Gun Safe/Cabinet Heater?

CaptC

I'm sure this has been discussed before so apologies if so - Checking my guns this morning I do a "weapons check" every week, stocks waxed, barrels checked etc. This morning three of my shotguns had mold on the woodwork which was alarming!

My gun safe is a Brattonsound jobbie, my questions are  - Would drilling a singular 5-6 mm hole in the base effect the security re FEO and would a low wattage heater (30 cms long) be safe to use?

I already have a tubular heater in my "gun room" but its obvioulsy not doing the job. 

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, snow white said:

Why would drilling a small hole effect security my cabinet is on its back and there are four 10 mill holes in mine so why would it affect security i put a charging lead mine for topping up night vision scope save leaving gun out when charging 

Good point! Thank you.

on both my cabinates ...old pistol cabinate and shotgun cabinate ...i made a plywood box the same cross section as the boxes ...mounted them directly under the cabiniates...and mounted a 40 watt bulb in each wood cabinate...i had a timer for the lecky supply hour on hour off...then drilled air hles in the top of the steel cabinates....

it worked very well ..the cartridges were always bone dry and the guns nice and snug

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

on both my cabinates ...old pistol cabinate and shotgun cabinate ...i made a plywood box the same cross section as the boxes ...mounted them directly under the cabiniates...and mounted a 40 watt bulb in each wood cabinate...i had a timer for the lecky supply hour on hour off...then drilled air hles in the top of the steel cabinates....

it worked very well ..the cartridges were always bone dry and the guns nice and snug

Now that's a good idea!

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

How do the guns sleep with the lights on? Seriously it is a good idea!

@CaptC

Lights, thermostat cupboard heaters and humidity monitors in each cabinet and all lined in reflecting insulation to make it bright and warm. Put in a step to raise the guns to accommodate the heater and create an area for mods and bolts.
Never had any problems, easy to do and keeps everything perfect

Simple cable hole in the side against the wall

BA79AB4C-8E5B-49FF-AEA9-096BC891238A.jpeg

C97A127B-540E-4F9C-AA69-FA2F5FB3134E.jpeg

Edited by Goldfish

3 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

@CaptC

Lights, thermostat cupboard heaters and humidity monitors in each cabinet and all lined in reflecting insulation to make it bright and warm. Put in a step to raise the guns to accommodate the heater and create an area for mods and bolts.
Never had any problems, easy to do and keeps everything perfect

Simple cable hole in the side against the wall

BA79AB4C-8E5B-49FF-AEA9-096BC891238A.jpeg

C97A127B-540E-4F9C-AA69-FA2F5FB3134E.jpeg

Very impressive! Thanks. 
Some research to do!

If you do not already have them, consider buying the silicone impregnated socks for each gun. They also protect the gun from minor cupboard knocks.  I occasionally spray the guns woodwork with 'Wood Silk' wax furniture polish, especially if rain is forecast for the shoot day. Cheap enough and works well. No slip but water bounces off and it stops the oil finish from turning white.

Another vote for socks, I picked up a load from JSRamsbottom, currently £3.19 each. They easily go on shotguns and with a bit of care over scoped rifles.

I also live in the wet west and I'm not sure just heat alone will solve your problem as it's currently rather warm for the time of year just very damp and humid.

6 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Another vote for socks, I picked up a load from JSRamsbottom, currently £3.19 each. They easily go on shotguns and with a bit of care over scoped rifles.

I also live in the wet west and I'm not sure just heat alone will solve your problem as it's currently rather warm for the time of year just very damp and humid.

That’s very true, even with a gentle heat from tubular heater two leather cartridge bags have gone green. 

51 minutes ago, Westley said:

If you do not already have them, consider buying the silicone impregnated socks for each gun. They also protect the gun from minor cupboard knocks.  I occasionally spray the guns woodwork with 'Wood Silk' wax furniture polish, especially if rain is forecast for the shoot day. Cheap enough and works well. No slip but water bounces off and it stops the oil finish from turning white.

I use Napier Stock Treatment on my stocks which holds the rain off unless it’s biblical rain. 
Gun socks will be looked at later!