Darwin Award Nominations

billytheghillie

32 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

🤣  There are variations of that quote that does actually cover that scenario, but I figured the one I quoted was less likely to get a moderator's paw twitching over the 'lock thread' button...

I had always believed that it was Morris dancing and incest  that shouldn't be tried.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Well not simultaneously anyhow. 

😁

Morris dancing, practised between two consenting adults should be allowed [to be fair] although never by members of the same family 

Edited by islandgun

9 hours ago, amateur said:

I had always believed that it was Morris dancing and incest  that shouldn't be tried.

6 hours ago, Scully said:

Well not simultaneously anyhow. 

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thankfully Ive been spared twister.....and for that matter, Morris dancing but remain open minded 

4 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

Don’t knock it till you have tried it 🫣

very funny.................Twister was awful ....i played twister the the family of my mate one xmas....ended up in a very rude position with his granny (looked like something out of a Giles magazine)............that was the first time i smelt the heady concoction of Lavender and wee

I saw that incident from Langdale Ambleside MRT, and I wholly agree that the couple of people who headed up to the Fairfield Horseshoe in those conditions/weather forecast certainly didn't make the best decision that day.

I've read through  the comments on here and although I don't know much about Morris dancing, as a MR team member, I thought I could chip in on a few of the very valid points made by some of you guys.  I must say that i think my thoughts reflect most teams/team members, but they are only my thoughts/opinions.

I suppose the first is that most team members are climbers/hikers/cavers/mtb'ers/mountaineers who enjoy the outdoors and have been able to do so safe in the knowledge that if it does go pear shaped one day, there would be a group of well trained, well equipped kindred spirits who would come out to help make your bad situation better. So, when we get the opportunity to join a team and return the favour - most of us jump at the chance.  However, as time has progressed, there's a much broader spectrum of people venturing out into the hills.  I would say that a typical team's callout list includes far, far more 'unnecessary' callouts than it did even 15 years ago.  

We are all volunteers, so when a callout comes out (over an app on our mobile phones) we all have the opportunity to say no if we want.  In a case like the LAMRT one mentioned, I think most members would find it difficult to say no in those conditions, purely to support and protect your team mates as much as anything.  But, whichever shouts we attend, there's no one forcing or obliging us to turn out.  The 'honeypot' teams (national three peaks locations, Yorkshire three peaks, etc) do have much higher callout numbers than a lot of teams, and yes, it can sometimes be frustrating to see the same incidents again and again due to people biting off more than they can chew through lack of training, equipment or ability.  However, we aren't the mountain police and tearing someone a new bumhole for making an error in judgement isn't always productive - that said, there is a time and a place where 'a word' is required but that is usually done firmly and discretely rather than  as a public lynching.  It's a misnomer that we never criticise so some supporters feel that they should do it on our behalf - usually the penny drops with the casualty on the long haul of the hill and they're certainly receptive to a relevant debrief if required. 

Regarding fining people and using the funding back into the teams - the general consensus is the chance of a fine would detract people from calling for help.  We'd all rather walk a cold wet poorly prepared person off a hill with a small party of members at 5 pm rather than having a full team callout to search for and stretcher the same unconscious hypothermic casualty of the hill at midnight.  There's typically quite a lot of interaction between casualties and team leaders these days prior to calling out the team so if a self rescue option can be achieved, there's a strong chance that would happen. if fines/charges were in place, although the prospect of effort free funding sound great, any money coming from a statutory authority/local government comes with strings and requirements.  At the moment, we are all independent bodies and can spend our funding as we need to, a good example would be that when paramedics or police officers come out onto the hill with us, we can equip them in the clothing we have decided is best for our area of operations rather than their kit which is purchased centrally and usually from the supplier who tendered the lowest price.  It also works for our training/vehicles/medical kit/rescue rigging kits/etc - we can tailor our own equipment specifically to our needs.  Being independently funded also means that we aren't regulated like a statutory body, for a lot of the situations we find ourselves in, we'd still be on the roadside filling the paperwork in for hours rather than getting on the hill and doing what needs to be done.  We obviously have a duty of care to both our members and casualties but that flexibility to be dynamic with risk assessments etc is very closely guarded by all teams.

I'm out in the hills to some degree or other every day, and I must admit to seeing some folks out and having a 'shaking my head' moment pretty much on a weekly basis, but the best way to deal with it is to be encouraged that people are going out, and be lucky enough to maybe be able to help them out if they do become unstuck.  I genuinely think there are some really good points and observations made in this thread, so I thought I'd try and give a little insight from the other side of the fence so to speak.

26 minutes ago, Jonty said:

I saw that incident from Langdale Ambleside MRT, and I wholly agree that the couple of people who headed up to the Fairfield Horseshoe in those conditions/weather forecast certainly didn't make the best decision that day.

I've read through  the comments on here and although I don't know much about Morris dancing, as a MR team member, I thought I could chip in on a few of the very valid points made by some of you guys.  I must say that i think my thoughts reflect most teams/team members, but they are only my thoughts/opinions.

I suppose the first is that most team members are climbers/hikers/cavers/mtb'ers/mountaineers who enjoy the outdoors and have been able to do so safe in the knowledge that if it does go pear shaped one day, there would be a group of well trained, well equipped kindred spirits who would come out to help make your bad situation better. So, when we get the opportunity to join a team and return the favour - most of us jump at the chance.  However, as time has progressed, there's a much broader spectrum of people venturing out into the hills.  I would say that a typical team's callout list includes far, far more 'unnecessary' callouts than it did even 15 years ago.  

We are all volunteers, so when a callout comes out (over an app on our mobile phones) we all have the opportunity to say no if we want.  In a case like the LAMRT one mentioned, I think most members would find it difficult to say no in those conditions, purely to support and protect your team mates as much as anything.  But, whichever shouts we attend, there's no one forcing or obliging us to turn out.  The 'honeypot' teams (national three peaks locations, Yorkshire three peaks, etc) do have much higher callout numbers than a lot of teams, and yes, it can sometimes be frustrating to see the same incidents again and again due to people biting off more than they can chew through lack of training, equipment or ability.  However, we aren't the mountain police and tearing someone a new bumhole for making an error in judgement isn't always productive - that said, there is a time and a place where 'a word' is required but that is usually done firmly and discretely rather than  as a public lynching.  It's a misnomer that we never criticise so some supporters feel that they should do it on our behalf - usually the penny drops with the casualty on the long haul of the hill and they're certainly receptive to a relevant debrief if required. 

Regarding fining people and using the funding back into the teams - the general consensus is the chance of a fine would detract people from calling for help.  We'd all rather walk a cold wet poorly prepared person off a hill with a small party of members at 5 pm rather than having a full team callout to search for and stretcher the same unconscious hypothermic casualty of the hill at midnight.  There's typically quite a lot of interaction between casualties and team leaders these days prior to calling out the team so if a self rescue option can be achieved, there's a strong chance that would happen. if fines/charges were in place, although the prospect of effort free funding sound great, any money coming from a statutory authority/local government comes with strings and requirements.  At the moment, we are all independent bodies and can spend our funding as we need to, a good example would be that when paramedics or police officers come out onto the hill with us, we can equip them in the clothing we have decided is best for our area of operations rather than their kit which is purchased centrally and usually from the supplier who tendered the lowest price.  It also works for our training/vehicles/medical kit/rescue rigging kits/etc - we can tailor our own equipment specifically to our needs.  Being independently funded also means that we aren't regulated like a statutory body, for a lot of the situations we find ourselves in, we'd still be on the roadside filling the paperwork in for hours rather than getting on the hill and doing what needs to be done.  We obviously have a duty of care to both our members and casualties but that flexibility to be dynamic with risk assessments etc is very closely guarded by all teams.

I'm out in the hills to some degree or other every day, and I must admit to seeing some folks out and having a 'shaking my head' moment pretty much on a weekly basis, but the best way to deal with it is to be encouraged that people are going out, and be lucky enough to maybe be able to help them out if they do become unstuck.  I genuinely think there are some really good points and observations made in this thread, so I thought I'd try and give a little insight from the other side of the fence so to speak.

Top man.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done Jonty and to ALL of your colleagues.  :good:

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

+1

3 hours ago, martinj said:

Agreed! 👏

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

Top man.

1 hour ago, JKD said:

@Jonty Full respect to you, and your colleagues 👋

1 hour ago, old man said:

+1

Thank you all, it’s much appreciated.  I have to say the positives far outweigh the negatives and it’s incredibly rewarding…..most of the time 😉

4 hours ago, Jonty said:

Good post. 👍

6 hours ago, Jonty said:

👍👍👍👏