Shotgun cert, not enough space for a new gun.

I’m sure there’s a simple solution but don’t want to get the wrong side of the law especially as I’ve just put my renewal in. I’ve been offered a sxs that I like but have no more space for new entries on my ticket. Must happen a lot but not sure what to do. Thanks in advance. 👍

Just a warning some RFD’s might refuse to do this, Holts wouldn’t when I was in the same situation.

As I posted elsewhere, the important thing is notifying the police (preferably using the online form) ASAP. What’s written on your certificate must match their records but is of secondary importance.

Also, were you not mid-renewal, the answer would be to call the licensing team and request a re-print, explaining your certificate table is full. But personally I’d do as advised.

The rules are quite quite clear. That the entry must be made in Table 2. The solution is call you licensing department and they will print you off a new page with Table 2 on it. Not a whole SGC but just an extra page with a Table 2. It'll be with you in a few days.

Edited by enfieldspares

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

The rules are quite quite clear. That the entry must be made in Table 2. The solution is call you licensing department and they will print you off a new page with Table 2 on it. Not a whole SGC but just an extra page with a Table 2. It'll be with you in a few days.

When I ran out of space on Table 2, Staffs & West Mids would only print me a new Table 2 if I sent BOTH parts of my SGC to them and they sent me a complete new cert but with the same expiry date.

38 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

If I sent BOTH parts of my SGC to them and they sent me a complete new cert but with the same expiry date.

Indeed, I'm not even sure the SGC is in 2 parts per se.

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Not a whole SGC but just an extra page with a Table 2. It'll be with you in a few days.

Certainly not my experience.  A reprint is a reprint.  And the definition of a few days is....variable, last time I requested one it took them 2.5 weeks

54 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

When I ran out of space on Table 2, Staffs & West Mids would only print me a new Table 2 if I sent BOTH parts of my SGC to them and they sent me a complete new cert but with the same expiry date.

Exactly what Merseyside require too.

Had this with Greater Manchester Police a couple of years ago. Sent my cert back in and got a new one within a couple of days. I am aware that not everyone is happy with GMP, but I have always had excellent service.

I'm guessing the small amount of available entries on the table is to ensure the licencing team see the licence to check people have reported purchases properly, but really it doesn't make too much sense. You may only buy a gun every 3 years, or you could buy 10 in a day. 

It would feel to make sense for the police to give a bigger table, to stop admin time turning around re-prints for those that like to buy and sell.

22 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

It would feel to make sense for the police to give a bigger table, to stop admin time turning around re-prints for those that like to buy and sell.

It would make more sense to be able to enter the information online yourself and not worry too much about the paper version.  Database needs to be accurate, not the piece of paper you hold.  I know the law, written prior to the modern internet, does not agree, but I can dream.

25 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It would make more sense to be able to enter the information online yourself and not worry too much about the paper version.  Database needs to be accurate, not the piece of paper you hold.  I know the law, written prior to the modern internet, does not agree, but I can dream.

Almost like a credit card..... and an account you can see your digi-cert?

Sounds almost 2007 futuristic! Keep dreaming ;)

On 27/03/2024 at 09:59, London Best said:

Err, should have a dealers licence.

I have flights of fancy and I have bought and sold a few guns. Not for profit, but trying something and deciding I don't like it. I am certainly not a dealer, but I have cycled through a few guns meaning I am on my third certificate in 3 years.

In addition looking after friends guns for more than 72 hours meant adding to my licence. So that takes up space for people moving house or don't have enough storage at times.

Edited by HantsRob

18 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I have flights of fancy and I have bought and sold a few guns. Not for profit, but trying something and deciding I don't like it. I am certainly not a dealer, but I have cycled through a few guns meaning I am on my third certificate in 3 years.

And then you wonder why the firearms licensing departments are backlogged and over worked. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

And then you wonder why the firearms licensing departments are backlogged and over worked. 

That feels a little unfair. As a new shooter who wants a 12G, 20G, SXS, and semi, that's already nearly a full cert. I don't think the issue is people like me wanting to love the sport and find the right gun. I think the bigger issue would be the lack of ability to look after someones gun for longer than 72 hours. It would be the protractedness of FEOs going to do housing inspections and spending a long time talking about non-shooting related topics and enjoying the tea and biscuits too much. It would be the inefficiency of shuffling paper when it could actually be done more efficiently online. It's the re-printing and processing of certificates with small slots etc.

Sure, I am sure I have not helped and not buying new guns would help the licensing team. But, if we all only owned 1 gun then they'd all run better, right? 

I have paid for my licence and a service, albeit subsidised. I don't feel that comment really is appropriate. 

You are certainly not alone, judging by the rate at which most (of the beginners) on here seem to buy and sell guns, largely thinking that the next one is magically going to make them shoot better. 
I have owned quite a lot of different shotguns, but I don’t think I have had enough to fill your three certificates over the last sixty odd years.

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

You are certainly not alone, judging by the rate at which most (of the beginners) on here seem to buy and sell guns, largely thinking that the next one is magically going to make them shoot better. 
I have owned quite a lot of different shotguns, but I don’t think I have had enough to fill your three certificates over the last sixty odd years.

Only ever had 4, and only 3 now, two of those for over 30 years. All for a different job, all sxs, 2x 12 bore and 1 x 10 bore.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

It doesn’t take long to fill one up 

example relative dies you inherit his 5 guns 

20 bore 

12 bore wildfowling gun 

best 12 bore 

Semi automatic 

none of which are any good to you to get the best price you trade them all in for your dream gun 

thats 6 slots used 

then your grandson is interested you buy one for him (left handed)

7 slots not long to fill it 

it’s worse with a fac with moderators included