Battery

Bigbob

5 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Took it for a couple of long runs but when you put the ignition on you still get the You Must Start The Engine In 3 Minutes or the System Will Close Down . Its a 15 plate with i think the original battery 

If you have a charger give it a good charge , At least 12 hour's and go from there , 3 guy's at work have had the same thing and wanted to get a new battery but I took their batteries off and charged them fully and there has been no complaint's so far.

Edited by Andy H

16 hours ago, oowee said:

5% to 7% saving in fuel economy according to the american AA and upto 15% saving according to others. It's also the saving in pollution whilst stopped. My mum struggles with the system on her car as she cannot anticipate switch off with the brake so is easily caught out. 

It must surely vary with the type of driving and the traffic conditions. If you spend 2 hours creeping round 40 miles of the M25 like I did recently, it might make a difference. Luckily my stop/start on that day was in error mode and not working because, as I later found out, the battery was starting to fail.

I'd probably still be there if the engine had automatically stopped and started 50 times as it would have likely totally killed the battery.😊

One of the car programs on YouTube did an experiment regarding stop start and just running. 
they worked out stop start did save fuel but the results were not gallons and not even litres. 

if you have the aircon running most of our cars will kill the stop start function for some reason 

On 21/01/2024 at 11:30, oowee said:

Stop start is an excellent feature

No it is not. Starter motor wear is awful with it. Your using more fuel every time you start after stopping. And you have to spend on a battery. £97 is dirt cheap for a stop start battery. So that's the only bonus you get out of it. 

Know a few people in the motor trade and non speak positively about stop start.

21 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

No it is not. Starter motor wear is awful with it. Your using more fuel every time you start after stopping. And you have to spend on a battery. £97 is dirt cheap for a stop start battery. So that's the only bonus you get out of it. 

Never had a starter motor go in the last 10 years of cars all with stop start. The starter motors are designed for the job of course. The battery was the first I had to buy but given its a 16 plate I dont think that's so bad for a first battery. Maybe I am lucky driving mostly Japanese cars that said even the flaky Audi and Land Rovers have been good. 

The data above suggests otherwise on the fuel savings. Progress is tough for some but each to there own. 

51 minutes ago, oowee said:

The battery was the first I had to buy but given its a 16 plate I dont think that's so bad for a first battery. Maybe I am lucky driving mostly Japanese cars that said even the flaky Audi and Land Rovers have been good. 

I replaced the original battery in Jan 23 on my April 2009 Defender. The old one might have struggled on for another couple of years if I had been that way inclined, but I like to keep on top of things and it was obviously becoming tired.

17 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

One of my sons has an XC60 petrol and the stop/start on that seems to use the alternator to start the engine using the timing belt (or chain) as there's no starter motor noise.

On 21/01/2024 at 23:33, Andy H said:

If you have a charger give it a good charge , At least 12 hour's and go from there , 3 guy's at work have had the same thing and wanted to get a new battery but I took their batteries off and charged them fully and there has been no complaint's so far.

Thanks for that i waited till there was a good day as i could only get the bonnet into the garage and i put a battery charger on the battery , it started between 3and 4 then when i when back as it was getting dark it was down to 3 which worried me , but since then its started easier and that warnings gone , So it saved me nearly £300

The one thing I would like to turn off is the DRL's. Local garage refused to install a switch to do it. 

Some Police surveillance vehicles allegedly disabled the DRLs when they first became popular. Radios eat batteries and many kept the cars running whilst stationary, in winter, to keep warm. It sounds okay until you have a crash. Insurance companies would love it - instant no liability.

Off topic a little ....

Had to charge the 105AH battery on my 2016 X4 last month as the battery went flat due to not being used and various kit such as the alarm system slowly but surely draining it over a period of a couple of months.

First attempt was to use a 1.5A battery charger/conditioner that trickle charged it for a couple of days, enough to start it but not put any amount of real charge in.

Second attempt was to purchase a 4A/8A charger/conditioner that did a better job but stiil didnt get it to "Full" status on the chargers digital read out as expected after yet another couple of days.

Also came to realise after first attempt that the vehicle does not like having the charger connected directly to the battery which lives in the boot, the charging leads need to be connected to terminals under bonnet so as to feed the battery via the ecu/copmuter or it confuses the system and which results in various fault codes that then require clearing.

All good so far but expecting a bill of around £200+ when it eventually requires renewing and which also then needs "registering" with the vehicle ECU that a new one has been fitted, pretty sure this can be a DIY job as well rather than parting with a kidney at the main dealership.