Watch Hill

This is a small shooting ground on the Cumbrian West coast which I have mentioned on here before. 
It’s a great, friendly little ground but has recently had complaints about noise. The owner told us this was pending when there the other week. 

As a result the owner got in touch with Gamebore and asked what they could suggest. This is a 1350fps clay cartridge with a very fast burning powder which apparently produces no ‘crack’ at distance. 
Grand. 👍

image.png

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The complaint will most probably come from some of the wealthy NIMBY's that have bought second houses up there.

SIMPLES,if you want it quiet and not have to complain about noise don't buy a house near a church that's been there a thousand years or a clay pigeon club that's been there for 50.👍

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

He should suggest people shoot .410 guns or moderated guns .that will keep the noise down .

No one wants to shoot .410. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The complaint will most probably come from some of the wealthy NIMBY's that have bought second houses up there.

This……

2 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

SIMPLES,if you want it quiet and not have to complain about noise don't buy a house near a church that's been there a thousand years or a clay pigeon club that's been there for 50.👍

….and this. 

Just been chatting with my eldest Son who shoots there now and again.

He likes Allister and his straight talking.

It will be interesting to see if using the newly badged ammunition will lower the noise level.

Bloody NIMBY's

It's an opportunity to sell their carts, but always a bad sign when you need to have a "banned carts" list.

Ower in Hampshire have several carts that are banned, and it's well posted. A shame that many people ignore that, and risk the ground.

It only takes ONE person to complain, it costs them NOTHING to do so.

However it can cost the grounds thousands to fight the issue. Local Councils can be a pain, their planning Officers are sometimes quite THICK about the requirements placed on a ground. A few years ago, the local ground had a single noise complaint,  from someone who did not even live nearby. It took 2 years and a lot of money, but the ground won. Planning Officer advised the ground to build earth banks, to decrease the noise. Several months later, a second Planning Officer,  came and ordered them to remove the earth banks because......... they did not have planning permission to erect them  ???

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Eastern Bloc Cartridges exceptional LOUDNESS.

In the 1970’s, when I was using exclusively Baikal cartridges (cheapest!) everyone in my little syndicate, shooting in a 600 acre forest, said they could always tell when it was me who fired the shot.

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just been chatting with my eldest Son who shoots there now and again.

He likes Allister and his straight talking.

It will be interesting to see if using the newly badged ammunition will lower the noise level.

Bloody NIMBY's

Yeah, he’s a genuinely nice bloke. 
Indeed. Hopefully these cartridges will prevent any restrictions on what is a good little ground. 👍

I shot at a sporting ground every Sunday for years. It was once in the countryside far from the madding crowd. No longer. It is now half surrounded by housing estates. One of them has back gardens literally overlooking the ground. The club receives complaints regularly and so do the police, but the club was there first so no complaints have ever been a problem. The club is still going strong. This one in Cumbria just needs to stand firm. 

Noise complaint from a NIMBY is the reason the excellent Holmfirth Shooting School is no longer running. Bought a house - just over the road - 10 yards away - knew the ground was there then complained. 

Hello to you All,

Allister here form Watch Hill Shooting Ground, I stumbled upon this post and would just like to say a few things in regards.

Firstly many thanks to Scully for the kind words and advertisement in previous posts it is very much appreciated by us all.

It is an unfortunate situation we are in but one that any ground could face. Everyone has a right to complain, that's just life. 

I need to say that the person who has made the complaint has been very amicable in the whole thing. We have talked face to face and they do not want closure or other restrictions they just want the noise reduced. The topography of our landscape makes this hard as there is almost a clear line of sight from us to them.  Our local environment agency, although very firm have also been very fare also. It has been a very uncomfortable time for us all with the need to make dramatic changes to reduce the noise. However discovering the Cartridges Gamebore could manufacture for to us, only because we are in this situation has been the best solution possible as these are used at several other grounds down country and have a proven record with other local authorities to back this up.

We have tested these cartridges with a noise meter and they truly do work, although at 300m away you can hear them, the noise meter did not move above the ambient reading. We know this is unfortunate and not everyone will be happy to use them but they will hopefully future proof us from further complaints.

Every body is welcome at Watch Hill. It is only family that run the ground. My brother Russell was the shooter and we have shot clays on our farm since teenagers. He started the shooting ground and I was asked by all the patrons to keep it going after his tragic passing 10 years ago. Watch Hill Shooting Ground is our passion but more importantly our connection to Russ, and We will do everything possible we can to cement its future foe all to enjoy.

Thanks if you read this, if you want more info our ground is an face book under its name.

Take care all,

Allister and all at Watch hill shooting ground.

Ps, HantsRob I had to borrow the money to be able to buy 25000 cartridges (minimum order for specials). An "opportunity" I could have done without!

On 26/03/2024 at 03:13, Watch Hill said:

Ps, HantsRob I had to borrow the money to be able to buy 25000 cartridges (minimum order for specials). An "opportunity" I could have done without!

Ouch, quite an outlay for sure! Hopefully your shooters will all support you and the team and only buy from your stock to keep the ground going!