Windy Dog

Oldgun

Wonder if anyone has had the same problem,i an feeding my 17month old black Lab Harringtons turkey and rice

and he loves it,but he suffers from wind,not pleasant when having a glass of wine in the evening.We tried Lovejoys

early on but decided that it was to rich so giving the new recipe Wag a try gradually including it in his food,it's

supposed to be wheat free if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated

ATB Oldgun

1 hour ago, Oldgun said:

Wonder if anyone has had the same problem,i an feeding my 17month old black Lab Harringtons turkey and rice

and he loves it,but he suffers from wind,not pleasant when having a glass of wine in the evening.We tried Lovejoys

early on but decided that it was to rich so giving the new recipe Wag a try gradually including it in his food,it's

ATB Oldgun

Tell the dog to lay off the wine...plays havoc with the guts

On 28/10/2023 at 16:17, Oldgun said:

ATB Oldgun

I wouldn't concern myself too much on the brand of food but after having some food issues with my now 2yr old lab when she was younger I've taken her away from poultry based food. According to my vet they have seen an upsurge in dogs being sensitive to poultry based foods. He recommended that I go for something with either a beef, lamb or fish based content....with lamb or fish being best in their opinion.

Also make sure the dog isn't getting more protein than it needs. If you have ever been around fitness people gorging on protein powders you will know why, their farting just isn't ordinary.

The food I've settled on for my lab is Dr Jaynes. Either the grass fed beef or the free run lamb flavour. It's what works for my dogs without running the guts out of them but everyone will have their own opinions on foods. 

19 hours ago, Rob85 said:

The food I've settled on for my lab is Dr Jaynes. Either the grass fed beef or the free run lamb flavour. It's what works for my dogs without running the guts out of them but everyone will have their own opinions on foods. 

I personally wouldn't touch a food like that and wouldn't consider it a suitable feed. It is basically cereals with 4% animal derivatives, part of which is likely undigestable junk.

14 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

CSJ Command Performance CP21 if he is active (working 3 days a week), CP18 if he is not.

https://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=45&idcategory=5

I used CSJ tripe which was good for mine with a sensitive stomach, have switched over the CSJ senior / lite as slightly lower calories as out of season they aren’t getting much work and the wife likes to give them a big heap of food despite being told they don’t need it. 

Now she can give them a big feed and they don’t gain lots of weight. 

I’ve got a higher cal CSJ food I mix in come the season when they’re working lots and need more energy. 

On 28/10/2023 at 16:17, Oldgun said:

ATB Oldgun

My new GSD had this problem. It wasn't the diet causing the wind, but the fact she eats her food so fast.

I got her an anti gulping bowl to slow her down and the flatulance problem cleared.

On 01/11/2023 at 07:58, Lloyd90 said:

I used CSJ tripe which was good for mine with a sensitive stomach, have switched over the CSJ senior / lite as slightly lower calories as out of season they aren’t getting much work and the wife likes to give them a big heap of food despite being told they don’t need it. 

Now she can give them a big feed and they don’t gain lots of weight. 

I’ve got a higher cal CSJ food I mix in come the season when they’re working lots and need more energy. 

Just ordered a bag of the Tripe as it doesn't contaim chicken fat and chicken fat plays havoc with my boy's Springer - causes him to pebble dash a large area 😱. Cheaper than Burns lamb and rice as well

My Springer (9) has had runny stools since a pup and ,you name it, we tried it. When trying Forthglade ,however, the exact oposite happened and constipatin set in within 2 days. Finally found the solution by using 1/2 Forthglade and half whichever quality food is on offer when ordering, works a treat.