OLD DRIVERS

DUNKS

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

they should be properly assessed

That's hard to do.  I doubt a simple medical would have 'banned' my father - and if it had, many thousands of others, many much much younger should also be at risk.

He was 'declining' and I'm sure his reactions were slower, but he understood that and did his best to allow for it.  Manoeuvring was usually OK because he was used to using the mirrors, but owing to a medical condition (polymyalgai rheumatica (PMR)) some days he found it hard to look over his shoulders.  Again, he took extra precautions aligning the car at junctions.  He probably wouldn't have driven far anyway if the PMR was troubling (it was mostly well controlled) as it was painful.

He was 87 when he died and still driving, but probably only 25 miles a month or so.    Fortunately we had no worse mishaps than an occasional brush with the gatepost.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

Most near accidents I have witnessed have been from arrogant, impatient drivers who think they own the road.

There was an old 'ditty' my mother used to quote

Here lies the late Matilda Grey - Who died disputing her 'right of way'.  She was right of course as she drove along, but she's just as dead as if she were wrong.

People are quick to point the finger at younger drivers, and yes with a degree of justification. However, in most cases those 'young drivers' did NOT put themselves on the road. They had parental assistance. I have even seen parents taking the hit of speeding offences, caught on camera, to prevent their 'little darlings' from being banned or facing higher insurance.  I often wondered how they would feel, if they had to deal with permanent injury or worse to their loved one, that they had helped stay on the road ?

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

oowee- assessed sounds fine, but unclear as to how this could happen. There ought to be an attitude assessment too. Most near accidents I have witnessed have been from arrogant, impatient drivers who think they own the road.

I am with you on this.

I just hoped that when my mum went to docs they would do some sort of driving assessment.  All as they did was look for altzheimers. She should not drive. 

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am with you on this.

I just hoped that when my mum went to docs they would do some sort of driving assessment.  All as they did was look for altzheimers. She should not drive. 

GP’s are limited, there are a list of conditions that bar you from driving, if you don’t have one then the GP isn’t some sort of driving assessor. 

My dad had a ‘mild cognitive impairment’  and the GP didn’t stop him driving, however as it’s progressed he has said he needs to stop and wrote to the DVLA (which we were happy about). 

If you are that concerned raise it with the GP again and the DVLA, your mum will not thank you but the person she may kill likely will! 

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

just got a new to me motor and somebody has already bumped it 🤔😒😂

My last 'nearly new' vehicle was 15 years ago.  An under 1 year old vehicle and front bumper scraped in a car park less than a week after I had it!  I still have the car and it still has the scrape (it's a plastic, but body colour painted bumper, so not rusted).

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My last 'nearly new' vehicle was 15 years ago.  An under 1 year old vehicle and front bumper scraped in a car park less than a week after I had it!  I still have the car and it still has the scrape (it's a plastic, but body colour painted bumper, so not rusted).

mine is a real back bumper knock 😂 i do like it though, Ford Fusion, bit old like me but runs well😁

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I drive and deliver new trucks, i can easily do 5/600 miles a day, the vast majority of idiot driving i see isn't the young or the elderly it's either Rep man or just generally males from about 30/ 50 ish. Constantly in a hurry no respect for others and just generally appalling driving, i'm not the best driver and don't claim to be but some of these people shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.

S

Gotta love the old chestnuts about reaction times. Older drivers - in my opinion - leave more of a gap between vehicles and consequently don't have to display their amazing reactions.

Some sort of prize in order for comparing old drivers to drink drivers. Offensive and simplistic garbage.

Living on the edge of the countryside I more or less use my car every day of my life and what I have found as the years have rolled on is your reactions slow down and I drive at the speed I am happy with , not slow by any means but not racing about either , the distance behind the car in front increase as the speed increase , my dislikes now are driving in the dark , more so if it is raining , I haven't drank for several years now so I don't have to worry about the effect alcohol , not a perfect driver by any means but my insurance is still reasonable with having the max no claim bonus .   MM 

I’m turned 70 now and still enjoy driving. Fast Beemers or Mercs by preference. I’m aware of my limitations and drive accordingly. What concerns me is that the renewal of my license requires me to state that my eyesight is to the legal standard- yes or no? I’m going to say yes of course, which it is. But does everyone else answer as honestly?

12 minutes ago, Wylye said:

I’m turned 70 now and still enjoy driving. Fast Beemers or Mercs by preference. I’m aware of my limitations and drive accordingly. What concerns me is that the renewal of my license requires me to state that my eyesight is to the legal standard- yes or no? I’m going to say yes of course, which it is. But does everyone else answer as honestly?

Easy enough to check.

Can you read a number plate at 20 metres?

Alternatively, drive to Barnard Castle

11 hours ago, Wylye said:

NO   !  I know of someone who only needs glasses for driving   ??Miraculously his eyesight improves when he gets out of the car   ?  🙄