nasty gun shop owners

dessyb

yesterday i went to a notts/east mid.gun shop that advertises we buy all guns  to be told by the nasty est bloke imaginable that we dont pay for guns  any more because the police have made it so hard for you to renew your licence we get there guns for nowt[ forgot this bit he spouted as i was leaving we get them cheap  and we sell them  cheap all over the world we cannot get enough]

Edited by dessyb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, dessyb said:

yesterday i went to a notts/east mid.gun shop that advertises we buy all guns  to be told by the nasty est bloke imaginable that we dont pay for guns  any more because the police have made it so hard for you to renew your licence we get there guns for nowt[ forgot this bit he spouted as i was leaving we get them cheap  and we sell them  cheap all over the world we cannot get enough]

Alfreton gun shop maybe?

Sounds like a proper  ******* .yes times are tough but good manners cost nothing. I wanted to look at a gun in a shop over that way,it was a £4k gun.i wanted to see both sides of the stock,to ensure that it wasn't plain as a plank on one side.

The shop owners response was,"it's hung up and I'd have to get it down off the wall". I couldn't believe the response and bought from somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Sounds like a proper *******.yes times are tough but good manners cost nothing. I wanted to look at a gun in a shop over that way,it was a £4k gun.i wanted to see both sides of the stock,to ensure that it wasn't plain as a plank on one side.

The shop owners response was,"it's hung up and I'd have to get it down off the wall". I couldn't believe the response and bought from somewhere else.

Taking your business elsewhere is the best option.  :good:

1 hour ago, dessyb said:

🤔

I had a similar experience recently. 

I'll never go again. 

Would it have a clay ground attached to it ???

hello, sounds like a gun shop to avoid 🤔, how do they get guns free if the owners SGC renewal is declined, i have just put in for renewal and going to give up FAC, i would rather give my rife and shotgun away to a new shooter than to a gun shop like that, my CZ 455 is going to the son of my friends farm family i have known since he was born, now around late 20s and so will the 12 B O/U 

I am no doubt well out of touch with how gun shops treat there customers nowadays and for a good part of my life I have only used one and that was Richardsons of Halesworth , I have bought cartridges from others like Churchills at Dereham and Websters , Richardsons must be one of the best , if not the best in the country for treating there customers with respect , I have been in there and been offered a cup of tea or coffee , had a yarn with the two brothers for ages before they asked me what I wanted and they once put a new top lever spring in one of my guns for nothing as they waited a long while for the part , both of them and one of the sons who work in the shop are true gentlemen and by the sound of it they are a declining race .  MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I am no doubt well out of touch with how gun shops treat there customers nowadays and for a good part of my life I have only used one and that was Richardsons of Halesworth , I have bought cartridges from others like Churchills at Dereham and Websters , Richardsons must be one of the best , if not the best in the country for treating there customers with respect , I have been in there and been offered a cup of tea or coffee , had a yarn with the two brothers for ages before they asked me what I wanted and they once put a new top lever spring in one of my guns for nothing as they waited a long while for the part , both of them and one of the sons who work in the shop are true gentlemen and by the sound of it they are a declining race .  MM

only dealth with three gunsmiths in my life 

Gallyons.(richard)

Frank at Darlows..(right back to when frank was an apprentice in the big shop on the couner)

and leon  Richardsons.....the only place you could have a conversation with 3 people at the same time...and left the shop with stuff you didnt need and your brain totally ******

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

only dealth with three gunsmiths in my life 

Gallyons.(richard)

Frank at Darlows..(right back to when frank was an apprentice in the big shop on the couner)

and leon  Richardsons.....the only place you could have a conversation with 3 people at the same time...and left the shop with stuff you didnt need and your brain totally ******

I go along with that , bought my first gun from Darlows in Norwich in 62  and I still look at the stone Stag above the door when I walk past , Gallyons was a bit upmarket for the likes of me and didn't use them that often , as for Richardsons , to be honest it is a bit chaotic at times with bits of guns laying all over the place , trouble is if they tidied it up they would never be able to find anything , like us they will soon be hanging up the tools of the trade and another ole fashion gun shop will be packed away in the history books    MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I go along with that , bought my first gun from Darlows in Norwich in 62  and I still look at the stone Stag above the door when I walk past , Gallyons was a bit upmarket for the likes of me and didn't use them that often , as for Richardsons , to be honest it is a bit chaotic at times with bits of guns laying all over the place , trouble is if they tidied it up they would never be able to find anything , like us they will soon be hanging up the tools of the trade and another ole fashion gun shop will be packed away in the history books    MM

Gallyons did have the reputation of cut above the rest....i knew Richard when his dad had the Kings lynn shop where he was apprentice...and at that time they had the title as Queens gunmaker...

i still bought stuff of him whe he lived in Hingham....very good value for money...you were shown into his front room ..sat infront of his desk plied with coffee/drink...mobbed by sprocker spaniels on yer lap.........and a good jaw.....richard was and is a good old country boy...

I have come across this quite a bit, probably been to more unwelcoming rude RFD's. Than I have good ones.

I remember this especially when I was new to the sport. Asking questions a beginner would ask and in return they get snotty and condescending.

Unfortunately these are normally the same individuals who complain that business is not going so well, not enough new shooters. 

Then stop chasing them away ! 

I always found the blokes in York Guns ( when it was down that little side street in the city itself ) to be very moody and quite indifferent, which I couldn’t understand cos it was an Aladdin’s cave of guns and I’d have been in my element to have such a shop. 
However, that didn’t prevent me from spending a small fortune on pistols and revolvers in there over the years, simply because the stock was marvellous! 
Nevertheless I was quite chuffed to hear of the younger of the two getting done for shady and illegal dealings of various bits of hardware sometime after moving to new premises off the M6 or wherever it was. 
I believe the older bloke had left by then. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

I always found the blokes in York Guns ( when it was down that little side street in the city itself ) to be very moody and quite indifferent, which I couldn’t understand cos it was an Aladdin’s cave of guns and I’d have been in my element to have such a shop. 
However, that didn’t prevent me from spending a small fortune on pistols and revolvers in there over the years, simply because the stock was marvellous! 
Nevertheless I was quite chuffed to hear of the younger of the two getting done for shady and illegal dealings of various bits of hardware sometime after moving to new premises off the M6 or wherever it was. 
I believe the older bloke had left by then. 

I used to go there too, as you say about Aladdin's cave especially if you went upstairs.

And yes they were odd 😀