Selling a firearm

as long as you've fulfilled the law regarding the sale, IE, filling in the buyers certificate and the informing the old bill (either online or by letter) that you've sold the gun and who to you have done all you need to to comply with the legislation.

it will get removed at your next renewal.

you should not write on your own certificate UNLESS instructed to do so by your licencing authority.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Doubt anyone will care. Just write the date sold & the transfer ref number in pencil next to it. Life’s too short.

As there's no difference with regard to the paperwork for 'selling' and 'giving' and I may just be going to do the latter, what is a "transfer ref number? I've never heard of this. MTIA.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

As there's no difference with regard to the paperwork for 'selling' and 'giving' and I may just be going to do the latter, what is a "transfer ref number? I've never heard of this. MTIA.

When you tell your local force you sold/given a gun, the system will generate a reference number for you.  The Avon and Somerset system will even generate a little PDF for you of the details to download and keep. Your force my vary, of course.

This is why I tell people to use the online form as opposed to letter or sending an email.  You get a reference number at the end of a  (nominally) completed process.  Unlike say an email, which is sent in plain text (readable by anyone in the middle), and disappears into a black hole.  As for letters, plenty of threads on that.

4 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

don't write on it as above you are only to write on it to sign it

40 minutes ago, old man said:

Is the correct answer.

Rebel without a cause, me.

But the wonderful thing about pencils is, you can use an eraser.

If we're brutally honest, in 2024, what's written on your certificate is of secondary importance to what the NFLMS database thinks you have. 

Edited by udderlyoffroad

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

If we're brutally honest, in 2024, what's written on your certificate is of secondary importance to what the NFLMS database thinks you have.

I'm sure that is correct, but I assume we can't access (obviously only our own record) to check they have it correct and up to date?

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Your force my vary, of course.

May doesn't come into it - it WILL. I have just emailed informing Devon and Cornwall of an action and have received a response which in real terms is nothing less than a warning. They strongly advise kicking off the renewal procedure immediately you receive the notification which will be 4 months before your certificate expires. This equates to between 17 and 18 weeks. MY simple variation has just taken between 21 and 22 weeks so there would appear to be no chance. They seem more obsessed with threatening the certificate holders with what could happen if they themselves fail to meet their own targets. Hopefully, if what I've been told is correct then things may improve after several visits from a nearby constabulary offering advice on how to do it. 

There's a saying that if you treat anyone as though they were something you should not be surprised that they do actually become that thing.

Edited by wymberley

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Personally I don’t see what difference it makes nor the point really. It will be removed at next renewal anyhow as long as licensing has been informed as per the rules. 🤷‍♂️

Until you get your SGC / FAC back at renewal listing guns you sold years ago still on your ticket. 

Luckily when I pointed this out, and gave them the date I notified them, along with the reference number they gave me for notifying them, it was soon corrected. 

24 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Until you get your SGC / FAC back at renewal listing guns you sold years ago still on your ticket. 

Luckily when I pointed this out, and gave them the date I notified them, along with the reference number they gave me for notifying them, it was soon corrected. 

Makes you wonder why we bother then if that’s the case. Cant say it’s ever happened to me, but I wonder what the reaction would be if we made as many cock ups as they? 
Have only ever had one ‘reference number’ as I usually inform them by letter. 

On 20/03/2024 at 08:36, RCB56 said:

The only time you should write on your SGC is when you sign it.

Oh no. Not, yet again, this old and very much untrue chestnut. 

There are a number of occasions when FAC holder or SGC holder may write on there own FAC or SGC.

I have done it

1) when I have transferred a firearm held on my RFD onto my personal FAC and personal SGC when selling a gun held as stock to myself. See 5).

I have done it

2) when I have imported a firearm from the USA back in the day, a .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson pre-Model 27 I've mentioned in the "Favourite Gun" thread, when these were sent by normal US Postal Service accompanied by a valid UK Import Licence. Indeed those personally importing firearms or shotguns into the UK often also do so as HM Customs or Border Force often request such is done on the person's arrival with the weapon at the UK border.

I have done it

3) when transferring my just deceased father's shotguns (held on his SGC) onto my SGC in my role as his executor.

I have done it

4) when multi-shot shotguns went from SGC status to FAC status following the 1988 Firearms Act and I "transferred" my unrestricted 16 bore Browning Auto-5 onto the appropriate newly granted variation slot on my FAC.

That's four occasions. 1) and 3) you might argue I've done it as a different "actor" but ") and 4) I've done it as myself.

And 5) as below if I hadn't had an RFD at the time I'd also have done it as myself.

And

5) Others times can be when a shotgun is given to you on your SGC by a third party who for whatever reason withholds their name and address. Which I have done onto my RFD Register but not on to my own FAC or SGC but would have been entitled nevertheless to do if I had had no RFD.

So I do wish that PW fellow members should stop making up law that doesn't exist. Or denying procedures that are in fact permitted.

I apologise if that sounds impolite or harsh but to say that apart from your signature you never write on your own FAC or SGC is incorrect.

Edited by enfieldspares