CPSA no longer allows autos or pumps in skeet comps?

I was told by a fellow shooter (possibly not too reliably!) that the CPSA no longer allow autos and pumps in skeet comps and some other disciplines.

Is he talking cobblers or is there some truth in it?   It doesn't bother me much as I am not a competitive skeet shooter or CPSA member, just curious.

Cheers

A lot of revised rules are just falling in to place from the 31st of March.

Many of the trap disciplines are now not allowed to be shot with self loaders.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/general/2024/03/28/cpsa-general-and-technical-rules-addendum/6025

It is to fall in line with ISSF rules.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

The CPSA's reasoning is to come in line with the rules of the INTERNATIONAL SHOOTING SPORTS FEDERATION.

Here is the update;

CPSA General and Technical Rules Addendum 27/03/2024

The ISSF have brought in the below rules in Olympic Trap and Olympic Skeet for safety reasons. Please note that all Olympic Trap and Olympic Skeet registered shoots should follow the updated rules.

c) All shotguns must be kept unloaded except on the shooting station and only then after the command or signal “START” has been given.

d) Cartridges must not be loaded in the shotgun until the athlete is standing on the shooting station, facing the machines with the shotgun pointed towards the target flight area and after the Referee has given permission.

9.4.2.1 Types of Shotguns

a) All types of smoothbore shotguns, but excluding semi-automatics and pump action shotguns, may be used, provided their calibre does not exceed 396 EDITION 2022 (First Print 01/2023) Effective 1 January 2022 © ISSF 12 gauge. Shotguns smaller than 12 gauge may be used.

9.4.2.2 Release Triggers

Shotguns with any type of “release” trigger mechanisms are prohibited.

After reviewing the above, the board have looked at the home trap disciplines and, following the ISSF precedent, have updated the DTL and ABT rules to the following:

DTL & ABT

Semi-automatic guns are now prohibited for safety reasons in DTL and ABT registered shoots.

2.28 All types of guns, including “Semi-automatics”, “Pump-action”, 12bore and smaller may be used for shooting, apart from in DTL and ABT shoots where semi-automatic use is prohibited. No handicap will be given to competitors using guns of a calibre smaller than 12bore.

ABT

In ABT the gun must now be unloaded between stations.

27.26 All guns must be carried OPEN AND COMPLETELY UNLOADED when moving between stations 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the firing line.

27.30 The competitor is not allowed to turn from the shooting station before their gun is OPENED AND COMPLETELY UNLOADED. When a broken target is thrown or the shooting is interrupted, the gun must be opened. No gun shall be closed until the order to continue has been given.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

5 hours ago, TRINITY said:

All general common sense stuff in my opinion and as been said, semi autos already extinct on the said comps. 

The other interesting one is release triggers, I have seen them being used

I bought my DT11 because the first owner couldn't shoot without a release trigger. He said it was in his head but it was the only way he can shoot.

I do get it though, once you pull the trigger, I am not sure how easy it is to decock or if you're committed to firing? I'd like to hear from anyone that has shot one if there's any way to decock or open or anything once the trigger is fully pulled but not released.

I would be VERY interested to see any facts or figures regarding safety issues with the banned guns. In my experience when running a shooting ground, all of  the 'incidents ' I witnessed, involved break open guns.

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

Indeed, they also make trap versions of some of their autos, or once did. 

And still do.

In fact, the only Beretta Trap semi auto I have ever seen was in USA. I owned and used a Remmie 1100 Trap for many years. I won a lot of Comps. with that gun, until it finally fell apart in Eire  !   😄

Edited by Westley

18 minutes ago, Wylye said:

That’s certainly the case but I wonder how many of them shoot trap over here?

I would suggest, very few, however I can recall seeing a lot of skeet shooters here. Mostly shooting finely tuned Beretta 391's.

11 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I bought my DT11 because the first owner couldn't shoot without a release trigger. He said it was in his head but it was the only way he can shoot.

I do get it though, once you pull the trigger, I am not sure how easy it is to decock or if you're committed to firing? I'd like to hear from anyone that has shot one if there's any way to decock or open or anything once the trigger is fully pulled but not released.

Here you go:  

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Thankyou

I can see why that wouldn't be seen as particularly safe!

I really do not understand why they are needed . In my mind such a mechanism has far more potential to to cause an accidental discharge than a standard gun. This is only my opinion but others may disagree. 

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

I really do not understand why they are needed . In my mind such a mechanism has far more potential to to cause an accidental discharge than a standard gun. This is only my opinion but others may disagree. 

So I got my DT because the guy flinched on pulling, anticipating the recoil. He's tried so many things to remove that flinch but can't. But, he can release without a problem. 

I don't know if he was getting a release/release trigger, or a release/pull. 

Either which way, it's not inherently safe and requires dedicated thought to make safe. I wonder how many times a shooter will just shoot into the air as it's easier than making safe safely, then get into that as a bad habit.

The auto ban does not apply to English Skeet, just the Olympic version. The "Safety" reason seems a complete invention, with no real basis. I can understand that on DTL or ABT, an auto ejecting shells might distract your neighbour, but autos have been used for many, many years and I don't recall any serious incidents. Skeet shooters have no-one stood next to them

From memory, more skeet one hundred straights have been shot with a Remington 1100 gas auto than any other gun. 

Mate and me watched a lad straight the skeet layout at Westlands some time last year. 
He was using a Beretta auto he said he’d ‘built’ himself, although I didn’t ask him what that entailed. 
His girlfriend was buttoning for him and he missed three at his first attempt, then straighted it on the second. 
Good to watch. 

More ISSF enforced ******** based on nothing more than prejudice.

There are generally no unsafe guns, merely unsafe shooters.

17 hours ago, Scully said:

He was using a Beretta auto he said he’d ‘built’ himself, although I didn’t ask him what that entailed. 

Custom springs recoil/magazine, larger controls, re-worked trigger, on a gas gun.. enlarged ports, polished magazine slide, polished internals including bolt, bolt slide, stronger extractor, custom stock/foreends, custom loading gate,  etc and then normal extended forcing cones, custom chokes, possibly re-ribbed, custom bead sight, etc

There is quite a lot you can play about with.

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

More ISSF enforced ******** based on nothing more than prejudice.

There are generally no unsafe guns, merely unsafe shooters.

Custom springs recoil/magazine, larger controls, re-worked trigger, on a gas gun.. enlarged ports, polished magazine slide, polished internals including bolt, bolt slide, stronger extractor, custom stock/foreends, custom loading gate,  etc and then normal extended forcing cones, custom chokes, possibly re-ribbed, custom bead sight, etc

There is quite a lot you can play about with.

Thanks, I am aware of this ( having had a couple of pistols worked on back in the day ) I merely meant I wasn't interested  enough to ask. 
Thanks anyhow. 👍