wrtten permission

mossy835

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you say that as two years ago I had an argument with a coach at a clay club, he was insistent that you needed written permission for every farm you shoot on.

Apart from the one bit of paper I send off with my renewal SGC/FAC saying I have permission to shoot, I have never had written permission or asked for it but I do have the mobile number for every farm I shoot on and most I have known for years.

I’ve always written a note out myself and simply got the landowner to sign it, but I don’t have one for every piece of land I have permission to shoot over.

At last renewal I was asked to give the name and phone numbers of two places where I had permission to shoot, and I’m assuming licensing rang them. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve picked up another two since last renewal but haven’t informed licensing as there is no obligation to do so. 

Edited by Scully

21 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

may be i was looking at if you lend a shotgun and take people on the ground, with out a cert.iv never had it in writting,

I think that is more likely the case.

The other thing with this is, a bit of paper will not verify you have permission. You could make your own, sign it yourself etc. if the police are in doubt they will call the land owner anyway.

I think most of us carry our ticket/s on our person or in the car, that alone would tell the police all they need to know about you and of course there is also your vehicle reg.

Edited by old'un

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Funny you say that as two years ago I had an argument with a coach at a clay club, he was insistent that you needed written permission for every farm you shoot on.

Apart from the one bit of paper I send off with my renewal SGC/FAC saying I have permission to shoot, I have never had written permission or asked for it but I do have the mobile number for every farm I shoot on and most I have known for years.

If the day is already here , or if it isn't then it won't be long coming where you will have to state where you will be using your shotgun and you will need the land owners to sign it , like you I have had the same perms for many years and as an example the marshes where I walked over tonight I have had for well over 40 years and never had any any paper work , we tend to look at how things were and not how they are nowadays , my main place where I shoot Pigeons I am apparently on there security app , how that work ? , I haven't a clue and I was told that by the owner , I have got a letter from the estate with the estates bill head at the top of the letter stating I have permission to do the crop protection and two telephones numbers in case anyone need to verify it , the Pigeon permits we issue out have to be kept on the person or in the motor in case anyone question the person about him being in the woods , this is the same from our wildfowling club where the membership card have to be with the person ( or in his motor ) when he is shooting on the club's rented marshes , I also have a copy of my s g c in glove department in case it is asked for.

You can fully understand people handing in . or trying to sell there guns as new requirements on your s g c seem never ending :good:           MM

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

If the day is already here , or if it isn't then it won't be long coming where you will have to state where you will be using your shotgun and you will need the land owners to sign it , like you I have had the same perms for many years and as an example the marshes where I walked over tonight I have had for well over 40 years and never had any any paper work , we tend to look at how things were and not how they are nowadays , my main place where I shoot Pigeons I am apparently on there security app , how that work ? , I haven't a clue and I was told that by the owner , I have got a letter from the estate with the estates bill head at the top of the letter stating I have permission to do the crop protection and two telephones numbers in case anyone need to verify it , the Pigeon permits we issue out have to be kept on the person or in the motor in case anyone question the person about him being in the woods , this is the same from our wildfowling club where the membership card have to be with the person ( or in his motor ) when he is shooting on the club's rented marshes , I also have a copy of my s g c in glove department in case it is asked for.

You can fully understand people handing in . or trying to sell there guns as new requirements on your s g c seem never ending :good:           MM

As been said, it will not work with a shotgun and pest control, I like others have shot a field on the day that I have never shot before, those fields are usually shot with just a verbal “yes, help yourself” or maybe a “No thanks, we have someone”.

I usually hand over a card with all my details on it and also ask the farmer if there's a number I can call should I get questioned about being on his field/s.

The only people you really need to convince you are who you say you are and that you have permission is the police and both of those are easy to prove on the day/spot.

Like I said, a piece of paper means nothing until its backed up with confirmation from the farmer.

Years ago, I had a Policeman follow two of us in to a field, we unloaded and approached him.

He asked us if we had permission to be there?

I asked him if he had permission to be on the field? As I knew we did.

His reply was priceless "of course I do" and then he asked, "Who owns this land?"

MUPPET.

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Years ago, I had a Policeman follow two of us in to a field, we unloaded and approached him.

His reply was priceless "of course I do" and then he asked, "Who owns this land?"

MUPPET.

He didn't need the Landowners permission to be there, if he was investigating  a possible offence of armed tresspass. As part of that investigation, he would need to know who the landowner was. If YOU did not know who it was, how could you have permission  ? Seems quite a reasonable line of questioning to me. 

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

MUPPET.

Some years ago I was sat in the car on a stubble field, I was about 75 yards from the gate when I noticed a police car pull into the gateway, it stopped there for about ten minutes and then drove slowly up the field and stopped next to me, I never got out the car, and neither did they, the copper in the passenger side side good morning and I replied the same, he then said, are you doing some shooting today, I said hopefully, he then just said can I ask your full name and address please, which I gave, he then said have a nice day and drove out the field.

It was obvious they knew I had SGC/FAC and who I was before they approached me.

Both of the above instances were years ago and the police were only doing a routine check , nowadays why a lot of the times the police turn up is because somebody have have complained about the noise , shooting near foot paths or a number of other reasons , this is when you need to one step ahead as saying you had permission off your mate or one of the farm workers then you could easily be led away to the police station like one of the chaps I know who got accused of firing towards a house when he fired at some Pigeons on his own land , this ended up with him been arrested , kept inside overnight , forensics checking the walls of the house to see if there were any shot marks and his guns taken away , I am not sure if he have got his guns back as the police didn't find any shot marks on the house .

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Both of the above instances were years ago and the police were only doing a routine check , nowadays why a lot of the times the police turn up is because somebody have have complained about the noise , shooting near foot paths or a number of other reasons , this is when you need to one step ahead as saying you had permission off your mate or one of the farm workers then you could easily be led away to the police station like one of the chaps I know who got accused of firing towards a house when he fired at some Pigeons on his own land , this ended up with him been arrested , kept inside overnight , forensics checking the walls of the house to see if there were any shot marks and his guns taken away , I am not sure if he have got his guns back as the police didn't find any shot marks on the house .

The thread was about having written permission, nothing about the reason why the police have turned up on the field you are shooting, if you are shooting near a public right of way that is not against the law, just needs to be done with a bit of common sense, as for shooting near houses and shot falling on them, then more fool the shooter, the shooter who tells the police he’s had permission of his mate or farm worker is on very thin ice to start with.

I will say it again, a piece of paper means nothing unless its backed up by the farmer.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

He didn't need the Landowners permission to be there, if he was investigating  a possible offence of armed tresspass. As part of that investigation, he would need to know who the landowner was. If YOU did not know who it was, how could you have permission  ? Seems quite a reasonable line of questioning to me. 

Not at all, I had written permission and still do and wasn't impressed by a bored Policeman wasting my time.

8 hours ago, old'un said:

As been said, it will not work with a shotgun and pest control, I like others have shot a field on the day that I have never shot before, those fields are usually shot with just a verbal “yes, help yourself” or maybe a “No thanks, we have someone”.

I usually hand over a card with all my details on it and also ask the farmer if there's a number I can call should I get questioned about being on his field/s.

The only people you really need to convince you are who you say you are and that you have permission is the police and both of those are easy to prove on the day/spot.

Like I said, a piece of paper means nothing until its backed up with confirmation from the farmer.

This. Many’s the time a farmer hears you shoot rabbits or whatever, and just says to you next time he sees you ‘nip upt top pasture and shut them rabbits will you.’ So you do. 🙂

12 hours ago, Morrisman said:

Why would you NOT get written permission to shoot on someone's land? Saves one hell of a lot of trouble.

Because i shoot over 30 farms i would need a briefcase  to carry around i very often go to ground and the farmer might say oh jo blogs up the road got a problem with a fox or got some rats i got a got an open license so that's not a problem its just something else to make things harder for you