wrtten permission

mossy835

On 16/11/2023 at 20:11, marsh man said:

If the day is already here , or if it isn't then it won't be long coming where you will have to state where you will be using your shotgun and you will need the land owners to sign it , like you I have had the same perms for many years and as an example the marshes where I walked over tonight I have had for well over 40 years and never had any any paper work , we tend to look at how things were and not how they are nowadays , my main place where I shoot Pigeons I am apparently on there security app , how that work ? , I haven't a clue and I was told that by the owner , I have got a letter from the estate with the estates bill head at the top of the letter stating I have permission to do the crop protection and two telephones numbers in case anyone need to verify it , the Pigeon permits we issue out have to be kept on the person or in the motor in case anyone question the person about him being in the woods , this is the same from our wildfowling club where the membership card have to be with the person ( or in his motor ) when he is shooting on the club's rented marshes , I also have a copy of my s g c in glove department in case it is asked for.

You can fully understand people handing in . or trying to sell there guns as new requirements on your s g c seem never ending :good:           MM

This ^^^

It's part of the relentless squeezing process.

I have heard stories of people being asked for proof of permission or proof of a club membership when applying for a SGC in the past. 

I am absolutely sure, although I have no proof, that people are being dissuaded from renewing their SGCs because they cannot demonstrate "good reason". Even though they don't have to.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

This ^^^

It's part of the relentless squeezing process.

I have heard stories of people being asked for proof of permission or proof of a club membership when applying for a SGC in the past. 

I am absolutely sure, although I have no proof, that people are being dissuaded from renewing their SGCs because they cannot demonstrate "good reason". Even though they don't have to.

It would be interesting to see how many s g c's were issued out in comparison to how many called it a day , another requirement could well be proof of insurance , with most clubs you get a built in insurance with your paid membership but you will get the odd person who don't want to go in any club , you can easily go through a lifetime without ever needing the insurance like I have , but having said that the next time I go out shooting my dog could cross a road to do a retrieve and a car or motorbike could come out of nowhere and cause a accident . and no doubt we have seen many ( near misses ) in our time that was only by a stroke of luck that a person or animal didn't end up with a injury or worse still a fatality .    MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

It would be interesting to see how many s g c's were issued out in comparison to how many called it a day , another requirement could well be proof of insurance , with most clubs you get a built in insurance with your paid membership but you will get the odd person who don't want to go in any club , you can easily go through a lifetime without ever needing the insurance like I have , but having said that the next time I go out shooting my dog could cross a road to do a retrieve and a car or motorbike could come out of nowhere and cause a accident . and no doubt we have seen many ( near misses ) in our time that was only by a stroke of luck that a person or animal didn't end up with a injury or worse still a fatality .    MM

Another big problem for people who live in rented or leasehold properties is the terms of the lease or rental agreement.

often (and increasingly) they exclude the keeping of a long list of hazardous items including firearms and ammunition on the premises.

On 17/11/2023 at 10:13, old'un said:

Some years ago I was sat in the car on a stubble field, I was about 75 yards from the gate when I noticed a police car pull into the gateway, it stopped there for about ten minutes and then drove slowly up the field and stopped next to me, I never got out the car, and neither did they, the copper in the passenger side side good morning and I replied the same, he then said, are you doing some shooting today, I said hopefully, he then just said can I ask your full name and address please, which I gave, he then said have a nice day and drove out the field.

It was obvious they knew I had SGC/FAC and who I was before they approached me.

Yep they would of run a check on your reg as they were sat behind you so once you said your name and address it matched with the info they already had on you so no need to go any further, if it  was America they would of shouted get out the car with 9mm glocks pointed at you 

If you live in the Met area get written permissions and they are now asking for proof of how many times you shoot.

This is for club shooting and all land perm's when you renew your tickets.

Just been asked for me to get the number of times i have shot at the farm and club and for each to contact my FAO in person.

Good luck folk's 

Edited by bottletopbill

18 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

If you live in the Met area get written permissions and they are now asking for proof of how many times you shoot.

Just been asked for me to get the number of times i have shot at the farm and club and for each to contact my FAO in person.

Good luck folk's 

There is no requirement to keep a record of how often you shoot on farm land. 

7 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

how can they make  this sort of stuff up,what will they come up with next.

Because the police want to see guns out of public ownership.

3 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Good luck folk's 

This cannot be right, are you a member of one of our org’s?

Thing's will only get  worse over time.

But if we challenge anything with out support who knows what will happen next time your due a renewal.  ?

Can see why so many are walking away from shooting  yes I am a member of BASC for many years

But can i risk my ticket   NO

Edited by bottletopbill

1 hour ago, bottletopbill said:

Thing's will only get  worse over time.

But if we challenge anything with out support who knows what will happen next time your due a renewal.  ?

Can see why so many are walking away from shooting  yes I am a member of BASC for many years

But can i risk my ticket   NO

To a certain extent things will only get worse if we allow it . If people start keeping a tally of how often they shoot ANYWHERE, then they only have themselves to blame when it becomes not only expected, but a requirement. 

5 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Good luck folk's 

is this for FAC or SGC?

On 05/12/2023 at 13:07, bottletopbill said:

Good luck folk's 

This appears to have been an aspect of policy from the Met for some time.  I have heard similar things several times before.

Also RFDs being continually bombarded with more demands for "security' which appears to be a subtle attempt to wear them down.

Feel we are all going to have to challenge the laws more harder and all the shooting groups need to unite now to start to challenge .

With our numbers in decline BASC and all the other's will see less funds in there  pots.

So lets us unite and fight together  and show we  will challenge any future changes.

Feel we are all going to have to challenge the laws more harder and all the shooting groups need to unite now to start to challenge .

With our numbers in decline BASC and all the other's will see less funds in there  pots.

So lets us unite and fight together  and show we  will challenge any future changes.

It's very hard for any individual to stand up to an FEO and some FEOs are definitely making it up as they go along.

i was out with a chap yesterday afternoon deer stalking i shot a nice buck he turned to me and said can i take a photo with him by the side of it for his portfolio for the FAO  i said what you on about portfolio he said the FAO wants a record of what i shoot for the next six mths  the other chap that was with us turned and said i am his mentor for the  the six mths then when he proves he is responsible he will open his ticket i said i have never heard of it  

12 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Think we all do not want to rock the boat due to causing more grief  .

So that is why we all moan on this site.

While I can appreciate your point of view and respect it, the more that comply with these requests the worse it will get

They are there to administer the rules/law and not make it up as they seem fit

This attitude of complying for fear of repercussions astounds me, it really does, been a certificate holder does not stop you standing up and defending your rights

My mate and i where glassing a large hill it was like a set of stairs to see if there was any rabbits out before we started stalking them with our rimfires , When a cop car pulls up behind us and then we where  asked what are you doing and my mate tells the full story them says jump in i can show you my permission and cert , So theres this policeman in the front of the truck surrounded with permission slips and my mates going this is for here and thats for there the gives the policeman his cert The policeman opens it all up and says cheers and my mate said are you no going to put them all away now ?.The policeman goes Nope i am going on my break now cheers 

button I fully agree with you but as so many have said before me it does not pay to annoy them.

This is where BASC and other's need to challenge  and defend  there members and ask for one firearms policy for every police form to use. 

According to Gov-firearms licensing, Chief officers of police are empowered to impose conditions if they think that the circumstances of the individual case mean that the condition is necessary to ensure the effective operation of the firearms controls and to minimise the risk to public safety.

How does keeping records of how often we go out shooting or what we shoot help public safety?

I know Chief officers of police have fairly wide powers on gun licencing but some of the posts above do make me wonder if this is not some underhand way of trying make it so difficult to comply with that people just give up.

As been said, this needs looking at by BASC.