Fentanyl, coming to a street near you

islandgun

Disturbing to see the news about a the availability of a synthetic opoid drug 100 times more powerful than morphine, highly addictive and being cut with other more expensive drugs. America having 75,000 overdose deaths linked to it, UK 50 odd.....for now !

https://nida.nih.gov/research-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67589364

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Disturbing to see the news about a the availability of a synthetic opoid drug 100 times more powerful than morphine, highly addictive and being cut with other more expensive drugs. America having 75,000 overdose deaths linked to it, UK 50 odd.....for now !

Very sadly, no real surprise? With a shackled police force, a crown prosecution service and a judiciary that don't perform the criminal element thrives?

Legalise 'party' and recreational drugs and take the control out of the hands of the criminals.

If you could go to a club for example and buy over the counter substances which are industrially produced and regulated then there would be no need to buy charlie or MDMA cut with fentanyl and drywall from some dodgy bloke with a burner phone. Part of what makes these drugs so damaging is the lack of control over their strength and what they have been diluted with. If you could ensure that these substances are sold in fixed quantities with a known strength then a large part of the risk is eliminated.

A lot of overdoses come from using very weak and low percent purity substances for the most part with the occasional batch being very high purity. When a regular user then takes the high purity stuff in the same quantity they find themselves dead very quickly. There is no way for the user to know what they have. 

I would also suggest that they are taxed in same way alcohol and tabaco are and the earnings directed toward prevention and treatment. 

If a criminal organisation can ship coke half way around the world through multiple parties with each stage taking a cut of profit with a healthy allowance for interruptions by the law then I'm sure that approved organisations could manufacture, distribute and sell these products in licensed facilities for far less even with a large percentage of tax. 

Buying in this way also removes the link to harder drugs. There will be no more 'Sorry pal, don't have any coke but I have this crack you can try. It's the same buzz, trust me'.  

It seems to work well enough in Amsterdam and large parts of the US with Cannabis. 

36 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Legalise 'party' and recreational drugs and take the control out of the hands of the criminals.

If you could go to a club for example and buy over the counter substances which are industrially produced and regulated then there would be no need to buy charlie or MDMA cut with fentanyl and drywall from some dodgy bloke with a burner phone. Part of what makes these drugs so damaging is the lack of control over their strength and what they have been diluted with. If you could ensure that these substances are sold in fixed quantities with a known strength then a large part of the risk is eliminated.

A lot of overdoses come from using very weak and low percent purity substances for the most part with the occasional batch being very high purity. When a regular user then takes the high purity stuff in the same quantity they find themselves dead very quickly. There is no way for the user to know what they have. 

I would also suggest that they are taxed in same way alcohol and tabaco are and the earnings directed toward prevention and treatment. 

If a criminal organisation can ship coke half way around the world through multiple parties with each stage taking a cut of profit with a healthy allowance for interruptions by the law then I'm sure that approved organisations could manufacture, distribute and sell these products in licensed facilities for far less even with a large percentage of tax. 

Buying in this way also removes the link to harder drugs. There will be no more 'Sorry pal, don't have any coke but I have this crack you can try. It's the same buzz, trust me'.  

It seems to work well enough in Amsterdam and large parts of the US with Cannabis. 

I’d tend to agree with this; fighting it just doesn’t seem to be working, so we need an alternative outlook. 

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Take a look at what is happening to San Francisco.

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’d tend to agree with this; fighting it just doesn’t seem to be working, so we need an alternative outlook. 

Likewise.

Yes Poor shot, Cannabis is one thing and I agree Amsterdam and large parts of the US have it right depending upon your viewpoint but Fentanyl is another thing entirely, 50-100 times stronger than Morphine, Heroin etc, it's absolutely lethal and open to abuse, i.e. unscrupulous dealers are adding it to heroin and coke. Ask Tom Petty and Prince (RIP) and thousands of other victims.

Check out 10 dollar death trip on you-tube

2 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Take a look at what is happening to San Francisco.

Likewise.

I’m not really interested to be honest; I just don’t think creating a business opportunity for criminals is the answer. 
We already have legalised alcohol, which is a helluva drug, and while it isn’t without its problems, prohibition didn’t work in America, but did create a black market which made some very unpleasant folk a lot of money. 
I’m pretty sure the government could do with the revenue. 
While we’re at it we may as legalise prostitution, which would get a lot of women off the streets where they’re currently vulnerable. 👍

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

I also agree with parts of this, legalise, tax and control, but this stuff is deadly, seemingly arriving in the US from China, how long before some enterprising chemist starts making it locally and knocking it out for a few quid !

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

is this horrific drug thing mainly in the cities ?

Drugs are prevalent throughout Ditchy. 
We’ve even had the odd few snorters in the village pub toilet. 
The local farm lads are into a bit of snorting and it was only a few years ago one of the local lasses was jailed for dealing, and then the village population was about half of what it is now….250 max at a guess. 

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

it’s a lost war because within mins of putting the phone down some kid on an electric scooter knocks with your drugs and who allowed use of this unstoppable delivery tool for drug dealers? the government! 

I don’t want to misunderstand you, but are you arguing that electric scooters are to blame?

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Basically it’s a illegal non prescription drug mixed with another prohibited drug being sold by criminals to people who probably turn to crime to fund it 

it kills and ruins lives 

The suppliers are effectively killing there customers there’s about as much sense to that as taking the stuff 

It's cheap and highly addictive. It's apparently being used by some dealers to cut with other more popular party drugs. It ensures that your middle class, company director/ weekend wide boy keeps coming back for more instead of the occasional weekend and Christmas party 3 for £100 deal.

56 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

Vancouver tried legalisation, look it up, it's a disaster. 

British columbia only decriminalised drug use. They didn't legalise it meaning the control and supply is still in the hands of the criminals and the selling of drugs commercially remains illegal.

The issues of an uncontrolled and unregulated drug supply still remain.

In the UK possession of a small amount of an illegal substance is often served with nothing more than a slap on the wrist when caught which is effectively what B.C have done just unofficially.

A quick Google reveals that there is only one bricks and mortar store in the whole of B.C that is attempting to sell drugs under the decriminalisation scheme but they are facing huge challenge In remaining legal.

I think fentanyl has taken off in such a big way over in America due to legal opioid addiction. Doctors are so keen to prescribe them for even for minor pain relief, probably encouraged by big pharmaceutical profits. Then when people are addicted and can’t afford the proper stuff, they turn to street dealers selling counterfeit drugs. I know the Mexican cartels have seriously ramped up production of fentanyl and similar drugs. It is certainly worrying if it gets a hold over here.