Rochdale cowboy

ditchman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His time at Bradford did not end well ! Those that met him were not that complimentary. I recall a court case and a personal assistant!

took Ian greenwood’s seat if I remember correctly!

least it’s Rochdale that he’s stood at ! 

Agriv8

On 01/03/2024 at 10:01, countryman said:

A new political party is coming, it’s not going to be English, some may argue we have that all ready

It's already happened at Local Government level in many parts of the country 

Edited by Vince Green

On 01/03/2024 at 14:14, Gordon R said:

Recent years have seen Rochdale's reputation fall into the gutter - Cyril Smith, current by-election, grooming gangs. Just how low will it sink before something is done?

Hello, Police just busted a big Drugs Gang 🤔

31 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

is it time to bring back the poll tax.

Personally - I am in favour of a poll type of tax where everyone pays their share.  But it didn't end well last time and there is no one in Government with the strength of Thatcher, so I don't believe it can happen.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Personally - I am in favour of a poll type of tax where everyone pays their share.  But it didn't end well last time and there is no one in Government with the strength of Thatcher, so I don't believe it can happen.

Pehaps it is time just to end postal votes then, except in certain circumstances ie temporarily out of country or on medical grounds.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Pehaps it is time just to end postal votes then, except in certain circumstances ie temporarily out of country or on medical grounds.

It's one of those doors that once opened is going to be very hard to close.

The medical profession will fight being given any extra work to 'evaluate' people.  They only do FAC/SGC licenses by effectively making everyone go private and pay around £50.  Imagine the uproar if you had to pay £50 if you were wanting to prove eligibility for a postal vote!

Medical grounds for benefits claims also seems to have a lot of 'interpretation'.  There was recently a case locally of a (Police officer) whose medically verified 'bad back' meant he was on sick leave from the force (not even able to do a desk job) - but was 'caught' playing Rugby.  Ended up convicted of fraud.  Local papers have many similar cases of people receiving various medically verified disability/sickness benefits ........ yet working and holidaying happily.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It's one of those doors that once opened is going to be very hard to close.

The medical profession will fight being given any extra work to 'evaluate' people.  They only do FAC/SGC licenses by effectively making everyone go private and pay around £50.  Imagine the uproar if you had to pay £50 if you were wanting to prove eligibility for a postal vote!

Medical grounds for benefits claims also seems to have a lot of 'interpretation'.  There was recently a case locally of a (Police officer) whose medically verified 'bad back' meant he was on sick leave from the force (not even able to do a desk job) - but was 'caught' playing Rugby.  Ended up convicted of fraud.  Local papers have many similar cases of people receiving various medically verified disability/sickness benefits ........ yet working and holidaying happily.

Of course you are right, it will never be stopped and neither will the fraud that goes with it.

Perhaps it is time that we start looking at electronic voting, with biometrics as a means of verifying identity.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Perhaps it is time that we start looking at electronic voting, with biometrics as a means of verifying identity.

Again very difficult because some are not suitably IT/computer literate or have no internet presence. 

I have at least one neighbour who has (genuine) mobility problems - but has no more IT than an old fashioned BT landline phone.  He manages to limp to the polling station.

There is no easy answer.  LIke you, I like the idea of a poll type tax, but I cannot see a practical way to achieve it.  Similarly, I'd be quite happy yo have electronic voting of some form, but it would have to be accessible to all and demonstrably free from risk of fraud - and I can't see how either of those can be achieved.

John, you are correct but one idea is NI number as we all have one and i agree a poll tax or as in France habitation tax everyone pays 650.00Euros average per year don.t know how its done but seems to work

11 minutes ago, armsid said:

John, you are correct but one idea is NI number as we all have one and i agree a poll tax or as in France habitation tax everyone pays 650.00Euros average per year don.t know how its done but seems to work

Certainly NI might be a starting point, but part of the difficulty is proving that you are the genuine holder of that NI number.  Proving one's ID is an issue.  There are apparently a great many driving tests taken by people to are 'paid' to take the test on behalf of the applicant.  Fraudulent services are widely offered.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65889217

The UK has become a country of fraud - and the reasons for that are a whole topic and a half in themselves - and just maybe not unrelated!

I would love to see this whole issue of having a proven ID solved - and on a personal note - I'd be perfectly happy to have an ID card - but that would raise howls of protest from some people.  I do after all have a passport, driving license, SGC, bus pass, NI number, UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) number, Govt Gateway account, so why not an ID card?

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

It didn't end well last time mainly because they got greedy and kicked the backside out of it.