Mopping up The Last Birds

Rim Fire

I have booked one last driven day for tomorrow. 
Since then I have been asked to go rough shooting next Saturday. 
And, blow me, a kind friend has just this evening invited me to join him as his guest for a small driven day on Wednesday.

14 hours ago, scolopax said:

Or in other words, decided to have a last look around mopping up the breeding stock

Aren't they the same breeding stock that got shot all season 🤣 everyone shoots until the end  of January 

53 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Aren't they the same breeding stock that got shot all season 🤣 everyone shoots until the end  of January 

If a shoot doesn't run at the very least a trap line and/or shoot foxes on sight, at night, throughout the breeding and hatching period any idea of "cocks only" and leaving hens as breeding stock is pretty pointless. Whatever clutches they lay will see most of what hatches eaten by stoats, weasels, foxes. To say noting of losses to non-protected avian predators. 

Where I used to shoot back in the early 1990s the keeper used to use a .22LR BSA Supersport and get in amongst the cock birds before 1 February. As he also ran a full trap line and the foxes were shot it made sense. We did indeed get some wild birds. Including partridge.

Edited by enfieldspares

we always had a couple of cock days and if we saw a shootable hen bird that was flying low we were under orders to shoot it...........the idea was that that any wild birds breeding wouldnt be low fliers......sort of Darwin approach

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

looks like a o/u 410

its a 20b👍 and all birds was flushed in a beating line no difference to shooting on a normal drive

12 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

If a shoot doesn't run at the very least a trap line and/or shoot foxes on sight, at night, throughout the breeding and hatching period any idea of "cocks only" and leaving hens as breeding stock is pretty pointless. Whatever clutches they lay will see most of what hatches eaten by stoats, weasels, foxes. To say noting of losses to non-protected avian predators. 

you are right Pheasants don't breed very well to many predators as they are a ground nesting bird  

12 hours ago, JDog said:

I see both points of view on this thread but personally I could never shoot a pheasant with an air rifle.

Where is there an  air rifle mentioned 

1 minute ago, Rim Fire said:

i know i quoted him my point was where in the thread was an air rifle mentioned to shoot pheasants with i certainly didn't and if you can't see that i am holding an over and under  specsaver comes to mind 

Yes Indeed, I am only guessing that he INCORRECTLY thought it was an AIR RIFLE.

NOT AIR RFIFLE.jpg