Short range foxing

BruceA

I have a couple of fairly small perms for foxes. At the mo, all I have is .22LR and 17 HMR. I'm aware that neither is ideal so would like to go for something more capable of a reliable clean kill. The HMR certainly does the job at the ranges I'm shooting at but I'm aware that V-Max rounds have their limitations if they hit a big chunk of bone or if the placement isn't perfect.

I don't need long range as alomost all are within 100 yards but I do want to minimise ricochet and the risk of just injuring them.  I think a .223 might be a bit too much for the land I'm on and I hear they are pretty noisy which is a consideration as both perms have horses. That said, the HMR doesn't seem to spook them too much.

Suggestions? Thoughts on 17 Hornet?

12 minutes ago, BruceA said:

I have a couple of fairly small perms for foxes. At the mo, all I have is .22LR and 17 HMR. I'm aware that neither is ideal so would like to go for something more capable of a reliable clean kill. The HMR certainly does the job at the ranges I'm shooting at but I'm aware that V-Max rounds have their limitations if they hit a big chunk of bone or if the placement isn't perfect.

I don't need long range as alomost all are within 100 yards but I do want to minimise ricochet and the risk of just injuring them.  I think a .223 might be a bit too much for the land I'm on and I hear they are pretty noisy which is a consideration as both perms have horses. That said, the HMR doesn't seem to spook them too much.

Suggestions? Thoughts on 17 Hornet?

I sold an HMR and bought a 17 Hornet for exactly the reasons you describe (I also own a 204), they are perfect for the job.  I use mine on 8 acres bordered by housing on one side and have never had a complaint.  Put a Wildcat Panther on them and they are no more noisy than an HMR.  They kill Foxes just fine @100 yards or less, never shot one at a longer range with it.

The HMR is good enough for the job at 100yrds, you could use the hollow point rounds if you can get them, 20gn I think and try them against the ballistic tipped 17gn. I got the .223 with a wildcat moderator and it is a bit louder than the 17HMR but never had a complaint or heard other animals spooked at night with it. I use it on areas where I have shots out to 800yrds (not that I go beyond 250yrds, run out of talent quickly at that point).

• 2 weeks later...

HMR or the .22lr is good for fox. I shoot fox from my kitchen using the hmr and have no concerns whatsoever of it not doing a decent job. If I am shooting rabbits I will take the hmr and happily take a fox to 100m. 

I suspect that the reason they are not 'considered by some' as a go to fox round is that when you go after fox the ranges can easily open upto 200m +.

If I go foxing i will take the .223. 

34 minutes ago, oowee said:

HMR or the .22lr is good for fox. I shoot fox from my kitchen using the hmr and have no concerns whatsoever of it not doing a decent job. If I am shooting rabbits I will take the hmr and happily take a fox to 100m. 

I suspect that the reason they are not 'considered by some' as a go to fox round is that when you go after fox the ranges can easily open upto 200m +.

If I go foxing i will take the .223. 

Consider a .22 Hornet. A good hard hitting humane caliber and very effective out to 150 yards. 

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Consider a .22 Hornet. A good hard hitting humane caliber and very effective out to 150 yards. 

I am sure these hornets are good. It seems to me though that you want to minimise cartridges and rifles to an effective working range. Starting with a rimfire for rabbits where you can buy lots of ammo for not so much. These will work for the occasional fox at sensible range. After that you need a centrefire that will do all the vermin (depending where you live so not just fox) and that needs to be bigger than .22 so a .222 or .223 on a dedicated night use rifle. You bypass this vermin round all together and use a deer calibre. The issue here though is swapping sights from NV to scope as well as the increased weight, cost and noise.

• 1 month later...

i use a 17Hornet  for some of my foxing and shot fox out to 200 mtrs np if you look on other pest control How many foxes you will see my hornet  on the pics i also use my 223 for longer shots all the foxes i shot with the hornet no matter what range you barley get a through and through with that round       i use home loads for it  

Edited by Rim Fire

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Scully said:

This. A very much under-rated round. 

I tested a 17 HMR zero’d at 150 yards and found the little round ‘wondered’ a little in strong crosswinds ( very common on my perms) , the WMR was much more consistent.   My findings only , i’m still an HMR fan . 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, scobydog said:

22 Hornet, great to 150yds and further if you want to on foxes, cheap enough to feed with factory and superb home loaded with lil gun and 35 gr v max.

S

Unless you've already been there and for various reasons the 35gr V Max comes out on top for you, you could have a look at the Hodgdon Reloading Centre and H110 in particular. Alternatively, keep the L'ilGun and have a look at Hornady 40gr V max. Just a thought unless, as said, you've already done so.  

32 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Hi wymberley,

The 35's came with the Hornet i purchased, CZ527, since then i've used ppu factory as it is great with them, sub moa @ 100 and good to much further, very under rated little calibre. 

s

Yep, but not always so little. Between 15 and 200 yards mine has a one MoA PBR and 2770 ft/sec, 852 ftlbs at the muzzle with a 50 gr bullet over 12.6 gr of L'ilGun. It must be said that the chamber length is good, there's no magazine to consider, the barrel is 26" and the twist rate is not the usual 16 but is 14". This is enough for me in the dark.