Rochdale cowboy

ditchman

Just now, wymberley said:

It didn't end well last time mainly because they got greedy and kicked the backside out of it.

I'm no expert, but I believe the total raised from the Poll Tax (assuming all was paid) was to have been about the same as the previous 'rates' system raised?  It was however to be paid by all adult residents, not just by the 'householder'.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was kicked out because the authorities would have found out that more people lived at address than was humanly possible and certain political parties would not have won the seats that they did

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

:good:

On the subject of rigged postal votes - is it time to bring back the poll tax. So every person eligible to vote, has to pay their way.

Absolutely impossible to administer.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Again very difficult because some are not suitably IT/computer literate or have no internet presence.

Once again you are right, but this will change with time. 

I think the reason it will never happen, is it negates the need for the house of lords and most of the house of commons.

Once electronic voting is introduced, setting up elections/referendums becomes cheap and quick. The people can literally have a say on everything.

Want to send illegals to Rwanda, setup an electronic referendum, let the people decide. 

And so on.................

It's too much democracy for the establishment to maintain control.

Want to allow energy companies to charge customers £28 to clear other people's debts....................

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Again very difficult because some are not suitably IT/computer literate or have no internet presence. 

I have at least one neighbour who has (genuine) mobility problems - but has no more IT than an old fashioned BT landline phone.  He manages to limp to the polling station.

There is no easy answer.  LIke you, I like the idea of a poll type tax, but I cannot see a practical way to achieve it.  Similarly, I'd be quite happy yo have electronic voting of some form, but it would have to be accessible to all and demonstrably free from risk of fraud - and I can't see how either of those can be achieved.

Igor in Russia will fill your forms cheaply?

Driving licences in Birmingham were rumoured to be available on a fee basis when I worked there?

20 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm no expert, but I believe the total raised from the Poll Tax (assuming all was paid) was to have been about the same as the previous 'rates' system raised?  It was however to be paid by all adult residents, not just by the 'householder'.

The poll tax addressed the rising tactic by Labour of registering non existent 'ghost' voters onto the electoral register and then using their registration to generate postal votes.

It was rife, it still happens today. The voting fraud  in Tower Hamlets in 2014 identified thousands of fake names on the electoral register.

Labour couldn't afford to lose so many votes so the protests and riots resulted

54 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The poll tax addressed the rising tactic by Labour of registering non existent 'ghost' voters onto the electoral register and then using their registration to generate postal votes.

It was rife, it still happens today. The voting fraud  in Tower Hamlets in 2014 identified thousands of fake names on the electoral register.

Labour couldn't afford to lose so many votes so the protests and riots resulted

I think most of us agree with the basic ideas behind the poll tax, but I have not seen any practical way of implementing the fundamental needs in an election of giving everyone one vote that is exclusive to that person and not transferable.

As mentioned above, I personally have no objection to needing ID for certain actions.  I have used photo ID to vote in local elections.  As a person who travels little and of generally 'unadventurous' habits, even I already have several separate forms of physical photo ID, (passport, driving license, SGC, bus pass) and also several separate forms of 'numerical' ID (NI number, NHS number, Government Gateway ID, Unique Taxpayer Reference) and why can some of these cannot be combined and simplified and used in some physical form as an ID card?

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think most of us agree with the basic ideas behind the poll tax, but I have not seen any practical way of implementing the fundamental needs in an election of giving everyone one vote that is exclusive to that person and not transferable.

As mentioned above, I personally have no objection to needing ID for certain actions.  I have used photo ID to vote in local elections.  As a person who travels little and of generally 'unadventurous' habits, even I already have several separate forms of physical photo ID, (passport, driving license, SGC, bus pass) and also several separate forms of 'numerical' ID (NI number, NHS number, Government Gateway ID, Unique Taxpayer Reference) and why can some of these cannot be combined and simplified and used in some physical form as an ID card?

Because ID cards for voting is racist, (it must be, Labour said so). So by that logic general ID cards must be too, right???

Edited by Newbie to this

The fact that we never learn, again gives opportunity for those in charge to achieve control of those beyond the law by penalising the law abiding? Standard fare, cheap to achieve the aim of more control over society?

I don't want another marker thank you very much. 

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

They you go.

i shall book myself in to...."faraway celestile rest home"..........and then i will be looked after and wont bother anybody no more

1 hour ago, London Best said:

You would likely get yourself expelled!

the last time i got expelled was refusing to fag...and saying no to being rogered sensless by Haywood-smith 2

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

i shall book myself in to...."faraway celestile rest home"..........and then i will be looked after and wont bother anybody no more

Now come on, we've got used to your interesting Narfolk based spellage, but now that you've started repeating yourself, some of us are wondering what's going on................................:w00t:

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Now come on, we've got used to your interesting Narfolk based spellage, but now that you've started repeating yourself, some of us are wondering what's going on................................

If he don't post seven times a day he gets withdrawal symptoms. :-)

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh get on with it for gawd's sake, you know we all love you and your oddities.    :w00t:

Foe Gawd's sake, don't write about his oddities, otherwise he'll be getting them out.