread have been less than helpful in solving the initial query, how about you starting a thread of your own on the pros and cons of auto safety and leave this one in the hope I may get some help.

On 02/10/2023 at 10:51, Red696 said:

Had my first clay lesson yesterday and one of the first recommendations from the instructor was to look at disabling the auto safety on my gun.

Does anyone have knowledge of how to do this on a Laurona?  

I have to admit to hating auto safety’s on my air guns and it is something I disable on purchase as a personal preference.  I’m hoping this does not descend into a for and against thread.

Trying to get this thread back on track.

I've no personal experience of Laurona, however I always remove auto safety on all my guns.

First I remove the butt and work out how everything works.

Sometimes it's a simple rod that just pulls out, nothing to replace and job done. Other times it's a complete strip down and requires a roll pin replacing, you can buy a box of differant sizes cheap enough.

On my current gun, there's a piece looks like a hockey stick, if removed it needs a spacer or the safety catch rattles. Easier to just nip the end off and file smooth.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Stop being so awkward! 

It’s only awkward if you can’t answer the questions. 
I look forward to seeing your thread as the OP suggests, on the advantage of auto safeties over manual, or indeed even the advantages of a safety on a shotgun, where we can then discuss the clutching at straws rubbish ( let’s face it, he ain’t going to be saying the opposite is he……more than his jobs worth! ) posted by the shooting instructor in the link provided by B725. 

7 hours ago, Red696 said:

It offers an opinion BUT doesn’t answer my question.  
Your efforts to hijack my thread have been less than helpful in solving the initial query, how about you starting a thread of your own on the pros and cons of auto safety and leave this one in the hope I may get some help.

I must apologise for diverting your original query. Non-auto safeties on shotguns are one of my pet hates, particularly in the field. 
I think I have said enough on the subject. We will all have to agree or disagree, but my opinion will not change. The instructor who told you early in your first lesson to look at disabling your auto-safe is an idiot.

28 minutes ago, London Best said:

The instructor who told you early in your first lesson to look at disabling your auto-safe is an idiot.

You can’t make a statement like that without backing it up! Explain why he’s an idiot, otherwise it’s just an opinion borne out of either ignorance, arrogance or snobbery. 

57 minutes ago, Scully said:

You can’t make a statement like that without backing it up! Explain why he’s an idiot, otherwise it’s just an opinion borne out of either ignorance, arrogance or snobbery. 

It’s just an opinion gained through over 60 years of shooting shotguns in a wide variety of situations. I object to you calling it ignorance, arrogance or particularly snobbery.