Spare wheel/tyre

welshwarrior

So my car now doesn’t come with a spare wheel I’m not to keen on the skinny space saver, so I was going to buy another alloy and have a tyre fitted, but then I started thing (dangerous) my Q7 had a collapsing tyre that took up less space so I could store more junk around it.   

So the question can you fit a collapsing tyre to a normal alloy? 

On 08/10/2023 at 16:26, welshwarrior said:

So my car now doesn’t come with a spare wheel I’m not to keen on the skinny space saver, so I was going to buy another alloy and have a tyre fitted, but then I started thing (dangerous) my Q7 had a collapsing tyre that took up less space so I could store more junk around it.   

So the question can you fit a collapsing tyre to a normal alloy? 

Can't help you on your question W W, but would you have enough room in your motor to store a full size spare wheel ? , I have just bought a Vauxhall Mokka with no spare wheel , so I bought a new space saver and even that won't go in the recess where a spare wheel is housed , so I have now got a spare wheel but it is left in my garage , as I now stay fairly local I am not over botherd and hopefully the kit provided will either get me home or to a garage to have a new tyre fitted :hmm:

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Can't help you on your question W W, but would you have enough room in your motor to store a full size spare wheel ? , I have just bought a Vauxhall Mokka with no spare wheel , so I bought a new space saver and even that won't go in the recess where a spare wheel is housed , so I have now got a spare wheel but it is left in my garage , as I now stay fairly local I am not over botherd and hopefully the kit provided will either get me home or to a garage to have a new tyre fitted :hmm:

Yes it’s an optional extra to have either a full size spare, space saver or a foam can and storage area. 

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Wow , THANKS for the update , just go to show how much I am out of touch with todays modern motoring.   Good luck with finding what you require .   MM    

I think it’s more to do with Subaru’s view on what the outback could be used for and the different markets across the world. 

When I had my Rav4 which did not have a spare wheel I carried one of these. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/wlw-XtremeAuto-TRIKE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR/dp/B07FW34M8Z/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=tyre%2Brepair%2Bkit&qid=1697310309&sr=8-17&th=1

Just plug the hole if that's all that caused the puncture and inflate it with the electric pump.

They worked well on my son's motorbike when he picked up a nail in the tyre, we used three CO2 bulbs to inflate it untill we found a garage.

Edited by BlaserF3
spelling

I've mentioned before that I was a AA Patrol for 40 years retiring in 2018.

Alloy wheels stuck to steel hubs is a huge  problem, but so easily prevented. All it takes is a film of copper grease on the mating surfaces.

VAG vehicles are renowned for it as they are not made like that in the factory. "We" had and probably still have the VAG contract to provide a breakdown service as part of the warranty. Every job gets a feedback from the attending guy back to the manufacturer. I included in my feedback the question " why include wheel changing kit in the car when you can't be bothered to grease the hubs so the driver can change a wheel using the provided kit?" I got a call from the VW/AA account manager asking what I was doing. I told him I was explaining the shortcomings of their factory process, of a so called upmarket brand.

He was an ex Patrol so knew what I meant.

Did he pass it on to the factory, I never found out.

And don't get me started on the cars that have no spare wheel.

Potholes, kerbs, worn suspension .

I can fit your spare wheel if you have one . If you don't you may go on a truck and because your tyres are an odd size and are on 3 day delivery from Holland you are stuck without your car for the sake of a lack of a spare

Had plenty of four year old cars that had full service history that must have not had wheels removed .( I think  main dealers just used inspection slots in back plates and visual inspection thru wheel spokes to check brakes) When I serviced vehicles it was all wheel and drums plus pads removed and cleaned . Sometimes had to tell owners that we had to take up to an hour to remove wheels .

Got to a point that I warned the customer about the problem before the booking the the car in, to avoid nasty situations when it came to paying the bill I would call them to give them the chance to come to the garage inspect the job  themselves. To be honest one of reasons I sold up . 

It has to be remembered that a space saver is not a spare wheel . It is an emergency wheel only. Even if it is supplied by the manufacturer it is stlii illegal to drive a car on the road with different size wheels or tyres. 

Despite the fact that we often see cars driving round with them on

its a tricky issue

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It has to be remembered that a space saver is not a spare wheel . It is an emergency wheel only. Even if it is supplied by the manufacturer it is stlii illegal to drive a car on the road with different size wheels or tyres. 

Despite the fact that we often see cars driving round with them on

its a tricky issue

Your not quite correct with saying it is illegal to drive a car on the road with different size wheels and tyres as a lot of sports cars come with different sizes on the front and rear.

18 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

Your not quite correct with saying it is illegal to drive a car on the road with different size wheels and tyres as a lot of sports cars come with different sizes on the front and rear.

Yes I should have said on the same axle. 

The other thing is that some of the space saver tyres look like the could possibly be crossply because they are so rigid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2023 at 18:54, Weihrauch17 said:

I have a Forester with a space saver tyre, it did it's job when needed.  The cans are an absolute joke, my in laws had a flat on their Corsa and the tin of foam did zilch..

Have heard but not confirmed, the use of some squirty sealant writes the tyre off as it can't be removed to repair tyre correctly?

10 hours ago, old man said:

Have heard but not confirmed, the use of some squirty sealant writes the tyre off as it can't be removed to repair tyre correctly?

Absolutely correct.

And if the leak is to the sidewall the squirty stuff won't work 

Something you could try, and sometimes works is mitre glue.  It's a cyanoacrylate type of stuff, stick the edges of the split sidewall together then spray it with the stuff that comes with the glue. Totally illegal method of tyre repair but needs must etc etc

My S in L had a Mitsubishi 4 x 4 with no spare. He had a blow out on the M62. He stood in pouring rain and a howling gale on the motorway embankment for over 2 hours. Breakdown vehicle took him and the vehicle home, then he had a mobile tyre fitter out to replace the tyre. He now has a Jag 4 x 4,  which just happens to have no spare either  !

Some people NEVER learn  !  🙄